Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 3.73
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [2]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Strategy for 38 to 45 Quant -- Need Feedback [#permalink]
stevennu wrote:
How big of a jump is it from 38 to 42? Is it the difference between 4-5 correct vs wrong answers? I'm just trying to hone in on how much of an improvement I need to make. In all my tests I've made some stupid mistakes that have resulted in 2-3 incorrect answers in a row. If I eliminate the string of wrong answers, do you think that will be enough to get 42+?

Yes, Mostly but you have be strong on your basics and donot make silly mistakes, That will surely fetch you above 40. Then concentrate deeper weaker areas. Analyze them and you can get above 45-46.

If you read the above mentioned post. And follow the process. You will reach your dream raw score in Quants.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619212 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
stevennu wrote:
I wanted to get some feedback from you all out there regarding my study plan to move from a 38 quant score to a 45 quant score. Thus far i've taken 3 Manhattan GMAT CAT tests and scored 630, 620 and 640. My verbal score in all three tests has hovered in the 38-41 range. I'm not worried whatsoever with regards to my verbal. I'm doing a mix of about 20 verbal questions per day in order to stay fresh and maintain my skills.

Obviously, much of the improvement I need to focus on is in the quant section. I'm wrapping up the final MGMAT quant book and although I've learned a lot, I still feel that I have to go back and cement some of the concepts in my head. I feel very good about FDP's, and Geometry. I think most of my problems in the quant section arise from a lack of skill in properly breaking down word problems/rate problems into algebraic equations, and from an inability to create a system of equations in order to solve the standard quant questions. In addition to the aforementioned, I'm also missing between 7-10 questions on each quant section as a result of stupid errors.

I originally scheduled my test for October 19th but given my work schedule, was forced to reschedule to November 23. This gives me a good amount of time (I hope) to address my weaknesses and get the score I'm after. Regarding my score, I'm not after an astronomical score by any means. I'm shooting for a GMAT of around 680. If I can get that, I feel that the rest of my profile and application will pull me through just fine.

I spent some time this evening reading articles and preparing a plan for the next 6 weeks of study. Would you all be so kind as to comment on my plan as well as suggest additional material/methods that may help me improve?

Below is my rough plan.

After I finish the last GMAT Quant Guide, I'm going to start again from the top and work my way through the books. I purchased the GMAT Quant review book so I will be answering questions from there in addition to re-answering questions from the OG. In addition to re-reading the materials and my notes, I will also be watching the corresponding "Thursdays with Ron" video on the MGMAT website. I just watched my first one today regarding combinations and I think that it was very helpful. My goal this time around is to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts and how they are incorporated into the GMAT. I will be supplementing the MGAMT materials with the Kaplan math book. I plan to spend about 1 week per book reviewing the materials and watching the videos.

I signed up for BTG's daily quant question and will be solving those in addition to the questions from GMAT Club.

I now have data from three MGMAT CAT tests and will be going through it in order to figure out where my weaknesses lie. The only problem is that I took two of the tests prior to completing the MGAMT Quant Guides. I think that my errors may be skewed towards areas I have improved upon. What is the best way by reviewing the tests reports to evaluate my weak areas?

Starting the 26th, I will be taking the last three MGMAT CAT's as well as the 2 Prep Tests in order to continue to get myself in the GMAT groove.

Do you all think this is enough to get over the hump or are there other things I can be doing? Please give me any advice you may have - I'm all ears.

Thanks for the help.

The following posts might help.

ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-140445.html

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR QUANT SCORE

Improving from 30-35 to 40-44
Improving from 44 to 50

Other discussions dedicated to this issue:
quant-strategy-to-go-from-q47-to-q50-q51-137078.html
i-m-getting-a-consistent-q-48-49-i-m-an-engg-student-and-134999.html
3-weeks-to-increase-quant-score-134473.html
improving-q-from-a-50-to-a-145212.html
the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html
help-need-for-quant-150311.html
hitting-the-wall-please-share-your-prep-experience-150112.html
how-to-improve-quant-score-137975.html
need-pointers-to-move-q42-43-q50-148568.html
a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html
do-i-need-to-change-the-way-i-study-110611.html
several-people-has-asked-me-if-it-is-possible-to-improve-40820.html
gmat-in-less-than-4-weeks-desperately-need-quant-advice-127092.html
stuck-at-47-test-in-a-month-137521.html
improve-gmat-score-from-620-to-700-need-urgent-help-144530.html
calling-quant-experts-need-a-strategy-to-improve-146045.html
final-weeks-calculation-silly-errors-and-speed-129408.html
knocked-down-by-the-gmat-for-the-second-time-150350.html
several-people-has-asked-me-if-it-is-possible-to-improve-40820.html
how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q44-to-q50-141670.html
help-gmat-in-3-days-134350.html

HOW TO SPEED UP

Want to speed up? Check this: Timing Strategies on the GMAT
Other discussions dedicated to this issue:
for-non-quant-beasts-128188.html
how-to-speed-up-answering-math-questions-19365.html
having-trouble-finishing-quant-section-any-ideas-110613.html
ds-and-timing-help-108310.html
final-weeks-calculation-silly-errors-and-speed-129408.html
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi,

You seem to be on right track. Best way to go ahead is to analyse those 3 mock tests - analyse results of first 2 tests that you gave before completing quants guide with that of third test- analyse yourself on below 3 points-
1) repeat mistakes in any topic area means you need to work on particular subject areas, if these errors have decreased in third test, then you have improved ur skills in these areas.

2) if repeat errors are less i.e if your mistakes are spread over a wide range, then have a greater task on hand. In such a case,either you need to strengthen concepts in most areas or these mistakes are driven by external factors-test environment,your concentration level,any breaks etc you might have taken.. You will be best judge to know if errors were concept driven or environment driven.

3) also,look at the frequency of errors- are you getting consecutive answers wrong, or are they spaced out. Are you making too many mistakes in beginning of the test or towards the end. These aspects are very importent to know as they may have major impact on your final score.

Base your further study plan on this analysis. You may also download this GMAT test tool and gauge your GMAT score https://bit.ly/1aTe4yR

Let me know if you have any query or if I can help you more in anyway.

Would be glad to provide more inputs basis your analysis of these mock test results.

Cheers!
Neha Singh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I took my first GMAT prep test today and scored a 690 (Q44 / V40)! Over the past two weeks I spent a lot of time hammering my quant and making sure I understood simple underlying concepts. For reference, my MGMAT CAT scores were 630, 620, and 640. Today was the first time I've scored over 60th percentile in quant. I'm obviously excited as this gets me right around my target score. In your guys' experience, is the GMAT Prep software pretty indicative of the scoring on the real GMAT? I missed something like 18 of the 37 questions in the quant and still got better than 60th percentile. I feel like if this were the MGMAT CAT test, my quant would have been closer to the 50th percentile.
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi,

That's really wonderful that your score is improving with practice on mock tests. Regarding gmatprep test- for the first and second test (where you are not seeing any repeat questions), your score gives you an fairly accurate idea of your actual gmat score with current preparation level.

For more GMAT related information visit https://bit.ly/1aTe4yR

Cheers!
Neha Singh
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92947 posts