Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 17:02 It is currently 07 May 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: MBA
Schools:LBS, LBS, LBS
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
Kudos
In a nutshell you can choose 3 schools (in order of preference). 30% weighing to first term grades and 70% weighing on a 500 word essay. Selection is purely at LBS discretion. I will find out which of my 3 picks I get by 26th of March. After stating my preferences, I have committed to go to the one I get selected for. If I turn it down then I am not allowed to go on exchange any more.

There are 2 rounds to this process. I applied in first round because I really wanted the exchange. I have never studied or lived in the US and am very excited about the opportunity. Although bear in mind that the exchange is a risk. It costs 4 electives (out of 11). It occurs at either Autumn or Spring terms - which may be peak full time recruitment period.

People want different things from the exchange. AGSM is popular with many Americans because Australia is an exotic travel destination and you get to escape a cold winter for beautiful summer. Many folks choose China or Hong Kong for career reasons. Some people go to the European schools (IESE and HEC are quite popular).

DoctorManhattan wrote:
bsd_lover,

Hope you're well?

Can you talk about, to the extent that you know, the process for granting Exchange programme approval? Are decisions at the sole discretion of London Business School? The sole discretion of the Exchange School? Joint discretion between London Business School and the Exchange School?

You also alluded to applications essays for Exchange programme applications; are there other components of the Exchange application process? Is one limited to the number of Exchange programmes to which one can apply? Any insight you can provide would be appreciated!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
You will NOT have an option to go over one page. They will get reviewed by career services midway through autumn term (before they go in the CV book) and if it is too long, you will be told to shorten it. Furthermore I'll say that it will look really BAD if it is over one page. It shows lack of clarity and succinctness. CV is not just a simple listing of all your accomplishments; it is also a story board of what makes you a strong candidate for a particular role. You will end up tailoring your CVs for different roles. You should be able to achieve this in one page. I have 9 years of work experience in 5 different industries. I have had to cut out accomplishments that I have been proud of - but are totally irrelevant.

We have a web based system for creating CVs where you type out roles one by one and the system generates a pdf document. While I am not a big fan of this, it ensures consistency of CVs for everyone at the school.

DoctorManhattan wrote:
I'm going to ask my contacts, current students at various MBA programmes, what their respective Career Services offices recommend with respect to CV length.

I recall that throughout my university years, and early days in my career, the one-page CV was stressed continuously as recruiters and career advisers remarked that there couldn't possibly be sufficient accomplishment at those levels to justify a CV that exceeded one page. As one transitions from such stages, I'm, somewhat, of the opinion that continued adherence to a single page CV (based on the positions of the many recruiters and career advisers I've met in the last five years), is an implicit admission of a lack of significant accomplishment.

Further thoughts are appreciated. In the meantime, I'll get started on my unscientific survey!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
Join the rugby club, the ultimate frisbee, the football club or the running club. Regent's park is just behind the school for running. The library (Taunton centre), hosts a gym and a pool. Although small, these facilities are sufficient, accessible and free. Whether you are able to use them will depend on your time management and discipline, although I must warn you that it will be incredibly tough in the first term.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
A few folks in the running club are training to run paris marathon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
JoeMahmah wrote:
Boeinz and snowintx, half marathon here we come! I love this positive attitude we have of not accepting the possibility of not being accepted! :)

Posted from my mobile device

great stuff!

getting anxious....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all,

I just spent a couple hours browsing this thread, and found it very helpful.

Thinking of applying for R4, even though its a long shot, because the timing in my life would just be too perfect if I somehow got in. My experience is a little less than most, but also a little different, so I thought I would put it out there see if you have any advice

M/25/750/GPA3.5 Top Canadian School/Mechanical Engineer/Canadian

Spent first 2.5 years out of school working for an Environmental Contracting company. Designed a couple Water Treatment Plants, eventually got promoted and was the manager of a smaller group (managed 15 people, a few million dollars worth of equipment, my group had yearly revenue of about $5M)

Left my job when an opportunity arose to be a Professional Race Car driver with Factory support from Volkswagen. Have spent the last 12 months, working full time on racing, this includes raising sponsorship money each season (I need to find around 50K in sponsors per season), organizing events for sponsors, attending events on behalf of VW, managing and marketing my "brand" as an athlete, working as coach and instructor for young drivers. Anyway, its been a fabulous experience, I've got to meet some high up execs with VW, learned a lot about Marketing/Sponsorship/The Car Business which was all new to me. Hopefully LBS would view this experience favorably as well.

Unfortunately, the long term career prospects in car racing if you're not an F1 driver aren't very lucrative (and I am already too old at 25 to every be in F1).

