Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 09:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Simon vs. GWU

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Simon vs. GWU [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 15:47
Hi friends, I recently got two MBA offers from Rochester (Simon) and GWU. I received scholarship of $15000 from Simon, and 3/4 tuition waiver from GWU. Now I'm wondering which school should I go. Since my interest is in finance, I prefer Simon because of its strong finance. However, the location of Simon is one thing I'm considering, and I've heard the job placement of Simon is not that good. So can anyone give me some advice?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Carey (A)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Asset Management (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Simon vs. GWU [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 07:07
Eric823 wrote:
Hi friends, I recently got two MBA offers from Rochester (Simon) and GWU. I received scholarship of $15000 from Simon, and 3/4 tuition waiver from GWU. Now I'm wondering which school should I go. Since my interest is in finance, I prefer Simon because of its strong finance. However, the location of Simon is one thing I'm considering, and I've heard the job placement of Simon is not that good. So can anyone give me some advice?

Hello Eric823,
Congrats on your 2 offers! Unfortunately, I am not in a position to offer any advice as I am need of one myself lol. I am a round 2 GWU applicant and still haven't heard anything from the admission office. Although, I agree with what you said about GWU might not be the strongest hub for financiers, a friend of mine(2nd year student at GWU) told me that we are allowed to take up to 6 credits in other schools, such as Georgetown and Johns Hopkins. So you can take up to 2 courses at gtown, for example, which offers great finance courses. hope this helps!

You applied in round 1 or 2? And do you know around when they usually send interview invitations?

Thanks and best of luck!
-F
Intern
Intern

Re: Simon vs. GWU [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 07:25
flamenco2007 wrote:
Eric823 wrote:

Hello Eric823,
Congrats on your 2 offers! Unfortunately, I am not in a position to offer any advice as I am need of one myself lol. I am a round 2 GWU applicant and still haven't heard anything from the admission office. Although, I agree with what you said about GWU might not be the strongest hub for financiers, a friend of mine(2nd year student at GWU) told me that we are allowed to take up to 6 credits in other schools, such as Georgetown and Johns Hopkins. So you can take up to 2 courses at gtown, for example, which offers great finance courses. hope this helps!

You applied in round 1 or 2? And do you know around when they usually send interview invitations?

Thanks and best of luck!
-F

Hello friend, thanks for your reply & information about GWU! I applied in round 1, and received interview invitation via email after around one month. Wish you all the best!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Simon (A)

Re: Simon vs. GWU [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 21:45
Eric823 wrote:

Hello Eric823,

Would you mind sharing your profile (GMAT score, GPA, years of work experience, etc.)? I also applied to both of these schools, Simon and GWU. Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Simon vs. GWU [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 06:27
rwbaut wrote:
Eric823 wrote:

Hello Eric823,

Would you mind sharing your profile (GMAT score, GPA, years of work experience, etc.)? I also applied to both of these schools, Simon and GWU. Thanks.

Hi friend,
Here's my info. for your reference. hope it helpful~
G: 710; GPA:3.25; one year in start-up & 2 year banking
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Simon vs. GWU [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 11:26
Eric823 wrote:

Location-wise, Rochester is very cold in the winter. Job placement has been an issue for the last 2-3 years because of the economy (and my assumption is that finance side took a bigger hit..), but I wouldn't worry too much if you're a domestic applicant, because it's mostly the international students who couldn't get job offers after the graduation.
Simon is aware of the job placement situation (as they talked about it in their open house orientations), but if you're looking into finance, I think Simon will be a better choice than GWU.

ARE YOU READY?

Intern
Intern
Schools: Simon (A)

Re: Simon vs. GWU [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 11:32
shady14 wrote:
Eric823 wrote:

Location-wise, Rochester is very cold in the winter. Job placement has been an issue for the last 2-3 years because of the economy (and my assumption is that finance side took a bigger hit..), but I wouldn't worry too much if you're a domestic applicant, because it's mostly the international students who couldn't get job offers after the graduation.
Simon is aware of the job placement situation (as they talked about it in their open house orientations), but if you're looking into finance, I think Simon will be a better choice than GWU.

Hi shady14,

What about marketing or consulting? Which, Rochester or George Washington University, would be a better school for those areas?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Simon vs. GWU [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 15:38
rwbaut wrote:
shady14 wrote:
Eric823 wrote:

Hi shady14,

What about marketing or consulting? Which, Rochester or George Washington University, would be a better school for those areas?

hey,

I'm not too familiar with GWU program, so I wouldn't go as far to compare the two schools that specifically. Sorry :wink:

ARE YOU READY?

Intern
Intern

Re: Simon vs. GWU [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 20:11
GWU for sure! financial wise and location/future job network also. If i were u , i would go GWU
Re: Simon vs. GWU   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2012, 20:11