Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.36
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.36
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Stern (NYU) 2016 Class - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink]
Thanks for the advice, but Stern considers just the best overall score. Which means that nothing would change if I get 51 in the Quantitative part and 33 in the verbal one (with an overall score of 690).

Is a 740 really so different than a 710? Of course, it is a better score... but does it really tell so many different things than a mere 710?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Wanted to let everyone know that I was admitted to the summer start program off the wait list on Monday 3/24! It's been a long journey for me, but I am thrilled to finally say that I AM IN!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Schools: Stern '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Lerio wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but Stern considers just the best overall score. Which means that nothing would change if I get 51 in the Quantitative part and 33 in the verbal one (with an overall score of 690).

Is a 740 really so different than a 710? Of course, it is a better score... but does it really tell so many different things than a mere 710?

Hey Lerio, I strongly recommend that you do not re-write the gmat. As you've already alluded to there is not much difference between a 740 and 710 at this point. What I do recommend is to reach out to current students who experienced a similar situation as yourself and see what strategy they recommend. Also, you're not a bad spot right now because the class seems to be approximately 50% full and there will be a lot of movement in late April when admitted students will have to pay a deposit.

Perhaps, write a letter (mail it, don't email) to the adcom making a strong case why Stern is the best fit for you and what you're able to bring to the school - make sure you address it to the admissions chair, I believe her name is Paula Steisel Goldfarb (https://www.stern.nyu.edu/experience-ste ... ship-team/). Don't come across as being desperate, but show what you can do for the school - Just a thought.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello sungs:

Wondering why you feel it is better to mail (and not email) the update letter to Stern?

Thanks

sungs wrote:
Lerio wrote:

Hey Lerio, I strongly recommend that you do not re-write the gmat. As you've already alluded to there is not much difference between a 740 and 710 at this point. What I do recommend is to reach out to current students who experienced a similar situation as yourself and see what strategy they recommend. Also, you're not a bad spot right now because the class seems to be approximately 50% full and there will be a lot of movement in late April when admitted students will have to pay a deposit.

Perhaps, write a letter (mail it, don't email) to the adcom making a strong case why Stern is the best fit for you and what you're able to bring to the school - make sure you address it to the admissions chair, I believe her name is Paula Steisel Goldfarb (https://www.stern.nyu.edu/experience-ste ... ship-team/). Don't come across as being desperate, but show what you can do for the school - Just a thought.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools: Stern '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
anupam4424 wrote:
Hello sungs:

Wondering why you feel it is better to mail (and not email) the update letter to Stern?

Thanks

Maybe I'm a bit off base with my previous post, I'm unaware of the update letter. If there are specific instructions given on how to submit the letter then please disregard my suggestions.

I stumbled upon this article on poets and quants that may help, https://poetsandquants.com/2013/04/07/how-to-get-off-the-mba-waitlist/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
jpd5044 wrote:
Wanted to let everyone know that I was admitted to the summer start program off the wait list on Monday 3/24! It's been a long journey for me, but I am thrilled to finally say that I AM IN!!!

Hi, did you do anything special to get off the waitlist? Also, did you get waitlisted before or after the interview? Canratulations on finally being accepted!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: CBS '17
GMAT 1: 700 Q40 V47
Send PM
I am waitlisted as well : 700 GMAT (41 quant, 47 verbal), 5 years work exp, 3.2 undergrad gpa with a relatively weak quant background.
I imagine that if I improved my quant profile, I may look like a better candidate for admission.

Should I retake GMAT? I worry that I may not again score in the 700s. I know 41 is low but I find the quant very difficult.
Should I take online business mathematics courses and show record of completion? Or should I take a real college level math course in NYC this summer- I worry that since these courses aren't over until late June, that I wont have completed grades/certificates to show until after NYU has likely made their decisions on the waitlist.

I recently received a promotion and have attended a few networking events and will continue to network with current Stern students and Alums.
Any ideas?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
I was waitlisted at Stern for round 1 along with 2 other friends. All 3 of us got waitlisted without interview. In the last 1 month the other 2 guys got interviewed and admitted. I am just wondering if there are any others like me who are still waitlisted without interview from round 1? Also another thing that concerns me is that unlike schools where I have been waitlisted, I have not heard anything from Stern at all since waitlist. Other schools have a waitlist manager to send updates to. Any advice would be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
davidwiley wrote:
Hi,
I was waitlisted at Stern for round 1 along with 2 other friends. All 3 of us got waitlisted without interview. In the last 1 month the other 2 guys got interviewed and admitted. I am just wondering if there are any others like me who are still waitlisted without interview from round 1? Also another thing that concerns me is that unlike schools where I have been waitlisted, I have not heard anything from Stern at all since waitlist. Other schools have a waitlist manager to send updates to. Any advice would be appreciated.

I called them today. They refused to tell me anything specific about my waitlisted application but said that they continue to evaluate the waitlists all the way until summer. I also think that as april 1 was the notification for round 3, once the candidates from this round are interviewed - the school will have a better understanding of their intake and there will be movement on the waitlist.

The 2 candidates you talked about - i think one case was for the summer start and the other for waitlisted after the interview. So although I cannot be 100% sure, my feeling is that most of us are in the same boat of waiting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
davidwiley wrote:
Hi,

I see you have been accepted by Kelloggs. Just out of curiosity, are you considering not going to Kelloggs, in case you receive an admit from Stern
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Anupam.
Are you also waitlisted without interview from round 1? If yes, did you receive any email updates from the admissions committee whatsoever? do you know who specifically to email about updates to our application or status (is it admchair@stern.nyu.edu)?

I called them right now but the person I spoke to just told me that "the waitlist is a long process and you can be interviewed at any time."
Intern
Intern
Send PM
davidwiley wrote:
Thanks Anupam.
Are you also waitlisted without interview from round 1? If yes, did you receive any email updates from the admissions committee whatsoever? do you know who specifically to email about updates to our application or status (is it admchair@stern.nyu.edu)?

I called them right now but the person I spoke to just told me that "the waitlist is a long process and you can be interviewed at any time."

Yes, its admchair email. Once you send them your updates - they respond in 1-2 days to confirm that the update has been added to your file.
Yes, I was waitlisted without interview from round 1. No updates whatsoever.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all! I am happy to report that I got an admitting letter today! I cannot believe I got in! My timeline is:
Applied round 2
Interviewed in Dec 19
Waitlisted on January 19
Admitted May 1
While waiting I attended 1 event and volunteered at another event, I also sent commitment letter, rec letter from alumni, essay on which steps I took to determine my new career, and a presentation on why I will succeed in my new career! I guess all these steps helped me get in!
Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
congratulations ek! this is great news and look forward to meeting you on campus this fall!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
financefella wrote:
congratulations ek! this is great news and look forward to meeting you on campus this fall!

Thank you Financefella! I am very happy and look forward to meeting you and others in person soon! This was definitely a long journey for me (2 years of wars with GMAT and 2 years preparations and applications)- so I definitely feel relieved and happy now! Hard work and perseverance definitely work!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Good news bros.

I will be vacating my spot on the wait list; hope it actually helps someone.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All NYU Stern Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All NYU Stern Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All NYU Stern Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated NYU Stern Forum to dive into all things related to NYU Stern's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts