Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 58

Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
icandy wrote:
Ans choice E has a subtle nuance.

Patients feel fully recovered after 3 days with either drug. That is different from patients stopping taking the drug after 3 days. In essence E explains why they are stopping the drug after 3 days. They feel full recovered where as the course is 7 day. In the case of new drug, they not only feel fully recovered, but also the course is only 3 day.

Makes sense?

It makes sense now. The most confusing part for me was "after taking the DRUG". I was unsure which drug the passage was referring to but I guess it is referring to both. Is this correct?

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 00:28
Undoubtedly E
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 7

Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 08:10
This post received
KUDOS
Great discussion here. Quick note:

As future MBA students, GMAT test takers tend to be too focused on costs. I can think of at least a few CR problems off the top of my head in which something related to "cost" is a trap answer. If you're going to choose an answer that relates to cost, I would really encourage you to spend a few extra seconds asking yourself whether the cost of the program or project really has anything to do with the argument itself.

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 04:57
Ans is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 08:04
E+1

Gonna make it this time

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 19:28
This post received
KUDOS
No matter how much practise you do for CR , there will always a Point in favour or in against close options...

After so much of reasoning defintly i will be 'E' ...

But guys, how many ppl will get it right in given time constraint of 1 minute in the actual exam...

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 07:29
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.25

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 05:17
Hello everyone,
picking up this old thread thanks to my daily delivery of GMAT delights in my emails

It's hard to undersand how E really strenghtens the argument.
Here is my explanation.

As said before, the argument is: patients taking old drug often stop treatment after 3 days, which leads to more reinfection cases; new drug is effective in 3 days, so reinfection should occur less often.

Choice E gives an explanation for the first part: patients stop after some time (3 days) because they feel better, even though the treatment is not over.
The same thing could happen with new drug: active in 3 days, fine, but what if you feel better after a couple of days? Well, choice E addresses this concern, hence reinforces the argument.

Hope that's clear and helpful.

But I'll add that in less than 2 minutes, you should tackle the question differently: all the "out of scope" answer choices can be eliminated quickly. The argument is about reinfection/time for the drug to be effective/time patients take drug (~patients behaviour - inferred related to psychology).

E is the only choice that has all that, so it's enough to pick your choice without drilling too much into logic

my 2 Euros (not worth much these days)

cheers to all and keep it up!

Le Patron is the Boss

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 06:32
E

The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a seven-day course of antibiotics, either penicillin or erythromycin. However, since many patients stop taking those drugs within three days, reinfection is common in cases where those drugs are prescribed. A new antibiotic requires only a three-day course of treatment. Therefore, reinfection will probably be less common in cases where the new antibiotic is prescribed than in cases where either penicillin or erythromycin is prescribed.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Some of the people who are allergic to penicillin are likely to be allergic to the new antibiotic.
Weakens the argument
(B) A course of treatment with the new antibiotic costs about the same as a course of treatment with either penicillin or erythromycin.
Out of scope - cost not mentioned in the argument
(C) The new antibiotic has been shown to be effective in eradicating bacterial infections other than strep.
Out of scope - other bacterial infections not referred to in the argument
(D) Some physicians have already begun to prescribe the new antibiotic instead of penicillin or erythromycin for the treatment of some strep infections.
Neutral. Some can equal 0 or 1 or greater.
(E) Regardless of whether they take a traditional antibiotic or the new one, most patients feel fully recovered after taking the drug for three days.
Correct Answer. As most patients feel fully recovered after 3 days, they are more likely to stop continuing the course. having finished 3 days on the new course lowers the probability of reinfection more-so than penicillin or erythromycin.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: CR-need help [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 20:38
E
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 23:34
the answer to the question is E as E clearly strengthens the argument

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 00:18
E is good :)

Sky is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 22:17
E makes the most sense. Cost factor in B is just a trap.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 16:35
E it is

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 01:46
this is my first CR attempt. and i got it wrong badly, thinking E is weakening the argument. gosh....
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 20:39
The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a seven-day course of antibiotics, either penicillin or erythromycin. However, since many patients stop taking those drugs within three days, reinfection is common in cases where those drugs are prescribed. A new antibiotic requires only a three-day course of treatment. Therefore, reinfection will probably be less common in cases where the new antibiotic is prescribed than in cases where either penicillin or erythromycin is prescribed.

