Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The agriculturist appears confident that her study will show

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Scrum Alliance
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
The agriculturist appears confident that her study will show [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 08:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

32% (01:40) correct 68% (00:57) wrong based on 45 sessions
The agriculturist appears confident that her study will show that several crops that were damaged during last year's drought failed to produce sizable yields this year.

A.several crops that were damaged during last year's drought failed
B.several crops that were damaged during last year's drought fail
C.several crops that were damaged during last year's drought have failed
D.several crops that had been damaged during last year's drought fail
E.several crops that had been damaged during last year's drought failed

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
E

Last edited by hideyoshi on 10 Aug 2010, 14:29, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 09:14
cricinfo1 wrote:
i think B

why B ? ....isnt that present tense and it seems that the author is talking about crops which have already failed ...they are not failing rite now ..they hav failed ....

i think it should be A
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 09:17
neo bhai you make a lot of sense :)
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 10:58
A.

||sm b/w tenses.

The agriculturist appears confident that her study will show that several crops that were damaged during last year's drought failed to produce sizable yields this year.

Rest are not || wrt to tenses.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 05:57
it is between A and E.

I pick (E).

what is the OA?
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 335

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 06:42
2 events

1)crops damaged during last year
2) failed to produce sizable yields this year.

the first event in past perfect second in simple past

so E
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 02:31
[quote="hideyoshi"]The agriculturist appears confident that her study will show that several crops that were damaged during last year's drought failed to produce sizable yields this year.

A.several crops that were damaged during last year's drought failed cann`t use the past simple here
C.several crops that were damaged during last year's drought have failed correct - we`re intending to show the result - so present perfect here is correct
D.several crops that had been damaged during last year's drought fail no need to underline two events in the past
E.several crops that had been damaged during last year's drought failed no need to underline two events in the past
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 02:32
I doubt we will get the OA because the I haven`t found this question on the Internet
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 06:18
Agree with C.

We need "have failed" as the time period of the study is of a recent crop failure. Recent past=present perfect (see Kaplan)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2010, 14:48
IMHO (C)

..damaged...have failed.... is correct
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 09:03
RaviChandra wrote:
2 events

1)crops damaged during last year
2) failed to produce sizable yields this year.

the first event in past perfect second in simple past

so E

+1 for E for the same reasons. OA pls.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 09:16
TommyWallach, give us the correct explanation :)
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 332

Kudos [?]: 716 [0], given: 11

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 10:35
Hey All,

I was asked by private message to answer this one. What fun! I should add that I don't think this difference is realistic. It's more subtle than any other question I've seen, and I think you could make a case for both C and E (though I prefer E).

PROBLEM: The damage happened before the failure, so we need two different tenses.

PROBLEM: We should notice the verb tense split right away, and this present tense verb doesn't work. The main verb of the sentence is "appears", which is present. But the crops failed BEFORE the agriculturist appeared confident, so we need a tense that involves the past.

ANSWER: The present perfect tense confuses things here. The damaging happened before the failure, but the present perfect tense implies that the action continues into the present. There's no real reason why this action needs to continue in the present. A lot of people have cited Kaplan (recent past = present perfect), but you have to understand that this isn't a recent past. The use of the future tense "will show" implies that by the time the report has been written, the failure of the crops will be DONE (i.e. not the recent past). It's that use of the future that makes this highly confusing.

PROBLEM: You can only use the past perfect (had been damaged) when you already have a past tense verb in the sentence. We don't here.

PROBLEM: Perfect. Two past tense actions, one happening before the last, and both of them happening before the present tense "appears" action.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 04:40
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I was asked by private message to answer this one. What fun! I should add that I don't think this difference is realistic. It's more subtle than any other question I've seen, and I think you could make a case for both C and E (though I prefer E).

PROBLEM: The damage happened before the failure, so we need two different tenses.

PROBLEM: We should notice the verb tense split right away, and this present tense verb doesn't work. The main verb of the sentence is "appears", which is present. But the crops failed BEFORE the agriculturist appeared confident, so we need a tense that involves the past.

ANSWER: The present perfect tense confuses things here. The damaging happened before the failure, but the present perfect tense implies that the action continues into the present. There's no real reason why this action needs to continue in the present. A lot of people have cited Kaplan (recent past = present perfect), but you have to understand that this isn't a recent past. The use of the future tense "will show" implies that by the time the report has been written, the failure of the crops will be DONE (i.e. not the recent past). It's that use of the future that makes this highly confusing.

PROBLEM: You can only use the past perfect (had been damaged) when you already have a past tense verb in the sentence. We don't here.

PROBLEM: Perfect. Two past tense actions, one happening before the last, and both of them happening before the present tense "appears" action.

Hope that helps!

-t

Sir I have a question here. According to MGMAT we also use Present Perfect in case the effect of the action continues into the present. eg "I have marked my name on the river bank of Ganges." So will the meaning be more logical if we select C which shows that the effect was a failure and its still a failure ' in the present year'.

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 05:46
tommy;
do we need perfect tense here. the perfect tense is ONLY used when the series of events are not clear. as mentioned in the question, the crops were damaged LAST year and the yields failed THIS year.so A can not be rejected on that basis. but between 'were' and 'had been', had been is better because of the usage of the word 'during'. so the past perfect progressive is required. choice E wins

for choice A, if the sentence had been like it is below(during replaced by in), then by ur explaination, choice A would have still been wrong (As u said sequence of events), but in reality would have been correct.

The agriculturist appears confident that her study will show that several crops that were damaged in last year's drought failed to produce sizable yields this year.

please comment

Kudos [?]: 716 [0], given: 11

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 13:00
Hey Yogesh and rosha,

I just realized how confusing my own response was. I meant to write ANSWER next to E (the one where I wrote "perfect!"), even though I write it next to C instead. If it wasn't clear, I believe E is the answer.

As I've said, this is a very odd and complex question. I would argue that BECAUSE of the use of the future tense "will show", the action of the verb will not still be continuing in that hypothetical present in which she's giving her report. BY THE TIME that report is given, it will simply show that crops that HAD suffered from drought FAILED to produce good yields. The use of the "this year", which often signals present perfect (because it implies something continuing in the present) is thus negated by that odd future tense.

That's my take on things, but it's a highly complex question. Do we have the OA?

-tommy

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 10:30
Bewteen A and C

"Several crops that were damaged". Simple past is correct because the sentence tells us when it happened. During last's year drought. Eliminate D and E. C incorrect because there is no need for present perfect, the action does not continue into the present. It either happened in the past or will happen in the future. So, A looks fine.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 716 [1] , given: 11

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 15:45
This post received
KUDOS
Everyone,

This does not appear to be a real question. Feel free to PM the person who posted it to ask where they got it. For that reason, I think we should stop discussing it, because I believe there are multiple defensible answer choices. This is not a realistic question, and doesn't have much to teach us.

-t

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 00:12
Tommy
I picked E and then at the last moment changed by answer to C. The reason is that when I compare C with A - we are talking about current situation - "appears" and "produce" are both simple present.

E - we not only use past perfect to sequence the events. But we use past perfect when both events are related and happen deep in the past. So there is a latency between second event and present and study or belief may not be still valid.

C - Puts the second event in perspective and makes it current - "several crops have failed to produce sizable yields this year". This is parallel with present tense "appears" she appears confident and her belief is valid in the present.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Hope that helps!

-t

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Last year's drought [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 03:11
@ yogesh- you have a brilliant doubt.But you know what the fact that we have a future tense in the sentence the failure has to happen before that and that is why we cannot use present perfect.
Re: Last year's drought   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2010, 03:11