Anyway, my deal with Volkswagen ends in August, and I am looking to do a career switcheroo (at this point, my 2.5 years experience as a Mech Engineer told me its not what I want to do, I am way more interested in the Management and Finance side of business). From Calgary, so ideally I would like to pursue a future in the Energy sector, I'm especially interested in Exploration and Exploitation in the Oil Business.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
Kudos
ok i've reached my conclusion; THIS wait is the hardest part of the entire LBS app..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:London Business School (int)
 Q50  V41
WE 1: Research
WE 2: Corporate Strat
Send PM
Kudos
seafm, congratulations on becoming a father / soon-to-be father!

I think bsd_lover, prashok and other current students will give you a better answer but from what I've learnt about the school and students:
1. The average age is higher (~28.5). While there is the inevitable frat partying (I'm not keen on this anymore - I'll be 29 soon), students on the whole seem more mature and focused and there's definitely a proportion of people less intent on drinking the night away.
2. Along with higher average age, I was told by current students that there were a few married students with their spouses (and some with children) - which should then give you a peer group as well. Anecdotes indicate that most people are accommodating to fit study group members' needs into the group schedules.

I know that's not very useful - let's wait for the current students' inputs.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
mf1125a wrote:
can the dings post their profiles please?

Most of us have our profiles filled out on the left for everyone's convenience. You may like to follow suit to help others put your experience into perspective.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Reject for me as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Schools:Booth (Admit R2), LBS (Admit R2), Judge (Admit R3)
Send PM
Kudos
ADMIT.

30/M/GMAT 690/Indonesian/government

Being a long time lurker, I want to thank everyone in this forum for their contributions. GMATclub is definitely the most supportive environment anyone with MBA dream can get.

I wish i had known gmatclub much earlier.

Kudos!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: MBA
Schools:LBS, LBS, LBS
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Ding.
Nice way to greet the day.

Cheers,
Pranay
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
you are def not alone! will be crossing fingers for us all R3 applicants till April 9th!

and congratz to all R2 admits..

bbcxd wrote:
mf1125a wrote:

same here! im getting really anxious now....

Thanx for letting me know I am not alone. Guess we just have to leave it for a while. I am going to bed now. Big cong for all admits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
Kudos
now that the fortunate admits deal with their hangovers and the disheartened dings/WL move to their other plans, i want to thank all the regular contributors to this thread - a great resource and record of our experiences for future applicants.

on a separate note, is there any London business School WL thread? (can't find any) - maybe i should search for "LBS purgatory" or "you're-excellent-but-not-TOOOOO-excellent-for-me" or "i'll-date-you-later-in-case-others-dump-me" threads.

jokes aside, congrats to all and good luck in your mba endeavor
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
Kudos
octopus2010,

I disagree somewhat with the blanket recommendation to apply to U.S. schools for MBA aspirants from the United States looking to return there. I might agree that for certain, not all, roles in finance (where the importance of networking is dramatic!), and perhaps some in Industry as well (though, when it comes to Industry, I'm merely repeating what I've been told) U.S. schools might hold an advantage over London Business School. Other than this exception, the motivated U.S.-based MBA aspirant may freely attend London Business School and recruit successfully for U.S. jobs.

octopus2010 wrote:
hey jasonjason,

I think someone already mentioned this, but if you are looking to come back to the US, I would recommend applying to a US schools.. otherwise you can't go wrong with LBS!

jasonjason wrote:

5. I intend to come back to Asia, maybe China to work. Possibly consulting or banking, as per most other b-school graduates. In this regard, the Wharton brand is slightly stronger.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks, BSD, I was actually a R1 admit, but no biggie either way.

As for your point about networking, certainly, there's always a better shot for what I guess I'd call "natural" networking in huge financial centers like NY or London, but really every huge company comes to Wharton to recruit, and spends a LOT of time there, so there's tons of networking opportunity. It's also quite common during peak recruiting time, after first round interviews, for us to hop on the Acela express trains to NYC to network with companies, etc, at the company's expense. And of course, most Wharton folks do their internships in NYC. The difference is that virtually no Wharton grads stay in Philly post-graduation. I, for one, am quite excited to get to network in a major city like London without the commuting!

As for finding a job in the US post-b-school, I was never really worried about it, as it relates to LBS. I'd like to return to the US long-term (though probably not right after b-school). I work for one of the big banks, and everyone I spoke to here seems to think I'll have no problem coming back to the States after I get some international experience. Although I am a US citizen, so not sure how difficult it would be if you're not a US resident.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't NYC LBS's second biggest alum hub after London?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
bombaygirl wrote:
Another Round 3 applicant. Makes 9! Waiting anxiously!! I am very excited to see so many female applicants!!

F/740/Indian/WE-Real Estate Finance in US

so far it is...
mf1125a
octopus2010
bombaygirl
carol
kaushikb
oxmat
mbasearching
bbcxd
ramanathanblue
GMAT Club Bot