(A) Some of the people who are allergic to penicillin are likely to be allergic to the new antibiotic.
If so, people are equally unlikely to take both. Irrelevant.
(B) A course of treatment with the new antibiotic costs about the same as a course of treatment with either penicillin or erythromycin. Cost is out of scope.
(C) The new antibiotic has been shown to be effective in eradicating bacterial infections other than strep. Talks about other infections. not interested in them.
(D) Some physicians have already begun to prescribe the new antibiotic instead of penicillin or erythromycin for the treatment of some strep infections. This does not show that the new drug is better at not causing re-infection.
(E) Regardless of whether they take a traditional antibiotic or the new one, most patients feel fully recovered after taking the drug for three days. Correct. If the patient feels fully recovered, he will not take the drug anymore. By the end of these three days, however, the prescription of new drug will be completed. Hence, lesser chance of re-infection.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 04:21
IMO E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 16:23
Agree with E
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 07:33
spriya wrote:

(B) A course of treatment with the new antibiotic costs about the same as a course of treatment with either penicillin or erythromycin.
(C) The new antibiotic has been shown to be effective in eradicating bacterial infections other than strep.
(D) Some physicians have already begun to prescribe the new antibiotic instead of penicillin or erythromycin for the treatment of some strep infections.
(E) Regardless of whether they take a traditional antibiotic or the new one, most patients feel fully recovered after taking the drug for three days.

conclusion : reinfection would be less common in case of new antibiotic than either penicillin or erythromycin.

thus as per conclusion, our scope is limited to cases related to reinfection or relative effectiveness of two medications rather than about their relative cost, other infection or allergy. hence A,B, C could be crossed out.

D could be taken out even if some physician prescribe drug, people could still stop it taking after 1, 2 or 3 days, hence drug effectiveness is not directly dependent on physician

[color=#FF0000]E could not find any solid evidence to mark out E , so ultimately after POE I am left with E.

My only concern with E is people stop taking penicillin within 3 days, so this options definitely provide evidence that penicillin would not be effective and reinfection would occur, but how does this option provide justification tht chances of reinfection would be less for newer medicine [/color]
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 23

Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 06:30
This is a good example of a question with good intent, but with a poor outcome. Answer choice E does nothing for the argument and those on here who have argued for it are making a common flaw in interpreting it.

There is a big difference between something because an outcome and that something being the only outcome. In this case, answer E says "most patients feel fully recovered after taking the drug for three days." This answer says nothing about when the patient first starts feeling better under the new drug, only that, at the three day mark, the patient feels better. The patient easily could have started feeling better during day 1 or day 2. Therefore, everyone has incorrectly interpreted this to fix the issue that patients might start feeling better before the dosage of the new drug is complete and stop taking it.

For example:

Quote:
With the new medicine too they would start feeling better only after 3 days; but by that time the new medicine would have done its job and hence no re-infection. (emphasis added)

However, the word "only" appears nowhere in the actual answer choice.

The obvious intention of the author was to have E eliminate the possibility that people stop using the new drug because they feel better before they finish treatment. E should therefore instead say:

(E) Regardless of whether they take a traditional antibiotic or the new one, most patients DO NOT feel fully recovered afterUNTIL taking the drug for three days.

Fortunately, we do not see this as a trap answer too much on actual GMAT questions. However, if you were to work some LSAT CR questions, you would see this come up a lot, especially in assumption, inference, and flaw questions.

Side note: B seems like the best alternative because it seems to eliminate a potential barrier. Whenever consumer choice is involved, cost is definitely relevant. In this case, B seems to eliminate the problem that the new drug is more expensive so people won't choose it. However, it has no effect because the conclusion limits the scope to "in cases where the new antibiotic is prescribed." Therefore, there is no consumer choice here, which, in this case, makes B irrelevant.
Re: The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2012, 06:30