Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Re-applicant strategy [#permalink]
mgh234 wrote:
MBAjunkie16 wrote:
After 3 dings, I am one week away from my last expected result and its difficult to not be on the less-hopeful side rather than the hopeful one. However, in thinking about my re-application strategy, I was wondering what changes to my profile I can make. As background, I have taken the GMAT thrice, twice with disastrous results before I finally managed a 680 (Q44 V40), which I believe does reflect my abilities accurately. And to spell my abilities out - I have never been great with Math but always done well in English, right through school and then all the way out of engineering college. That said, I don't believe I have no quant abilities because my job is quantitative in nature (think - number crunching and data analysis for survey data for a consulting company).

GMAT was a tough process emotionally and my final score came pretty late ( in early February) by which time, I had submitted my application to all my target schools and I feel that despite my updated score, they had already made their decision based on the score I originally submitted with my apps . I don't really think giving GMAT again can help me improve my score. My nightmare will be the score going below 680! :shock:

Professionally - I was promoted last year and don't see a promotion again this year before the application cycle ends. I will however be a part of an integration process for a new company which was acquired by my employer in the last few weeks and taking on people management responsibilities. These are likely the only changes to my current profile. I will be trying to improve my leadership profile further by applying to lead a pro-bono consulting project for a prestigious local non-profit consulting organization(think Taproot). I have been working then with since 2011.

Now for my question - I feel my profile can be presented in a more competitive way by better essays. However, my low Quant score in GMAT and in my undergrad may still raise flags despite my quant work experience. Does anyone have any recommendation about what else I can do too make my profile more competitive? MATH X402 - 001 Math for Management by UC Berkeley Extension is something that came up in my research. But, any other suggestions, anything other people have done and feel that it has added to their application when they applied the second time around?

Look forward to hearing from you! :)

-------
Profile: Indian, non-IT female, will have 7 years of Product Mgmt/Consulting experience (in India and US) in Aug 2014. GPA (from Top 20 college in India - NIT) ~ 3.5+, Community Service: about 4 years of non profit consulting work experience in helping with global non-profits on strategic alignment, funding strategies, network expansion & mgmt strategies. Target schools - Ross, Kellogg, UNC, Duke, Kelley, McCombs. Target career - General Mgmt - RLDP programs leading to Corp Strategy or direct Corp Strategy jobs.

With a 680 GMAT, I think all but Kellogg are feasible. In general Indian applicants need a higher than average GMAT to get in (which I'm sure you're aware of). Being a female helps, but not enough to get you into Kellogg based on what I've seen. I'd apply to mostly new schools - I think you're probably correct decisions were made before the new scores came in, but if you re-apply you're expected to write a "What's changed in the last year" essay....which doesn't seem like you'll be able to build very well due to no new expected promotions.

Thanks Jon & MGH. I do plan to have my essays reviewed and do feel that I could have done a better job articulating my career goals and also the uniqueness of my profile and what I can add to the class.

Given how iffy my scores were during the time of application, I also applied only to schools where I felt I would be competitive and/or would have a chance to interview despite my scores to make my case in person in addition to fit. Actually, Kellogg (the only school I am waiting to hear back from) is probably the only school I may not apply to since they don't review your application until after you have interviewed and I had sent them my 680 score at the time of the interview. So, MGH, I think you are right - if I don't make it now, I don't think re-articulating my goals will help me the next time at Kellogg. As a side note - I was really lucky in getting a great interviewer who really got what I do and had experience in my field, which is a big part of my challenge.

I am adding Duke and Texas McCombs to my old list and also looking at Tepper. Any thoughts on taking additional credits for Quant courses?
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAjunkie16 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:
MBAjunkie16 wrote:
After 3 dings, I am one week away from my last expected result and its difficult to not be on the less-hopeful side rather than the hopeful one. However, in thinking about my re-application strategy, I was wondering what changes to my profile I can make. As background, I have taken the GMAT thrice, twice with disastrous results before I finally managed a 680 (Q44 V40), which I believe does reflect my abilities accurately. And to spell my abilities out - I have never been great with Math but always done well in English, right through school and then all the way out of engineering college. That said, I don't believe I have no quant abilities because my job is quantitative in nature (think - number crunching and data analysis for survey data for a consulting company).

