Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

sc

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
sc [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 18:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Although Ms. Bakara had previously emphasized that she could not speak for other Black people, she ventured to do so on this one occasion because she firmly believed that many minority people, likely most, would agree with her.
(A) do so on this one occasion because she firmly believed that many minority people, likely most, would agree
(B) speak on this one occasion since she firmly believed that many minority people, likely most, would have agreed
(C) so speak on this one occasion due to her firmly believing that many minority people, even most, would likely agree
(D) do so on this one occasion because she firmly believed that many minority people, if not most, would agree
(E) do so on this one occasion since she firmly believed many minority people, and even most, would likely agree

the OA says D,,,but Dont u think (D) conveys the reverse meaning.
for example say we have 100 persons.

(D) says like 10 persons, if not 90 persons, will agree..

However, original sentence wants to convey sth like... 10 persons, may be 90 persons, will agree..

I think (A) as best answer if we want the second meaning.
Please correct me....

i hate when people do'nt post the OA, it leaves in guessing!!!!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 18:39
Dude, when are you going to learn some basic principles

Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 18:50
rhothad....I like ur signature " I hate when people do'nt underline SCs, it leaves in guessing!!!!".....it's funny :-D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 18:55
banerjeea_98 wrote:
rhothad....I like ur signature " I hate when people do'nt underline SCs, it leaves in guessing!!!!".....it's funny :-D

Yeah maan, let me see if the taste of his own medicine works, so far it hasn't.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 18:57
(C) is definitely out. 'to so speak' is not idiomatic.

So we now have a split: 'to do so' vs. 'to speak on'. The former is preferable (I think it's idiomatic to speak that way too). So B is
out.

(A) is out. (A) says that many minority people and even most would... By using 'and', it suggest a compound noun, and the most would have to modify a noun if that is the case.

(E) changes the meaning with 'would likely agree' from a definite sense in the original passage to a case of 'maybe' in (E).

D is the best chioce. (D) says that many people, if not most of them...

D it is, for me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 08:47
any more comments about D,,,,,,

anyways,,,as far as underlining is concerned,,,,,inever though it's such a big deal,,,as an MBA aspirent should be able to figure it out .........

anyways in future i'll do it for sure......

i hate when people do'nt post the OA, it leaves in guessing!!!!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 09:31
karun_aggarwal wrote:

anyways,,,as far as underlining is concerned,,,,,inever though it's such a big deal,,,as an MBA aspirent should be able to figure it out .........

Well if the ETS thought as aspiring MBA we should be able to figure it out, why would they underline anything that needs to be corrected? Lol
Anyway, it makes it easier to read and spot what is wrong in a sentence so please help us as we help one another. Thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 09:50
karun_aggarwal wrote:

Karun

We have to make it as convenient as possible for others to help us. Help us maintain a uniformity in the way discussions are conducted here.

GMAT Club is not perfect, but we definitely would love to improve and we want your help and everybody's else help to do that.

To everyone: if there is a suggestion, please reason it out respectfully. As far as possible, we should try to be respectful. If someone is disrespectful , please let me or any of the moderators know.

thanks
Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sc [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 02:08
karun_aggarwal wrote:
Although Ms. Bakara had previously emphasized that she could not speak for other Black people, she ventured to do so on this one occasion because she firmly believed that many minority people, likely most, would agree with her.
(A) do so on this one occasion because she firmly believed that many minority people, likely most, would agree
(B) speak on this one occasion since she firmly believed that many minority people, likely most, would have agreed
(C) so speak on this one occasion due to her firmly believing that many minority people, even most, would likely agree
(D) do so on this one occasion because she firmly believed that many minority people, if not most, would agree
(E) do so on this one occasion since she firmly believed many minority people, and even most, would likely agree

the OA says D,,,but Dont u think (D) conveys the reverse meaning.
for example say we have 100 persons.

(D) says like 10 persons, if not 90 persons, will agree..

However, original sentence wants to convey sth like... 10 persons, may be 90 persons, will agree..

I think (A) as best answer if we want the second meaning.
Please correct me....

This looks like a test of idiomatic usage or just the accepted way of saying something. 'At least one, if not all members of the GMAT Club, would love SC posts to be properly underlined' is the correct way of saying ...oh well you get gist. :lol:

Go with D
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 16:43
rthothad wrote:
i hate when people do'nt underline SCs, it leaves in guessing!!!!
:wink:
  [#permalink] 27 Apr 2005, 16:43