Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 00:55
I have another question on D...
The explainations in OG12 indicates D "Although this option is not technically wrong...."
But we use "expectations that" or "more than doubling" or "that of" to eliminate it.
So, I mean if there is no B choice, is option D itself right or wrong?

Thanks...Jacqueline
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 10:33
Here only Option B seems to be correct. Presence of would also shows uncertainty and correct in this context. In other options 'expectations of' seems awkward.

Anybody having OA!!

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 13

Re: Retail sales rose 8 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 00:55
angel2009 wrote:
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal
spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of
the 1.4 percent growth
rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.
A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of
B. that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double
C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than
double that of

B wins

I agree on most points but "expectations of" is right but not preferred since, expectations of personal spending doesn't makes much sense ,if it would be expectations of some "concrete Noun" it would have been alright. . Also since the author intended to relate the thought in future tone, the use of "doubled" is incorrect and regarding "IT" is not clearly referring antecedent in (E).

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper '15 (WL)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 17:03
Not sure why you would use "that of". The 1.4% is the growth rate in personal spending, and you can double 1.4% since it's a number.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 23

SC [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 05:13
Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August,intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July - September quarter more than double that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.
(A)that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than double that of

(B)that personal spending in the July -September quarter would more than double

(C)of personal spending in the July-September quarter,that it more than doubled

(D)of personal spending in the July- September quarter more than doubling that of

(E)of personal spending in the July-September quarter.that would more than double that of
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 23

SC [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 05:14
Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August,intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July - September quarter more than double that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.
(A)that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than double that of

(D)of personal spending in the July- September quarter more than doubling that of

(E)of personal spending in the July-September quarter.that would more than double that of
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 06:07
supri1234 wrote:

My answer is B.

Tell me the OA then I'll try to explain if I got it correct. :)

Kudos? :)

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 614 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 01:36
Expert's post
supri1234 wrote:

Though I am not an expert, but still I will try.
Actually the logic of the sentence is " Retail sales rose some% and therefore this rise intensified the expectations that personal spending has been more in July September quarter than in the previous quarter.
Immediately eliminate CDE. In these three options, "expectations of personal spending" implies a different meaning.
A lacks the main verb.
B is correct IMO.
Btw whats the source.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 22:25
Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

(A) that personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubled that of
(B) that personal spending in the July–September quarter would more than double
(C) of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it more than doubled
(D) of personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubling that of
(E) of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it would more than double that of

IMO

E) and C) can be ruled out based on "that" preceded by a comma
A) and D) use demonstrative pronoun "that" which refers to expectations so should ideally be "those"

but OG answer guide does not say anything about these two points.. So was wondering if I have misread something and luckily got the answer correct or
my argument actually making sense.

Any pointers ?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 46

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 01:57
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal
the 1.4 percent growth
A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of
C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of
double that of

Why A is wrong?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 02:04
here u want to state something that is likely to happen and not something that has already happened .
A is appearing to be a fact that has already happened .hence its wrong
B is stating that likelihood with the usage of "would"
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1262 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 23:14
"that of" is used wrong. Because it refers to nothing. Personal spending would be double the 1.4% growth rate. If you add "that of" and re-read the sentence, it makes no sense. So we eliminate A, D, E. Between B and C, B is much better because "expectations" should be go with "would". In addition, right idiom is "expectation that", not "expectation of". C also uses wrong modifier that, because we never use a comma before that in Gmat.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 06:54
mun23 wrote:
the 1.4 percent growth
double that of

Why A is wrong?

Hi, A is wrong because the meaning is distorted.
Carefully notice, "the retail sales rose in August" - "intensifying expectations" - "personal spending in July-Sept"
These clearly hints that August sales is expected to reflect growth in sales of quarter ending in July-Sept which has not ended yet. Thus, use of "use" to complement "expectations" is better than "doubled"

Hope this helps

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Retail sales rose 8 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 03:29
sudeep wrote:
For option D, OG explanation says: "Although this option is not technically wrong; it is less clear and graceful than B".

Even i have the same doubt, i had clearly decided that 'of spending' does not go well in the sentence when compared to 'that', but OG says it is technically correct, please someone explain?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 70

Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 21:26
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 12

Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 23:31
td wrote:
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, more than doubling that of
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The OA is B, while I chose D and B as the second best answer. Isn't it more idiomatic to say "expectations of"?

Hmm...i am not big on idioms but in general english i believe that i have seen exceptions that is much more clearer way of putting your thoughts. Ex:
1) I expect that the Lakers will win the tournament.
2) It is expected that weather next week will be a lot humid than last week.

expectations of personal spending -> this bumps me off. Also , since we are hypothesizing 'would' is the proper verb form to be used. Since B has all that i like it wins over A.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 654 [0], given: 6

Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 16:10
Expert's post
This is apples vs oranges. "More than doubled that of the 1.4%" is not appropriate here. It doesn't make sense since "that of" already refers to the specific number - you can't follow it up with another number. That would be repetitive.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 09:03
hardworker_indian wrote:
Please do not reveal the OA rightaway. Post the question and give it a day or two. When you come back you would see more hot discussions than you expected.

As for the SC, "that of" and "rate" is redundant. You would want to "that of" when the question is
"...intensifying expectations that the rate of personal spending in X quarter more than doubled than that of the personal spending for the previous quarter..."
So, ADE goes off.

Nevertheless, 'expectations that' needs a "would". So, ACD out.
Only B remains.

could you please cite which part of grammar books show that "expectation" need "would/will". all gmat points on sc must be based on grammar rules.

it seems that you are correct.

the main problem with choice C is "that" is far from "expectation". though, modifier can be far the noun modified, it can not be too far as it is in this choice. C is wrong.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 21:09
mun23 wrote:
the 1.4 percent growth
double that of

Why A is wrong?

While the issue with that of has already been pointed out by others, think of A from a logic perspective. When is this statement being made about retail sales rising in August?

A) Either in September: If that’s the case, we can logically not say – personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled, because September is not yet over. For example, we are in August right now, so it is illogical to say: Global economy receded in the July-September quarter. However, we can say: Based on economic indications in August, it is likely that global economy would recede in the July-September quarter.

B) Or after September: Again, if that’s the case, we would know the personal spending in the July-September quarter. So, it is illogical to say: intensifying expectations. Think about it..if something is already known, then it is illogical to term it as expectation. For example, we are in August right now, so it is illogical to say: …intensifying expectations that Global economy receded in April-June quarter. We already know what happened in April-June quarter, so there is no expectation.

So, whichever the case, the simple past doubled, as used in A, is not correct.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 06:48
This is what the official guide answer to this question says:

"Although (D) is not technically wrong,it is less clear and graceful than (B)." How is it not technically wrong when it erroneously uses the word "of" instead of "that"? The other problem with D, for me, is that "more than doubling" improperly implies expectations more than double, and not personal spending.

Does anyone have any imput about this?
Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2014, 06:48