GMAT was a tough process emotionally and my final score came pretty late ( in early February) by which time, I had submitted my application to all my target schools and I feel that despite my updated score, they had already made their decision based on the score I originally submitted with my apps . I don't really think giving GMAT again can help me improve my score. My nightmare will be the score going below 680! :shock:

Professionally - I was promoted last year and don't see a promotion again this year before the application cycle ends. I will however be a part of an integration process for a new company which was acquired by my employer in the last few weeks and taking on people management responsibilities. These are likely the only changes to my current profile. I will be trying to improve my leadership profile further by applying to lead a pro-bono consulting project for a prestigious local non-profit consulting organization(think Taproot). I have been working then with since 2011.

Now for my question - I feel my profile can be presented in a more competitive way by better essays. However, my low Quant score in GMAT and in my undergrad may still raise flags despite my quant work experience. Does anyone have any recommendation about what else I can do too make my profile more competitive? MATH X402 - 001 Math for Management by UC Berkeley Extension is something that came up in my research. But, any other suggestions, anything other people have done and feel that it has added to their application when they applied the second time around?

Look forward to hearing from you! :)

-------
Profile: Indian, non-IT female, will have 7 years of Product Mgmt/Consulting experience (in India and US) in Aug 2014. GPA (from Top 20 college in India - NIT) ~ 3.5+, Community Service: about 4 years of non profit consulting work experience in helping with global non-profits on strategic alignment, funding strategies, network expansion & mgmt strategies. Target schools - Ross, Kellogg, UNC, Duke, Kelley, McCombs. Target career - General Mgmt - RLDP programs leading to Corp Strategy or direct Corp Strategy jobs.

With a 680 GMAT, I think all but Kellogg are feasible. In general Indian applicants need a higher than average GMAT to get in (which I'm sure you're aware of). Being a female helps, but not enough to get you into Kellogg based on what I've seen. I'd apply to mostly new schools - I think you're probably correct decisions were made before the new scores came in, but if you re-apply you're expected to write a "What's changed in the last year" essay....which doesn't seem like you'll be able to build very well due to no new expected promotions.

Thanks Jon & MGH. I do plan to have my essays reviewed and do feel that I could have done a better job articulating my career goals and also the uniqueness of my profile and what I can add to the class.

Given how iffy my scores were during the time of application, I also applied only to schools where I felt I would be competitive and/or would have a chance to interview despite my scores to make my case in person in addition to fit. Actually, Kellogg (the only school I am waiting to hear back from) is probably the only school I may not apply to since they don't review your application until after you have interviewed and I had sent them my 680 score at the time of the interview. So, MGH, I think you are right - if I don't make it now, I don't think re-articulating my goals will help me the next time at Kellogg. As a side note - I was really lucky in getting a great interviewer who really got what I do and had experience in my field, which is a big part of my challenge.

I am adding Duke and Texas McCombs to my old list and also looking at Tepper. Any thoughts on taking additional credits for Quant courses?

I don't think you need to take quant courses. It's not likely to be one of the "major" weaknesses. Instead, concentrate on those essays, and make sure your school list makes sense (that this time around you have one or two safe schools in your profile, in addition to your list).

Best,
JF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Hey there,
I think you are on the right track. Given that the avg GMAT among Indians is on the higher side, esp in Quant, demonstrating strength in this through an additional course would help.

But as Jon pointed out, the major gaps could be in your essay pitch. Even if there is nothing majorly wrong, if the stories aren't compelling, or you haven't been specific enough, they could still have cost you the admit.

Here are some things you can look for while reviewing your essays -

Are your stories really interesting - more importantly, are they unique/memorable?
    Have you been able to show the application reader a bit of your personality - let them know who you are as a person?
    Are your career goals articulated well - specific and realistic?
    Have you been very generic in your response to the "Why B-school X?" question? (you shouldn't be!)

These are some initial thoughts.
Let me know in case you need help with your essay review. :)

Cheers.
Gowri.

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Coach
CrackVerbal
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
i don't really have much to add to the advice above. The unfortunate overall problem at first blush is that you are probably getting lost in the noise with what appears to be fairly "average" profile characteristics for your applicant pool. You have better than average work experience, so have you considered Kellogg's part time program? PT programs are more forgiving of GMAT scores and will be even more interested in your work experience than the FT programs are. As for making your profile jump out of the average pool, it's really all about telling stories and digging into the why part of what you have done and what you want to do. I am not sure if you cast a compelling vision for your future or not with the adcoms, but this would be necessary for sure to get attention. Let us know if we can help.
GMAT Club Bot