Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [20]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [5]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2860 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2723 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type of pancreati [#permalink]
Hai Karishma

can you tell me that in option B "suggested drinks" means diet soda or regular soda. i thought like suggested drink means diet soda. How can i differentiate. please explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [0]
Send PM
Re: Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type of pancreati [#permalink]
Thanks Karishma for the reply.

As you pointed out that we need to focus on Conclusion in Weaken /Strengthen question, however, I need to confirm one doubt. Can we state the conclusion in our own words as you did below(colored part). i.e. Are we allowed to state the logical intent of the conclusion, just as you found out in your reply?

While going through the explanation of this question from book, same conclusion is being derived i.e the one you found out logically and then options were analyzed in order to weaken it. That is where I got confused.

Please explain.
Thanks

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

One of the most important things in CR - you have to strengthen/weaken the conclusion of the stimulus. Just the conclusion.

So first thing to look for is the conclusion. It is pretty straight forward here, isn't it?
It starts with 'Therefore' and fits the description of conclusion perfectly. It is the conclusion of the stimulus then.

Focus on the conclusion: if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer

What is it trying to tell you? It is saying that if you reduce your sugar intake, your chances of getting pancreatic cancer reduces.

I think the only confusion is between (B) and (C).
(B) is correct because it gives you an alternative cause of pancreatic cancer - no regular exercise. Since people who consume sugar drinks are also the ones who exercise little, the ones who consume diet drinks could be more active and hence, there could be an alternative explanation. Hence the conclusion that reduction in sugar will reduce your chances of getting pancreatic cancer is weakened.

(C) is a sneaky but incorrect option. It kind of strengthens the link between sugar and cancer, doesn't it? People who drink regular pop also consume more sugar in other things. So probably, people who consume diet drinks take less sugar in other things too and hence, their risk of cancer is lower. Don't forget the intent of the conclusion - it is establishing a relation between sugar and cancer, not between soda pop and cancer. The whole stimulus is based on the amount of sugar.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [0]
Send PM
Hi TomB,
I have edited my post. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
H
TomB wrote:
Hai Karishma

can you tell me that in option B "suggested drinks" means diet soda or regular soda. i thought like suggested drink means diet soda. How can i differentiate. please explain
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Karishma for the reply.

As you pointed out that we need to focus on Conclusion in Weaken /Strengthen question, however, I need to confirm one doubt. Can we state the conclusion in our own words as you did below(colored part). i.e. Are we allowed to state the logical intent of the conclusion, just as you found out in your reply?

While going through the explanation of this question from book, same conclusion is being derived i.e the one you found out logically and then options were analyzed in order to weaken it. That is where I got confused.

Please explain.
Thanks

Yes, you certainly have to focus on the intent of the conclusion. If one replaces sugar soda pop with diet soda pop but starts drinking fruit juices with added sugar, it doesn't help, does it?

That is how Verbal is different from Quant (though CR is closest to Quant). You take Quant on face value (if the variable given is 'a', it is 'a'. The author's intent cannot be 'b'.). In Verbal, you need to deduce the author's intent sometimes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1235 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
sriharimurthy wrote:

b) Statistically, people who consume several suggested (is this the same word used in the original question?)drinks a day are also the least likely to maintain a regular exercise regimen. It has been shown that regular exercise is a factor in reducing the pancreatic cancer.This provides us with with another reason as to why people who drink regular soda pop might be getting pancreatic cancer - Lack of exercise. Therefore since this alludes to the fact that lack of exercise and not soda pop is the reason they might be getting pancreatic cancer, this definitely weakens the conclusion.

It has been shown that regular exercise is a factor in reducing the pancreatic cancer.

Does this mean that lack of regular exercise ---> increases the chances of cancer ???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Not simply a part of the pancreas, stomach or gallbladder are removed via the surgery treatment implemented in Whipple treatment for pancreatic cancer. Tumor concerning the pancreas may be tremendously helped with it. Usually, deficiency of information that's equally precise and simple to learn can easily weigh on already distressed individuals. This content can help patients, their own families as well as relatives to understand the Whipple procedure, survival rate, side effects and possible prospects.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Straight B.

One way to weaken the "To reduce pancreatic cancer, stop drinking sugared drinks" argument is to identify alternative causes of the disease. If exercise has been found to be a major reducer of the likelihood of the diseases, this revelation diminishes the need to cut down consumption of the sugared drinks.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
imhimanshu wrote:
My doubts-

I know this is a classic cause - effect reasoning, however where I got confused is what we need to Weaken.
i.e whether we need to weaken is
sugar causes a specific type of pancreatic cancer -----equation A
or
Therefore, if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer --- equation B

Correct answer choice is blatant enough. Need to understand that answer choice B is weakening equation A or B

Also, I need reasoning for choice C as why that is wrong.

Thanks

One of the most important things in CR - you have to strengthen/weaken the conclusion of the stimulus. Just the conclusion.

So first thing to look for is the conclusion. It is pretty straight forward here, isn't it?
It starts with 'Therefore' and fits the description of conclusion perfectly. It is the conclusion of the stimulus then.

Focus on the conclusion: if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer

What is it trying to tell you? It is saying that if you reduce your sugar intake, your chances of getting pancreatic cancer reduces.

(B) is correct because it gives you an alternative cause of pancreatic cancer - no regular exercise. Since people who consume sugar drinks are also the ones who exercise little, the ones who consume diet drinks could be more active and hence, there could be an alternative explanation. Hence the conclusion that reduction in sugar will reduce your chances of getting pancreatic cancer is weakened.

(C) is a sneaky but incorrect option. It kind of strengthens the link between sugar and cancer, doesn't it? People who drink regular pop also consume more sugar in other things. So probably, people who consume diet drinks take less sugar in other things too and hence, their risk of cancer is lower. Don't forget the intent of the conclusion - it is establishing a relation between sugar and cancer, not between soda pop and cancer. The whole stimulus is based on the amount of sugar.

Hi Karishma,

If the stimulus is based on amount of sugar, then the fact that people drinking diet sodas would reduce/be mindful of their sugar intake in other aspects of their diet directly panders to our forethinking, correct? Option C would then mean that substituting drinks would not resolve the issue, conscious effort to reduce sugar intake would. (am i overthinking here?)

Add to it the fact that option C was my prethinking choice. So, although I took more than a minute deciding between B and C, I (obviously) went with my prethinking.
I still cant get my head around why B is the winner over C here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type of pancreatic cancer. They have found that people who consume at least 2 carbonated drinks containing sugar per day have a 90% higher rate of pancreatic cancer than those who drink the same number of diet drinks per day. Therefore, if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above.

P: Sugar causes panc. cancer
P: 2+ sodas = 90% higher rate of panc. cancer vs. same amt of diet soda
C: Sub reg soda for diet = lower chances of panc. cancer

Need to attack the argument

a) Many diet drinks contain artificial sweeteners called cyclamates, which have been known to cause intestinal and bladder cancer in lab studies
WRONG: Don't care about int/blad cancer, this is about panc. cancer
b) Statistically, people who consume several sugared drinks a day are also the least likely to maintain a regular exercise regimen. It has been shown that regular exercise is a factor in reducing the pancreatic cancer.
Hmm....Possibly since this implies that exercise reduces panc. cancer and people who drink soda tend not to exercise much.
c) People who generally avoid sugared beverages also tend to avoid sugar in other parts of diet.
WRONG: This actually strengthens argument since if someone avoids soda, they avoid sugar sources
d) Diet drinks have actually been linked to a higher risk of weight gain
WRONG: Don't care about risk of weight gain, I care about subbing reg soda for diet = lower chances of panc. cancer
e) The study showed that the increase in rate of pancreatic cancer remained the same whether the person drank 2 or 5 sugared drinks.
WRONG: Doesn't weaken argument as the claim is at least 2+ sodas a day
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
P : more sugar --> more chance of cancer
C : less sugar-- > less chance of cancer

Assumption: sugar causes cancer!

Maybe sugar doesn't cause cancer, something else does.

B. gives that alternative explanation.
C.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
perfervid89 wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
My doubts-

I know this is a classic cause - effect reasoning, however where I got confused is what we need to Weaken.
i.e whether we need to weaken is
sugar causes a specific type of pancreatic cancer -----equation A
or
Therefore, if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer --- equation B

Correct answer choice is blatant enough. Need to understand that answer choice B is weakening equation A or B

Also, I need reasoning for choice C as why that is wrong.

Thanks

Hi Karishma,

If the stimulus is based on amount of sugar, then the fact that people drinking diet sodas would reduce/be mindful of their sugar intake in other aspects of their diet directly panders to our forethinking, correct? Option C would then mean that substituting drinks would not resolve the issue, conscious effort to reduce sugar intake would. (am i overthinking here?)

Add to it the fact that option C was my prethinking choice. So, although I took more than a minute deciding between B and C, I (obviously) went with my prethinking.
I still cant get my head around why B is the winner over C here.

Option (C) strengthens the connect between sugar and cancer. People who drink diet pop, avoid sugar at other places too. These people see lower incidence of cancer.
It, in a way, strengthens our conclusion. If you drop regular soda and drink diet one, you will be reducing your sugar intake and that will reduce the chances of cancer. It might reduce the chances by 30% (instead of 80-90% as seen by the scientists) but it is probable that it will reduce the chances.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts