Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: I scored 100 points less in the actual GMAT than the mocks ! [#permalink]
NehaJoshi wrote:
Thanks for the reply and encouragement !
I already have the OG, Kaplan Prepmier and Kaplan 800.
Wondering how much of the entire MGMAT material will I be able to use in roughly 30 days ?
Do you think I should rather focus on the only the MGMAT CATs ??

No... MGMAT are tough.. you should read their books before their cats... I would stick with kaplan premier and 800... Kaplan is great to start with... ( at least it was for me) finish the kaplan premier..all of it... im sure you have the cd that came along with it.. do the cats there and then do the gmatprep which you can download from mba.com. The gmatprep are the most accurate cats out there...but be sure to only do them once you have studied a lot ... you dont want to waste them... there are only two gmat prep cats... but you can do a lot more ( the bad part is that you will get repeated questions)

stick to kaplan then gmat prep that will get you to the score you want... but if you are interested in 600+ you will have to do more.. let me know.

regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I have yet to explore the other CATs, but have been very pleased with MGMAT CATs, as well as their analytic offerings (breaks down errors into question types and generates statistics, has full explanations of both quant and verbal). You can get access to 6 with the purchase of one book. When you are done with the 6, you can refresh and redo them, although they draw from the same question pool and are likely to have duplicates, but hey, it is what it is.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So MGMAT CATs over GMAT Club CATs it is ??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
well from what I have seen, MGMAT CATs mimic the whole gmat experience closer because it is truly adaptive. GMAT Club tests are not, meaning their problem sets are the same (fixed) and do not vary based on previous answers (correct or not). I have also heard that GC tests are geared towards 650-700+ set, so the problems are quite difficult. This is not to say that they are not a great resource, but they may not be an accurate of a "dry run CAT" as you would have hoped for. I plan to use GMAT club for myself, but a bit down the line when I have practiced more OG and lower level problems.

As I have not physically gone through all the GC tests, I can't say if this is true across the board. It is what I found from reading posts on the forum and the free one they had given out.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64931 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NehaJoshi wrote:
I had practiced GMATPrep, Kaplan, Veritas, MGMAT diagnostic tests and was in the range of 550-590.
I was expecting the same or as they say 30-40 points higher in the actual test.. but to my disbelief and extreme shockk I ended up 100 points less than my practice test score !! :evil:

Needless to mention, I have to take the test again but have hardy a month and half in hand (in mid May '2011).
So I am thinking of buying either the 800score package of video lectures ans 5 CATs or the GMAT Club tests package.

Any suggestions ?
Pleeease help me !!! :oops:

A score of 450-500 in GMAT means there are gaps in conceptual understanding. My suggestion would be to focus on the theory and get your concepts right in whatever time you have. Needless to say, practice as much as you can but just doing questions will not help much. Just reading 'how' a question is solved will be of minimum help since GMAT tests you with new questions every time.. GMAT is a test of 'how you think', not 'what you know'. Also figure out your weak areas (say, algebra or critical reasoning or whatever else) and put extra effort in them to get a reasonable hold. That will help you improve a lot in minimum time and will improve your overall efficiency.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@humphy, Thanks a lot for pointing out the important difference in the the GC and and MGMAT regarding the adaptability ! I din't know that earlier..
@Karishma, Thanks for your insight !
@marijose, After Kaplan (most of which I had already practiced earlier) my rough plan goes as under considering the limited time I have:

I've decided to pick MGMAT Word Translations, 4th Edition (GMAT Strategy Guide, No. 4) so that I can get help with the most difficult area of Probability and Combination and Overlapping sets; and also the 6 CATs.

For Verbal, I realised I needed very badly to increase my Reading speed.. so I'm reading 'Rapid Reading' by Paul R. Scheele (just found in a public library) along with few other non fiction books like Rich dad poor dad and Akio Morita's 'Made in japan'.
Besides, I plan to practice CR from OG and SC from the MGMAT SC pdf I found in one of the posts here.

What's your opinion guys ?? Is this plan good enough to improve by at least 100 points..?
I have to take it in mid May.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Well you picked the right MGMAT book to get, Word Translations was the most helpful one for me.

Also, keep in mind that even if you read slow, you may not want to focus on improving your reading speed. You want to focus on increasing your RC score. RC is not really dependent on reading speed. In fact, some people don't even read the passage in it's entirety before answering the question (so called hunters). Others read the whole thing before looking at the first question (so called combers). Explore what works for you, but keep in mind this is the GMAT, not literature 101 or speech and debate. :)

I am sure you can get another 100 just from mastering that MGMAT book alone.

NehaJoshi wrote:
@humphy, Thanks a lot for pointing out the important difference in the the GC and and MGMAT regarding the adaptability ! I din't know that earlier..
@Karishma, Thanks for your insight !
@marijose, After Kaplan (most of which I had already practiced earlier) my rough plan goes as under considering the limited time I have:

I've decided to pick MGMAT Word Translations, 4th Edition (GMAT Strategy Guide, No. 4) so that I can get help with the most difficult area of Probability and Combination and Overlapping sets; and also the 6 CATs.

For Verbal, I realised I needed very badly to increase my Reading speed.. so I'm reading 'Rapid Reading' by Paul R. Scheele (just found in a public library) along with few other non fiction books like Rich dad poor dad and Akio Morita's 'Made in japan'.
Besides, I plan to practice CR from OG and SC from the MGMAT SC pdf I found in one of the posts here.

What's your opinion guys ?? Is this plan good enough to improve by at least 100 points..?
I have to take it in mid May.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hmm.. Single book can lead to that much increase in score huh.. nice !
Also I see u suggest some RC practice rather than just random reading.. will keep in mind.
Thanks again for your suggestions !

And of course the post is open for more comments on the above plan.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM