Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 391
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 391
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 330 Q17 V12
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Re: Roger's hedge fund is taking x dollars and investing in bonds that [#permalink]
Can we get an explanation?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: Roger's hedge fund is taking x dollars and investing in bonds that [#permalink]
Expert Reply
SQUINGEL wrote:
Can we get an explanation?

Dear SQUINGEL,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

If you would like an explanation for the embarrassingly low quality question at the top of this thread, I would say you are better of spending your time studying questions that actually could appear on the GMAT.

If you would like an explanation of my re-write, let me know, and I would be happy to walk you through that.

Mike :-)
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31950 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mikemcgarry wrote:
robu wrote:
Roger's hedge fund is taking x dollars and investing in bonds that yield r percent in simple interest. The amount of interest earned over 2 years is $1000. In terms of x, the dollar amount invested, what dollar amount invested will yield $4000 over 5 years, assuming the bond's yield remains the same?

(A) x
(B) 2x/3
(C) 2x
(D) 4x/3
(E) 8x/5

Dear robu,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

I often say that it's relatively easy to write a high quality Quant question, and considerably harder to write a high quality Verbal question. Here, though, we have an atrocious Quant question.
1) The wording is abysmal and unclear. I would entirely rewrite this question to make clear what they are actually asking.
2) The scenario is patently absurd. No hedge fund on the face of the earth pays its clients simple interest. The sheer nonsense of that idea makes this question embarrassing. The GMAT would never do this! If it were up to me, I would rewrite in an entire different scenario, one in which linear growth, not exponential growth, would be expected.

The very job of the GMAT is to prepare folks for business school, and part of that includes testing students on their instincts for the push-and-pull of the business world: this happens all the time in GMAT CR questions, for example. In anything financial or business related, the GMAT is 100% realistic and grounded in what actually happens in the real business world. They would never have a problem in which a hedge fund is doing something very un-hedge-fund-like!!

Here's a question with the same variables and same answer choices that uses an appropriate scenario and is considerably clearer in its presentation:
Last summer, Roger worked x hours at a job, and he was paid at a rate of r dollars per hour. For the whole summer, he earned $1000. This summer, he will work at another job that offers the same pay rate, r dollars per hour. This summer he will work H hours, so that he will earn $4000 for the entire summer. In terms of x, which of the following equals H?
(A) x
(B) 2x/3
(C) 2x
(D) 4x/3
(E) 8x/5

If you found the first question confusing and can answer the second question, that is not your fault. It was the fault of the author of the first question.

Does all this make sense?

Hi Mike,
I do not think the Q rewritten has correct answer choices...
It is a simple Q and answer can be found while reading the Q itself but the answer does not figure in the choices...
roger worked x hours r dollars per hour = xr = 1000..
roger will work H hours r dollars per hour = \(Hr = 4000 = 4*1000 = 4*xr.\).... or.. H=4x
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
Hi Mike,
I do not think the Q rewritten has correct answer choices...
It is a simple Q and answer can be found while reading the Q itself but the answer does not figure in the choices...
roger worked x hours r dollars per hour = xr = 1000..
roger will work H hours r dollars per hour = \(Hr = 4000 = 4*1000 = 4*xr.\).... or.. H=4x

Dear chetan2u,
My friend, you are perfectly correct. :-) It's embarrassing that I wrote a problem so off from the answer choices. I am not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. Here is the problem that I should have written, mirroring the poorly framed original:
Last summer, Roger worked x days at 2 hours/day at a job, and he was paid at a rate of r dollars per hour. For the whole summer, he earned $1000. This summer, he will work at another job that offers the same pay rate, r dollars per hour. This summer he will work H days at 5 hours/day, so that he will earn $4000 for the entire summer. In terms of x, which of the following equals H?
(A) x
(B) 2x/3
(C) 2x
(D) 4x/3
(E) 8x/5

I substituted this corrected version into my original post above. I trust that you find the correct answer listed now?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6276 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
robu wrote:
Roger's hedge fund is taking x dollars and investing in bonds that yield r percent in simple interest. The amount of interest earned over 2 years is $1000. In terms of x, the dollar amount invested, what dollar amount invested will yield $4000 over 5 years, assuming the bond's yield remains the same?

(A) x
(B) 2x/3
(C) 2x
(D) 4x/3
(E) 8x/5

We use the simple interest formula: interest = principal x rate x time. Letting x = the principal and expressing the interest rate as a decimal, we can create the equation:

(x)(r/100)(2) = 1000

xr = 50,000

r = 50,000/x

For a 5-year period,, letting p = the new principal, the amount of interest earned will be:

(p)[(50,000/x)/100](5) = 4000

(p)(500/x) = 800

p = 800/(500/x)

p = 800x/500 = 8x/5

Alternate Solution:

Let’s first find the interest paid to x dollars over a period of 5 years. Since 5 is 2.5 times 2, the interest paid to x dollars in 5 years should also be 2.5 times the interest paid to x dollars in 2 years; i.e. 2500 dollars.

Now, let’s denote the amount required to earn 4000 dollars in 5 years by y and set up a simple proportion:

x/2500 = y/4000

y = 4000x/2500 = 8x/5

Answer: E
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92933 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts