Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Recommendation Letters-Senior mngmnt??Addl' Recommendation? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kommitted wrote:
aerian - thanks for the response, +1!

The reason I was hesitant about getting a recommendation from the senior guys was cuz they're not always "on the ground" with me, but since they sure know my body of work, I will feel free to ask

Now, to the addl' recommendation, If I need 3 recommendations, and I get all 3 from my work, I'd not be projecting my complete self and could even get monotonic. So the trade off here is between 'someone who sees me every day' vs 'someone who brings a new perspective and completes my profile'.

If I may ask how should I go forward here, is it better to

1)Go with the 3 from work and send non-work recommendation as an additional recommendation? Or
2) send the non-work as part of the first 3 and one work as an additional recommendation?

Why are you so set on sending in additional letters of recommendation? If a school asks for 3 letters, you can send in 2 from your workplace and 1 from outside of work -- that way, the adcom still sees a more overall picture of who you are.

If it were me, I would not send all 3 from work or all 3 from non-work. I agree with you that that can get very monotonous. Keep in mind especially that your recommenders should add something to your profile -- if you get 3 people all at the same title/level at your job, all 3 might say the same thing about you. Does repeating that information help you at all?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
kommitted wrote:
aerian - thanks for the response, +1!

The reason I was hesitant about getting a recommendation from the senior guys was cuz they're not always "on the ground" with me, but since they sure know my body of work, I will feel free to ask

Now, to the addl' recommendation, If I need 3 recommendations, and I get all 3 from my work, I'd not be projecting my complete self and could even get monotonic. So the trade off here is between 'someone who sees me every day' vs 'someone who brings a new perspective and completes my profile'.

If I may ask how should I go forward here, is it better to

1)Go with the 3 from work and send non-work recommendation as an additional recommendation? Or
2) send the non-work as part of the first 3 and one work as an additional recommendation?

Don't send extra letters of recommendation unless you seriously have four separate stories to tell. Chances are, you don't. If you send a crap ton of recommendations initially, the adcom will probably go *sigh*... someone can't follow instructions. Worse even, is if 2 of the LORs are similar. Just remember these are people who want to get through thousands of applications.

Here's another reason for not sending extra letters of recommendation - the waitlist. If you're someone who is lucky enough to have an abundance of options, keep one in the back pocket. It could make the difference between a waitlist -> ding and a waitlist -> admit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
QiuYidio wrote:
Here's another reason for not sending extra letters of recommendation - the waitlist. If you're someone who is lucky enough to have an abundance of options, keep one in the back pocket. It could make the difference between a waitlist -> ding and a waitlist -> admit.

I'll remember that, thanks QiuYidio!
GMAT Club Bot