Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [3]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMATClub to attend GMAC Test Prep Summit (2016) [#permalink]
Just bumping this to the top: no additional questions?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
mvictor wrote:
only 1 question at the moment:
will the pilot program, from feb-march, be implemented? I mean, will the test takers be allowed to select the order of the sections?

This pilot was earlier in 2016. Please indicate where you saw this would be done in 2017 as well.

Or are you asking if the pilot will be an new feature for test takers?

Thanks,
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
GMATClub to attend GMAC Test Prep Summit (2016) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I am no longer active on this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 06 Dec 2016, 00:46.
Last edited by dabral on 20 Aug 2023, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
so to summarize, below is the current list of questions:

- Will the pilot of choosing the order be rolled out
- When will the Question Pack 2 be release by the GMAC
- If a test is taken in a prior academic year, does it need to be re-submitted to the school or will the school still have the score report
- Why the limit on 8 tests

Thanks,

mohater
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Here is the full thread on the 8-exam "lifetime limit"...as you can see there are several questions surrounding this new policy: not just why it is being implemented, but precisely how it is being implemented.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-announces-a-lifetime-limit-of-8-gmat-exams-230213.html

1) Does the official number of attempts include cancelled scores, cancelled test dates, and/or postponed tests?
2) Why is it now "effective on December 17th, 2016" and what does that mean precisely? Does the clock start on that date, or is there simply a small window of time left to take more than 8 GMATs total?
3) How far back in time do the test-taking records go, and how can we determine our total number of official attempts?

Thanks mohater !

I would also like to hear more about the mini-GMAT:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-announces-mini-gmat-for-emba-applicants-65-less-questions-216347.html#p1670158
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Folks,

Back from the summit. As usual, great trip. Very informative and great seeing familiar and new faces in GMAC and the prep organizations.

The organizers will send the handouts later. For now, I'll post the answers to the questions I posed to the GMAC staff:

Q: Will the pilot for choosing sections be rolled out?
A: There is no plan at this time to roll this out. If and when this will be changed, there will be advanced notice to the test prep community as well as the test candidates.

Q: If a test is taken in a prior academic year but a candidate will apply in the subsequent year, will the previous submission be sufficient?
A: Yes, the feeds will contain prior data. Different schools receive results in different ways (some still receive paper copies of scores). If you put in the wrong code (PT vs FT vs EMBA vs PhD), these depts don't always share info directly. You should be able to reach out to the adcom to confirm it's there. You don't need to re-submit to the school if you've already submitted and the score is still within the validity window.

Q: 8 test limit, do canceled scores count, do canceled test dates count, effectivity date, when do records begin, etc
A: This was instituted due to clear bad players (people taking the test 8+ times and never submitting scores to schools). In all the years of data analyzed, there are clearly people trying to circumvent controls by taking the test repeatedly. To answer the above points: Canceled scores do count, canceled dates do not, effectivity date is communicated and the limit is retroactive on prior tests. There is an exception process to this. If you take the tests 8 times and want to take it a 9th, you can visit the "contact us" page and submit your request to be able to take it again. People who don't appear to be trying to circumvent security measures should not have any issue getting an exception to a 9th test sitting. That being said, the data shows there aren't really any people who get to 8 sittings and are willing to go for a 9th.

Q: When will question pack 2 (QP2) be released?
A: The GMAC is working on revamping how it brands and releases its prep material (there is some confusion about what products are available, what purpose they serve, etc). There is also a movement to centralized online access to content (question banks, practice tests, prep material, etc), as opposed to this fragmented format (some print, some online, some download, etc.). There will be another question pack release, but it probably won't be called QP2 and will probably follow with some of these infrastructural changes on how the GMAC release and promotes its developed material and content.

Q: "Mini GMAT", what is it? Data on it, etc?
A: This is not a mini GMAT. It's an executive assessment ("EA") (link: https://www.gmac.com/executive-assessment). This is not supposed to be the GMAT. Its goal is to assess the readiness for EMBA to get back into a classroom setting (assess a baseline for key items needed for EMBA education). As for data on the EA, it will be published by the GMAC once they have collected, analyzed and validated it.

If anyone else has specific questions, I am happy to answer them. Again: I will post the slides and share some observations and relevant insight once I have them.

