Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile review request Age 33 GMAT 740 EMBA, Part-time, Online? [#permalink]
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hi there,

Congrats on a solid GMAT score! Based on the information you shared, I think Booth and Kellogg are your best bet. Depending on your goals, PT might be a better option than an EMBA. Perhaps it makes sense to discuss in detail - we'd be happy to share our thoughts during a free consultation. Feel free to sign up below! In the meantime, have a look at our stance on the different program options that are out there on our free resources page.

Thanks for the information, although I did not see anything about online MBAs like Kelley and MBA@UNC. The cost difference can be a factor since I see people with high GMATs getting scholarships vs PT not giving any help. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile review request Age 33 GMAT 740 EMBA, Part-time, Online? [#permalink]
Aringo wrote:
calacro wrote:
Hello everyone,

Long time message board lurker, first time topic poster. This website has been great for my GMAT studying and I figured I should use this to ask for people's opinions on what I should do next.

I took the GMAT again yesterday and to my surprise, I got a 740. I was getting easy questions in the Math and Verbal, so I was worried that my score was a lot worse, so as you can expect, the score was a nice surprise.

Originally, I was planning to only apply to part-time and online programs, but this score made me wonder if I should apply for a top 5 school full time. I do wonder how my GPA, which is low, and age, which is 33, factor in and if it is even worth it since my pay is above 6 figures, which is what it seems many MBA graduates make, and I have a wife and 6 month.

I do enjoy what I do, but I always interested in Marketing or Strategy. Should I look at EMBA and does my resume work well for Kellogg or Booth? We currently live in the Dallas area, but planning to relocated back to Chicago to get closer to family. Are there any other schools you guys would recommend?

Here are my details:

Schools I am looking at:
-Kelley Online
-MBA@UNC (Kenan Flagler online MBA)
-Booth PT
-Kellogg PT
-Booth EMBA
-Kellogg EMBA
-Top 10ish schools full time if it makes sense

Background and education:
33 year old East Asian-American (Born in US)
Big Ten school undergrad with technical degree similar to Engineering. GPA 3.0. Did bad the first semester with a 1.7 (this is what happens when you go to a party school) but made it back to a 3.0 when I graduated.
GMAT: 740 Q50 V40 IR5 waiting for AWA
Six Sigma Green Belt certified

Work experience
-10.5 years work experience: 7 years as an Engineer and 3.5 years as a Procurement Manager
-Worked at 2 Fortune 500 companies in CPG. The current job is with a fortune 50 CPG company managing ~$100MM in spend. I have been in the current company for 3.5 years and was promoted once.
-Manage 4 rental units that my wife and I own.

Extracurricular:
- Involved in leadership roles at work such as America Heart Association, intern mentorship, and Dodgeball and Kickball teams for procurement.
- Head coach for multiple High School and Middle School lacrosse teams. Coaching for the last 16 years.
- Play soccer, hockey, and competitive lacrosse
- Part of the Crossfit cult

This all looks good and I do believe you have a chance of being admitted to all the schools you mentioned. But what school would fit you best depends largely on your post-MBA goal and where you see yourself in the future. Care to elaborate a bit on that in order for me to give you some recommendations? (People your age and with families do go for the full time programs but only you can decide if that works for you or not. Just saying it can be done)

Oh and congrats on that score! We read so many stories where it goes the other way so it’s nice to hear from someone who did better than they thought they would! :-D

My post grad plans are sticking with Procurement or Supply Chain. It seems like to get to the director level and above, you need to have an MBA for our generation. I do have interest in Finance and Strategy, but I think, especially with Strategy, I would need to start all over and stay at the level of Manager before a promotion.

And thank you about the GMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I don't think an online MBA is the answer for you. It isn't the vehicle that is going to get you promoted nor will it stand out on your resume if you decide to make the shift. We always recommend candidates to go after the best program they can get into, and an online program for you would be, in our opinion, selling yourself short. This is an investment with overwhelming evidence that the return is worthwhile as long as you have the right career plan. I wouldn't be too concerned about job titles or levels either. Depending on the firm and circumstance, being a manager in a strategy role could earn you more money and give you more fulfillment than being a director in supply chain...just food for thought. It all depends on what you truly want to do! Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CriticalSquare wrote:
I don't think an online MBA is the answer for you. It isn't the vehicle that is going to get you promoted nor will it stand out on your resume if you decide to make the shift. We always recommend candidates to go after the best program they can get into, and an online program for you would be, in our opinion, selling yourself short. This is an investment with overwhelming evidence that the return is worthwhile as long as you have the right career plan. I wouldn't be too concerned about job titles or levels either. Depending on the firm and circumstance, being a manager in a strategy role could earn you more money and give you more fulfillment than being a director in supply chain...just food for thought. It all depends on what you truly want to do! Best of luck!

Thank you for the information. This helps.
GMAT Club Bot