Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The professionalization of the study of history in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 99 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
The professionalization of the study of history in the [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 19:58
This post received
KUDOS
The professionalization of the study of history in the second half of the nineteenth century, including history's transformation from a literary genre to a scientific discipline, had important consequences not only for historians' perceptions of women but also for women as historians. The disappearance of women as objects of historical studies during this period has elements of irony to it. On the one hand, in writing about women, earlier historians had relied not on firsthand sources but rather on secondary sources; the shift to more rigorous research methods required that secondary sources be disregarded. On the other hand, the development of archival research and the critical editing of collections of documents began to reveal significant new historical evidence concerning women, yet this evidence was perceived as substantially irrelevant: historians saw political history as the general framework for historical writing. Because women were seen as belonging to the private rather than to the public sphere, the discovery of documents about them, or by them, did not, by itself, produce history acknowledging the contributions of women. In addition, genres such as biography and memoir, those forms of "particular history" that women had traditionally authored, fell into disrepute. The dividing line between "particular history" and general history was redefined in stronger terms, widening the gulf between amateur and professional practices of historical research.
The passage is primarily concerned with
(A) describing some effects of the professionalization of the study of history on the writing of women's history
(B) explaining some reasons for the professionalization of the writing of history
(C) discussing the kinds of historical writing traditionally practiced by women
(D) contrasting the approach to the writing of history taken by women with the approach taken by men
(E) criticizing certain changes that occurred in the writing of history during the second half of the nineteenth century
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Which of the following best describes one of the "elements of irony" referred to in the highlighted text?
(A) Although the more scientific-minded historians of the second half of the nineteenth century considered women appropriate subjects for historical writing, earlier historians did not.
(B) Although archival research uncovered documentary evidence of women's role in history, historians continued to rely on secondary sources for information about women.
(C) Although historians were primarily concerned with writing about the public sphere, they generally relegated women to the private sphere.
(D) The scientific approach to history revealed more information about women, but that information was ignored.
(E) The professionalization of history, while marginalizing much of women's writing about history, enhanced the importance of women as historical subjects.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

According to the passage, the development of archival research and the critical editing of collections of documents had which of the following effects?
(A) Historians increasingly acknowledged women's contributions to history.
(B) Historians began to debate whether secondary sources could provide reliable information.
(C) Historians began to apply less rigorous scientific research criteria to the study of women's history.
(D) More evidence concerning women became available to historical researchers.
(E) Women began to study history as professional historians.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 99 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: 5/31 RC [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
OA is ADD.

Even though I got all correct, I still don't understand the passage.

Could anybody explain what the passage is trying to say?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: The professionalization of the study of history in the [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 04:02
Basically it says the new history claimed to give more importance to women in history ... it disregards a lot of information on women that was relevant ...

Can you explain why A for 1 ... whats wrong with E?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The professionalization of the study of history in the [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 20:05

(A) describing some effects of the professionalization of the study of history on the writing of women's history
(B) explaining some reasons for the professionalization of the writing of history
(D) contrasting the approach to the writing of history taken by women with the approach taken by men
(E) criticizing certain changes that occurred in the writing of history during the second half of the nineteenth century

Can someone please help on this one.

Thanks,

PLAN >>> EXECUTE >>> MEASURE

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE: Analyst (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 27 [3] , given: 3

Re: The professionalization of the study of history in the [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
I hope this helps.

The topic sentence/ main idea of this passage is on the first line of the passage.
"The professionalization of the study of history in the second half of the nineteenth century, including history's transformation from a literary genre to a scientific discipline, had important consequences not only for historians' perceptions of women but also for women as historians." So, only choice (A) matches the purpose of this passage.

Here are some tips when you are doing RC section. Read the passage within two minutes scope and try to identify the topic sentence/ purpose of each passage and body paragraph. By asking yourself these questions, you will read the passage more actively and increase the chance of answering questions correctly. ^ ^

Don't be afraid to fail, but be afraid not to try

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1251

CAT Tests
Re: The professionalization of the study of history in the [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 19:04
Explanation for elements of irony question:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ed-dating/
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: The professionalization of the study of history in the [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 17:28
Can any one help me with this :
How can you relate the second sentence to the first one ?
1- The professionalization of the study of history in the second half of the nineteenth century, including history's transformation from a literary genre to a scientific discipline, had important consequences not only for historians' perceptions of women but also for women as historians.
2- The disappearance of women as objects of historical studies during this period has elements of irony to it.

when i was reading , i realized that the first sentence was talking about the affect of The professionalization on historians' perceptions of women and women as historians. then suddenly the passage started talking about the disappearance of women as an object . ….. this really confused me. i couldn't concentrate on the passage after that.

i have this problem also with some other passages. any advice about how can i fix this problem in future readings ?
thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The professionalization of the study of history in the [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2014, 04:54
akhu wrote:

(E) criticizing certain changes that occurred in the writing of historyduring the second half of the nineteenth century

Can someone please help on this one.

Thanks,

Furthermore I think the passage is not about writing of history but the study of history. I admit that there is a thin line of difference but it is this thin line which makes the difference in GMAT
Re: The professionalization of the study of history in the   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2014, 04:54