Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Terrible Verbal part!How can I improve it? [#permalink]
ZoeGr wrote:
Hey guys

I just took the Gmat and my overall was 640.I got Q50 AWA 5 and V25!As you understand from the AWA I have a good level in English!However, as I am not a native speaker, I would like to know if there are any tips that I can follow to improve the Verbal.

Thank you all in advance!

Your quant score is great, so as you mentioned you just need to pull the verbal part up. I would not say that AWA score is an indicator of the verbal section performance. You do need English grammar and some CR skills in AWA but the verbal section needs a lot more.

For RC and CR, I believe that OG problems are good enough. Do both OG 13 and verbal OG. Before trying OG CR problems, read powerscore CR book. For SC, if you have already gone through the rules, just practise with OG, GMATPrep or some good CATs.

You can also try official GMAT paper tests for verbal.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KapTeacherEli wrote:
ZoeGr wrote:
Hey guys

I just took the Gmat and my overall was 640.I got Q50 AWA 5 and V25!As you understand from the AWA I have a good level in English!However, as I am not a native speaker, I would like to know if there are any tips that I can follow to improve the Verbal.

Hi Zoe,

It's hard to improve just with "tips." If you're getting a 5 AWA, you definitely have the skills to pull that Verbal score up noticeably, but you'll have to put some work in to do it! What's your time-frame for your next test, and how much time per day/week can you commit to studying? Once I know that, I'll be much better able to point you to the resources that will help you out!

Eli

Hi Eli!

Thank you for your answer!I have one month left to study and the GMAT is the only thing I have to deal with this period.I am not working right now so the time I can commit to studying is 24/7!

Zoe
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kaps07 wrote:
ZoeGr wrote:
Hey guys

Your quant score is great, so as you mentioned you just need to pull the verbal part up. I would not say that AWA score is an indicator of the verbal section performance. You do need English grammar and some CR skills in AWA but the verbal section needs a lot more.

For RC and CR, I believe that OG problems are good enough. Do both OG 13 and verbal OG. Before trying OG CR problems, read powerscore CR book. For SC, if you have already gone through the rules, just practise with OG, GMATPrep or some good CATs.

You can also try official GMAT paper tests for verbal.

Thank you for your advice!I ll definetely check OG :)

Originally posted by ZoeGr on 03 Sep 2012, 11:42.
Last edited by ZoeGr on 03 Sep 2012, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
ZoeGr wrote:
Hi Eli!

Thank you for your answer!I have one month left to study and the GMAT is the only thing I have to deal with this period.I am not working right now so the time I can commit to studying is 24/7!

Zoe

Hi Zoe,

I recommend a course book such as Kaplan's GMAT Premier. If your essay is a 5, but your verbal score is at it's current level, that tells me that content such as grammar isn't a priority; rather, effective strategies and understanding of the question type are key. For that reason, I actually disagree with Kaps07's recommendation! The OG books are great resources for problems and will cover all the concepts behind GMAT questions, but they are not effective guides for strategy. You'll probably want to pick them up and work through them the week leading up to your exam, but right now your priority should be to have consistent, reliable methods for all three verbal Q-types.

Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!

Eli
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KapTeacherEli wrote:
ZoeGr wrote:
Hi Eli!

Zoe

Hi Zoe,

I recommend a course book such as Kaplan's GMAT Premier. If your essay is a 5, but your verbal score is at it's current level, that tells me that content such as grammar isn't a priority; rather, effective strategies and understanding of the question type are key. For that reason, I actually disagree with Kaps07's recommendation! The OG books are great resources for problems and will cover all the concepts behind GMAT questions, but they are not effective guides for strategy. You'll probably want to pick them up and work through them the week leading up to your exam, but right now your priority should be to have consistent, reliable methods for all three verbal Q-types.

Eli

Thank you Eli!I believe too that my weakness is at strategy!I have alrady practised Kaplan's GMAT premiere and to be honest I think it was very close to the actual exam!So, I would like to practice another Kaplan book also. Are there any other Kaplan suggestions you have that contain some strategy tips?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
ZoeGr wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
ZoeGr wrote:
Hi Eli!

Zoe

Hi Zoe,

Eli

Thank you Eli!I believe too that my weakness is at strategy!I have alrady practised Kaplan's GMAT premiere and to be honest I think it was very close to the actual exam!So, I would like to practice another Kaplan book also. Are there any other Kaplan suggestions you have that contain some strategy tips?
Kaplan has a Verbal Workbook available through Amazon and other online retailers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Eli[/quote]

Thank you Eli!I believe too that my weakness is at strategy!I have alrady practised Kaplan's GMAT premiere and to be honest I think it was very close to the actual exam!So, I would like to practice another Kaplan book also. Are there any other Kaplan suggestions you have that contain some strategy tips?[/quote]Kaplan has a Verbal Workbook available through Amazon and other online retailers![/quote]

Thank you a lot Eli!Your advices were very helpfull!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear ZoeGr,

We offer a course that is designed for non-natives and focused on Verbal. We also give a 4 point verbal score improvement guarantee. If you take the # of reviews in the GMATClub review section as a metric, you will find that we have helped more non-natives than all the other test prep companies combined.

What sets us apart - the Quality and the Breadth of our offering. We only hire full-time instructors who teach the GMAT. We are the world's first and the only test prep company to offer a 4-point (out of 60) verbal score improvement guarantee. We are so confident of our offerings that we offer approx. 20% of our course free of charge. We are probably the only test prep company that offers a no hassle money back guarantee.

Free Session: Attend the free session this weekend on Prethinking for Assumptions. Click here for more details. Register at e-GMAT to get an invite.

Take our free trial and see if you find it helpful.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Hi zoe!
I got the same score 640(Q42, V 35) on my actual Gmat.When I did my Gmatprep for the first time I scored V25. I actuallu improved 10 points. As far as improving Verbal score is concerned, it actually takes times. You can do the following strategy guides.
Power score CR bible.
Manhattan SC guide.
Manhattan RC guide.
For practice, OG material for verbal is by far the best and most authentic. Try to do OG verbal section multiple times(especially the SC part). Don,t finish the material just for the sake of finishing it, go into micro details and make notes for every SC question. Read the explanation for both the correct and wrong question. As you are a non-native speaker it will help you identify different sentence structures. when you are done with OG you can try these GMATprep 200 SC question. see attachment
1000 SC is not recommended as it quantity more than quality. I will also not recommend RC 99 because in real Gmat the passages are short followed by three or four RC questions, while RC 99 has all long passages. For RC just time every passage from OG at 2min per RC question. If the passage has 4 question it shouldn't take more than 7-8 min. I started with 60% accuracy but after practicing this way my accuracy reached 85% in RC. Secondly, When you do your CR it will also improve your RC performance because a lot of inference and main point based question are there in RC too.You scored 50 in quant can you tell me what material you did to practice above 45 level quant?? I will be thankful if you guide me Best of luck
Attachments

GPOA.doc [230 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times

GPSC.doc [431 KiB]
Downloaded 80 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
GMAT 2: 530 Q49 V13
GMAT 3: 590 Q49 V21
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,
I have taken e-GMAT SC course and work on around 25 videos but when it comes to application I found myself in a nervous state. Please help me how to approach the course and get most of it. My verbal score is in range of 18-23.
Thanks
Vikrant
GMAT Club Bot