Thanks,

mohater
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Super helpful information, mohater! Thank you for sharing!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Hello,

I have tried to request an exception to sit for a 9th test via the inquiry box under "Contact Us," but received the following response:

"Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding the GMAT lifetime retake policy. We do understand that some candidates will need to take the GMAT more than 8 times. Therefore, we are allowing you to request an exception to this policy. A request for an exception can be raised with the supporting documents if a requirement has been made by the school you intend to join."

I am not clear on what kinds of supporting documents are required to request an exception. I called their customer service but she was not familiar with the matter. Has anyone already requested the exception successfully? If so, please share your experience, such as what document is required and where to send a request email.

Thanks in advance.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
todd2381 wrote:
Hello,

I have tried to request an exception to sit for a 9th test via the inquiry box under "Contact Us," but received the following response:

"Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding the GMAT lifetime retake policy. We do understand that some candidates will need to take the GMAT more than 8 times. Therefore, we are allowing you to request an exception to this policy. A request for an exception can be raised with the supporting documents if a requirement has been made by the school you intend to join."

I am not clear on what kinds of supporting documents are required to request an exception. I called their customer service but she was not familiar with the matter. Has anyone already requested the exception successfully? If so, please share your experience, such as what document is required and where to send a request email.

Thanks in advance.

I'll reach out to the GMAC and find out. If the email did not provide you an outlet to submit your response, try submitting a contact us again and indicating you need to know how/where to submit your documents.

Documents could include: practice tests (show higher potential), submissions to schools (showing the programs you're applying to and the avg scores of that school, etc) among other things.

Thanks,

mohater
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Hi,

I think if someone crosses the 8 test limit, they won't be able to register for the test. The website mba.com may prevent them from registration. In my case, I still could register for the test but I stopped at the payment step. I'm not sure if I could register for the test successfully, would they let me sit for the exam?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
windofchange wrote:
Hi,

I think if someone crosses the 8 test limit, they won't be able to register for the test. The website mba.com may prevent them from registration. In my case, I still could register for the test but I stopped at the payment step. I'm not sure if I could register for the test successfully, would they let me sit for the exam?

You'd be doing so at your own risk. I wouldn't do that without reaching out to the GMAC.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mohater wrote:
windofchange wrote:
Hi,

You'd be doing so at your own risk. I wouldn't do that without reaching out to the GMAC.

Thanks.

I intuitively feel it's not good to go register for the exam... that's why I stopped at the payment step. I also submitted a request for exception and I'm waiting for their response.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi - this is the response I got from Pearson VUE:

"We would like to inform you that you need to follow a appeal process. However, you need to submit the letter of appeal and should also attach any documentation you have from your school as well. For example, if you are able to obtain a letter from your school indicating that you need to test should submit that as well."

They want some kind of proof from schools indicating that I need to retake the test. In my case, however, I haven't applied to any schools yet. Actually I got admitted to a school last year but I want to retake is to improve the score for higher chance of admission and scholarship.

I am thinking to email them an official request for exception together with the letter of admission that I got from last year application.

After all, what they want is to verify whether I'm a genuine test taker or not.

Could you please share your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
windofchange wrote:
Hi - this is the response I got from Pearson VUE:

"We would like to inform you that you need to follow a appeal process. However, you need to submit the letter of appeal and should also attach any documentation you have from your school as well. For example, if you are able to obtain a letter from your school indicating that you need to test should submit that as well."

They want some kind of proof from schools indicating that I need to retake the test. In my case, however, I haven't applied to any schools yet. Actually I got admitted to a school last year but I want to retake is to improve the score for higher chance of admission and scholarship.

I am thinking to email them an official request for exception together with the letter of admission that I got from last year application.

After all, what they want is to verify whether I'm a genuine test taker or not.

Could you please share your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Submit a form on the contact us section of GMAC.com to field a response from the GMAC. I *think* wanting to get more money would be significant as cost of the program was a top concern among all test takers in the applicant survey that was reported at the TPO.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Original post has been updated with attachments.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Interesting table/chart - I have seen a version of it a few times but never this pronounced
Attachments

scores and hours.png
scores and hours.png [ 77.01 KiB | Viewed 4654 times ]

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
so basically...it says that the more you put in your preparations, the better you are going to score...though it's not going to happen all the times...I clearly put way more than 75 hours in my preparations, and got 650 :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2