Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.84
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.84
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA, high GMAT [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there,
Great to hear from you!
So the short of it is that you have a great profile, with one major weakness - your GPA.

And you have already done the best you can to deal with that - by getting that GMAT. So go you.

I think the major thing to work on is on getting out the story of your work experience. It seems good, but it's neither a privileged industry nor a privileged firm. So you will need to do anything you to show how exceptional you are, and how you have done these amazing things, and been a strong leader... etc...

Otherwise, competing on a national level and the hospital fundraising is fantastic. Both of them are real strong heavy weight activities, and this WILL help you a whole bunch.

Finally, the main thing to take great care with is your story - i.e. your goals. An industry change is for sure possible - but which one? To where? and how to justify it?

Entrepreneurship is not an "industry" it's just an approach to an industry. And banking as far as I can see makes little sense.

From the little you have written here though consulting could work (either specialized in construction, or just regular), or also healthcare, given your hospital experience. There may be other things as well, of course!

I hope these notes get you off to a good start,
Best,
Jon

Jon,

Thanks for your response. I guess I need to really take a look at what I want to accomplish with business school, as I still don't know what I want to do after I finish (this has got to be seen as a negative by Adcoms).

If my startup does well, I would want to continue developing it after getting an MBA, but if not, consulting is probably the field that makes the most sense. I said banking because I've traveled for work before and it wasn't my favorite thing in the world (nor did my fiancée particularly enjoy me being out of town 75% of the time when we were dating).

VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Really nice profile here with a diverse set of strengths. I really like in particular your GMAT score and your ECs especially the athletics. Your GPA is the major negative in your profile but this should not keep you out of the top 20 if you are able to keep your story and personalize it to the strengths of your target programs. If you plan to go down the entrepreneur path really make sure you iron out the details and a back up plan. Need to convince the school of the viability of your concept

Thanks. Both of these responses have given me a much better idea of how I need to present my post-MBA path when writing essays and in interviews with Adcoms.

As a separate question, I took the GMAT without studying. I did the 2 practice tests included with the GMAT 2 weeks before the actual exam, but did no studying apart from that.

I feel that with a bit of studying, I could easily score 770 or higher. I got a 49 Quant score, but missed some easy questions because I had forgotten some high school math concepts. I also scored higher on Verbal on both practice tests than I did on the actual test (44 and 43 vs. 41 on the actual test).

In light of my poor GPA, is it worth it to retake the GMAT? If I somehow did worse the second time around, I would just cancel the score and not report it.

Thanks again!
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
wthi90,
Your profile overall is strong with the exception of your GPA (which you have partially redeeemed/offset with your GMAT and upward trend; if you also worked during undergrad that fact could help even more; I would want to see your transcript to determine whether there is more you can/should do to eliminate the GPA concern). Your career pace is fast track and focused, you will have a successful (hopefully) entrepreneurship story, interesting extracurriculars (swimming champ) and good community involvement. Top 20 schools will be no problem; the question how far up the top 10 you can go. Depending how what you achieve in the next year, you could probably target Top 10 schools such as Duke and Tuck. As for goals, I would not mention banking, but consulting or entrepreneurship could be positioned as building on your career thus far (fine to pursue banking once admitted, of course). I'd be glad to give you further feedback if you send me your resume: paul@admitify.com.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.admitify.com/outcomes

wthi90 wrote:
I would really appreciate an evaluation of my profile - I'm considering Top 20 schools, including international programs (Oxford, LBS, INSEAD). I'd be applying in R1 of fall 2017.

I'm 26, white male, US citizen.

Test Scores/Academics:
-GMAT - 730/96% - (V: 41/94% | Q: 49/78% | AWA: 5/59% | IR: 8/92%)

-Civil Engineering degree from top 3 engineering school, minor in pre-law. GPA 2.86/4, made Dean's List 3 of last 5 and 2 of last 3 semesters, so I had a definite upward trend. Major GPA 3.05/4, minor GPA 3.2/4.

Work Experience:
-4 years total, 3 years in current industry (large scale roadway projects)

-2 years as an analyst/team lead with a Global Top 3 engineering firm. Worked on a wide variety of projects, ranging from $180 million design-build toll road projects to professional sports stadium studies to concept/costing plans for a $1.2 billion interchange redesign.

-1 year as a project engineer/manager for the US leader in my industry. Worked on over $1 billion in projects as a project engineer and managed a $130 million project. Also oversaw a major state agency merger and worked with MBB firm on long term budgeting of over $2.5 billion in state funds

-Professional Engineer, licensed in 2 states

-Founder/CEO of startup with relevance to current job industry - currently in software design stage, hope to have working beta by end of summer 2016

Personal/ECs:
-Member of spinal/traumatic brain injury hospital executive junior board

-Responsible for organizing and planning annual fundraiser for the above hospital - 2015 event raised over $250k

-National champion swimmer

Post-MBA Goal:
-Change job industries (field depends somewhat on the outcome of my startup; if not entrepreneurship, then banking or consulting)

Thanks!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there,
Well, to answer your new questions: If your startup goes well, then that would be a fantastic goal. If not, then you can see later. But just keep it in mind that your goals have to be good, solid, logical and plausible, as well as ambitious.

As for your question r.e. the GMAT - if you are pretty sure you can get higher (like a 770) without that much effort, and you have the time to do so without sacrificing too many other things, then sure go for it! I mean a 770 can't hurt, right? :)

You just don't NEED to.
:)

Best,
Jon
GMAT Club Bot