Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.64
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink]
Expert Reply
No problem, a few thoughts on your additional questions...

1) I think there is tremendous value in having an experienced admissions consultant especially given the amount of schools you are considering. I would probably recommend a more complete service so that you have professionals working with you right from the beginning to help you set school specific strategy and share advice from years of experience of working with clients. Top admission consulting shops like Veritas Prep have the best resource to add value for clients like you. If you want to learn more about what makes the most sense for you reach out to us at Veritas Prep and we can help you determine if an admissions consultant makes sense for you and in what capacity

2)General rule of thumb is if you have the opportunity to attend b-school where you eventually want to work post-MBA, DO IT! I would probably say in this instance especially given that you have prior experience in the space so you can make up for the less finance focused MBA. Remember, most top MBAs are great really good in most areas even without the so-called reputation. For example Booth has a great rep in Finance but also is very strong in marketing.

3) If you're asking for the upcoming round, I would say anything over 4 can be a lot of apps to apply for in one round. This will depend on the amount of time you have to focus on these but this is where an admissions consultant come in and get you organized and have you on the right schedule to submit breakthrough apps in the limited timeframe you have. Now with Stanford you know the selectivity numbers just as well as I do, it fits your west coast narrative but Stanford is always a tough sell even with great numbers such as your own.
4)Not sure why it would be detrimental, I feel like most schools ask you directly if you have any connection with school with family that have attended so answer honestly if that is posed. Now if you are considering sharing that information elsewhere in the application make sure it is relevant, I don't think if it comes out of nowhere with no context it will add tremendous value. Did you apply to Harvard as an undergrad? I feel like this would have been a better area to use this. If he was a Harvard MBA alum this may have been more helpful. But if they ask in the application they care and want to know.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
No problem, a few thoughts on your additional questions...

1) I think there is tremendous value in having an experienced admissions consultant especially given the amount of schools you are considering. I would probably recommend a more complete service so that you have professionals working with you right from the beginning to help you set school specific strategy and share advice from years of experience of working with clients. Top admission consulting shops like Veritas Prep have the best resource to add value for clients like you. If you want to learn more about what makes the most sense for you reach out to us at Veritas Prep and we can help you determine if an admissions consultant makes sense for you and in what capacity

2)General rule of thumb is if you have the opportunity to attend b-school where you eventually want to work post-MBA, DO IT! I would probably say in this instance especially given that you have prior experience in the space so you can make up for the less finance focused MBA. Remember, most top MBAs are great really good in most areas even without the so-called reputation. For example Booth has a great rep in Finance but also is very strong in marketing.

3) If you're asking for the upcoming round, I would say anything over 4 can be a lot of apps to apply for in one round. This will depend on the amount of time you have to focus on these but this is where an admissions consultant come in and get you organized and have you on the right schedule to submit breakthrough apps in the limited timeframe you have. Now with Stanford you know the selectivity numbers just as well as I do, it fits your west coast narrative but Stanford is always a tough sell even with great numbers such as your own.
4)Not sure why it would be detrimental, I feel like most schools ask you directly if you have any connection with school with family that have attended so answer honestly if that is posed. Now if you are considering sharing that information elsewhere in the application make sure it is relevant, I don't think if it comes out of nowhere with no context it will add tremendous value. Did you apply to Harvard as an undergrad? I feel like this would have been a better area to use this. If he was a Harvard MBA alum this may have been more helpful. But if they ask in the application they care and want to know.

Hope this helps!

Thanks that helps a lot! And I will be apply next year, not this Fall so plenty of time to prepare. Given that I have such a large lead time and have the GMAT out of the way, do you think 6 applications would be unreasonable?
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes--that should be doable as long as you don't over-tax your recommenders. It would be advisable to keep recommendation requests limited to no more than three schools for each recommender. The lead time will also help with knocking out school visits this year vs. doing them all next year.
GMAT Club Bot