Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: From 640 to 730... To 670 on actual GMAT.. Retake! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You know, that's a tough question because I don't know you that well. On average, I'd say don't cancel that 670. With that said, I have had students who scored 660 to 690, and I've had them cancel the scores because I knew they were capable of earning a much higher score. That is, I knew that these students were going to do whatever it took to boost their scores up another 50 to 80 points. Without having specific data on you, I'd say that you probably don't want to cancel that score. If you take the test again and increase your score by 40-50pts, you'll be in good shape. You can do it. Study hard.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ddb1990,

First off, a 670 is a strong score (it's right around the 85th percentile overall), so it might be enough to get you into your first-choice Business School. With a Q41, it's understandable that you would want to retest though.

I'm hoping that you can clarify some of the details in your post:

1) When you took your CATs, did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you ever seen a question on a CAT that you had answered before?
2) You've repeatedly referred to the Quant section in terms of 'math.' How often do you use Quant Tactics to answer Quant questions (as opposed to just 'doing math' to get to the solution)?

In addition, I'd like to know about the last few days before your Exam and a bit more about Test Day itself:
1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Did you finish any sections early?
5) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Scott - I think I'll stick with keeping this score and hopefully showing improvement when I take the next one :).

Rich - thanks for your post, you've been a great help at the start of my study path and now again near (hopefully) the end.

To answer a couple of your questions (see bolded):

1) When you took your CATs, did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you ever seen a question on a CAT that you had answered before? I did not take any more than once, but in the 3rd and 4th GMAT Prep CAT, I did see a number of questions twice, let's say 2-4 tops as the first time I took the GMAT Prep 3rd exam, the system crashed halfway through the Quant section without saving
2) You've repeatedly referred to the Quant section in terms of 'math.' How often do you use Quant Tactics to answer Quant questions (as opposed to just 'doing math' to get to the solution)? Yes, definitely - I intertwine these terms without actually intending a different meaning. Very often I used the tactics to get so solutions - MGMAT gave me a lot of those useful tips

In addition, I'd like to know about the last few days before your Exam and a bit more about Test Day itself:
1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?My exam was on a Tuesday. I took it relatively easy on the Saturday, just went over some basic theory for Quant. On Sunday I took a GMAT Prep exam and again on Monday. I took both exactly at noon, as my real test was at noon on the Tuesday. Scott mentioned earlier that this may have tired my brain out, but it didn't feel like it did (however it may have without me noticing, of course)
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test? Very well. Probably took me a little longer to fall asleep but it was OK
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home? Almost an hour. About 40 minutes on the subway
4) Did you finish any sections early? AWA, finished that almost 10 minutes early. IR was right about 30 mins. Quant was exactly at 75 mins and Verbal was done in about 55 minutes (20 mins left)
5) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)? I probably had this a bit for Quant. I actually had to guess my first question (although I narrowed it down to 2/3 answers)

Thanks Rich!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ddb1990,

The extra information that you've provided is important, as it describes some things that you should have done differently during your studies (and some thing that you shouldn't have done at all).

With a Q41, you would have made a number of little mistakes throughout the Quant section and you would have missed out on a lot of 'strategy-based' points. If you were forced to guess on a bunch of questions at the end of the section (because you were low on time), then that could have impacted your score - but nothing in your posts implies that that was the case. Referring to the MGMAT lessons as "tips" leads me to believe that you're not really approaching the Quant section is a strategic way. You should be using Tactics on at least half of the Quant questions you face on Test Day, but that too is not something that your posts imply that you're doing.

Taking two CATs in the two days before your Official GMAT was NOT a good idea. The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week. By taking two CATs right before your Official GMAT, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day. Even if you didn't "feel" tired, what you describe about your first Quant questions certainly makes it sound like you were not at your best.

Thankfully, all of this is relatively easy to 'fix.' You're going to need some new CATs to work with and you might also benefit from investing in some new practice materials that will emphasize the Tactics that I mentioned earlier.

1) Have you scheduled your next GMAT yet?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts