Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Re: Sorry State of mind after a 540 on 1st Gmat prep...!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
himanc wrote:
Just to correct you sir, i gave my mock gmat prep 1st exam after almost a month and half's practice . I have solved the OG & verbal review but not during this time period but before that .. I have prescibed to online course from sandeep gupta and was following it for the past 1 and a half month.
Also i got only2-3 questions wrong in SC of the ones i attempted.
Therefore now i wanted to plan my study schedule so that i can improve upon particulary RC and CR and at the same time maintain my score in quants. Focus is a big issue that i am facing while attempting verbaI plan to take the exam in the 1st week of october.
I have given Kaplan test with scores 560,590,590,630.

Hey himanc,

That is a huge drop from your last CAT score.
Although the sources you have quoted here are very good, still the best indicators of your preparation are the official GMAT Prep CATs.

What was your score on the Official CATs.
Also, did you make an error log? If not, I recommend you doing so for this round of preparation and revise it every alternate day.
An error log makes sure that you do not make the same mistake again.

The best way to improve your CR is by pre thinking. You should read the question prompt first and then read the premise.
On the RC section, try to make a passage map while you are reading the passage. This will help you to organize the information that you gather.

There are many study plans available here. May be you can try the following:
gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html?fl=menu
study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html

I would recommend you to shift your test to November. The R1 deadlines for the schools will be over by the first week of October and you can use the additional month to bolster your preparation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
himanc wrote:
I gave the first Gmat Prep Exam after about a month's study and got a shattering score of 540 q49,v17,ir-6.Could not complete the test.
Not able to figure out how to go about from here on, of the 38 questions i attempted,i got just 1 or 2 wrong in SC.
Even in quants there were a few questions that i had done before so i din't really need to solve.
Focus is a major issue in verbal, can't sit through verbal at all. Have never been a reader in my life.
Any advice....!!

Hey himanc

Here is a customized 2-3 month study plan that can help boost your score: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

Use this as a guideline. You don’t have to follow it exactly but the structure of the study plan should be the same structure that you take in your approach. This helps to optimize your retention and learning.

As you study, we recommend that you focus on one particular subsection for multiple consecutive days before moving onto the next. You can see this in our study plan where we recommend 5 days on nothing but SC -- before moving onto CR and then RC.

Here is a sample SC video to help you start your journey: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

Best of luck- we are here to help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
If possible get a word with www.gmat-scholar.com and get their consultation....even i had these problems which i eventually overcomed with their help!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi himanc,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough study time yet.

I'd like to know a bit more about your studies and timeline/goals:

1) You say that you've studied for 1.5 months, but how much of that time was spent exclusively on your Verbal practice?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

4) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical SC, RC or CR prompt?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sorry State of mind after a 540 on 1st Gmat prep...!! [#permalink]
Hey rich,

a)i think i had put in less of practice time and more of learning through lectures time.
b)I want a V40 to 45 range
c) I am planning to take the GMAT in the mid of October.
d) For RC i try to mark the opinion of the author, write the flow of the passage. In CR assumption questions i follow negation technique.. for the rest just focus on conclusion to derive at the answer.SC is just fine... i scan the first and last part of the underlined portion, apply rules etc.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi himanc,

From what you've described, I think that the 'simple' answer is that you just have not done enough Verbal practice yet - so we can't really tell if you're making fundamental mistakes or if you're just inexperienced. So some of this might improve with time. However, the 'steps' that you described (about how you handle RC and CR) do NOT sound particularly thorough/strategic and that makes me think that you're often just going straight to the answers and picking one that 'sounds good' (without having a strong, logical reason for why you picked it). THAT issue might mean that you haven't learned the proper tactics for how to deal with the Verbal section.

These days, a V40 is right around the 90th percentile overall, so raising your current score to that level will take some time (and it still might be too high of a goal). I suggest that you study for another 1-2 weeks as you choose, then take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT. Once you have that score, you should report back here. Based on that score result, we'll have a better idea of whether you have to make some big adjustments to your studies or not.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts