Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Retaking the GMAT in 5 weeks (need some prep advice). [#permalink]
You have two advantages here:
1, Your verbal score is already good and you need very less improvement here if you want 700. Getting 40 in verbal is sufficient.
2, You have ample amount of time with you. (5 weeks with no office / job).

For Quant , you have to figure out where you are lacking. I think your concepts/basics needs some brushing up.

My advice to improve quant is to go through kaplan math workbook as it has good questions and solid foundation. You can skip the foundation for those topics of which you are confident about.
After kaplan , give a GMATPrep. If you are able to score 45-46 (which you can) then I would suggest going towards the next step which is "GMATClub Tests". This will further improve your score by 3-4 points from there.

I know it is easier said than done but looking at the amount of time you can spend , I have told this and I sincerely think that this improvement can be made in quant in 5 weeks.

Having said this , don't neglect your verbal in this time frame..!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks guys for your replies.

@mohater: In Math, I would say I am weakest at Data Sufficiency problems (and sometimes problem solving) which specifically pertain to questions with variables in them. I don't have problems in other concepts. I have started with the MGMAT books and I guess it is to do with my basics. For example, the MGMAT book in chapter 1 talks about the 'Prime Box' and I do have a difficult time understanding the way they are using it to solve problems. An example problem which I would have difficult solving would be:

"Given that 8 is not a factor of g, is 8 a factor of 8g?"

In Verbal, strong at Critical Reasoning, weak at RC and SC. I am hoping the MGMAT SC Guide will correct my SC situation and RC would be what I have to focus on. In RC, I go wrong in RC Specific or RC General questions (like inference, theme of passage etc). If the RC questions are reasoning questions, I don't get those wrong (example, which statement would the author agree with most, what would strengthen, weaken author's viewpoint etc).

Looking at the above weaknesses, which books would you recommend I use for targeting each weakness?

Thanks for all your help.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
IndianGuardian wrote:
Thanks guys for your replies.

@mohater: In Math, I would say I am weakest at Data Sufficiency problems (and sometimes problem solving) which specifically pertain to questions with variables in them. I don't have problems in other concepts. I have started with the MGMAT books and I guess it is to do with my basics. For example, the MGMAT book in chapter 1 talks about the 'Prime Box' and I do have a difficult time understanding the way they are using it to solve problems. An example problem which I would have difficult solving would be:

"Given that 8 is not a factor of g, is 8 a factor of 8g?"

That would likely be an approach issue. The MGMAT method is breaking the math down to the simplest possible approach for the problem. Some people can look at a problem and skip a number of steps. MGMAT has you write everything down and build up.

There is a DS strategy (see strategy link in my sig). The strategy assumes you have adequate problem solving skills.

Your example is pretty straight forward. Whenever you multiple two numbers, the two number are automatically factors, even if one of the factors is prime.

i.e. 2 and 13. 2x13 = 26.
the factors are 1,2,13,26

In your example, 8 times anything automatically has 8 as a factor.
IndianGuardian wrote:
In Verbal, strong at Critical Reasoning, weak at RC and SC. I am hoping the MGMAT SC Guide will correct my SC situation and RC would be what I have to focus on. In RC, I go wrong in RC Specific or RC General questions (like inference, theme of passage etc). If the RC questions are reasoning questions, I don't get those wrong (example, which statement would the author agree with most, what would strengthen, weaken author's viewpoint etc).

Looking at the above weaknesses, which books would you recommend I use for targeting each weakness?

Thanks for all your help.

MGMAT SC is probably the most recommended verbal book on this site. If you have a strong foundation in proper written English, you shouldn't need too much help. We have the GMAT fiction thread with a list of recommended readings:
books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

Some people have used LSAT books to prep for CR and RC. The MGMAT book for RC teaches you to take notes as your write, and then use a form of shorthand to assess the answer (i.e. use a + if the answer supports the author's main point and a - if the answer goes against it).

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks mohater :) Will update with how my GMAT went once it's done.
GMAT Club Bot