Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Dec 2014, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 62 [3] , given: 87

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:19) correct 50% (01:14) wrong based on 603 sessions
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

a) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
b) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
c) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
d) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
e) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 4

Re: Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
siddhans wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: My doubt
Why is the usage of both wrong in A,C,E?
I know the correct idiom is Both A and B or Both in A and in B ...

In B we have =>both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith (A) and Duke Ellington (B)
---- isnt Both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Both in the stride-piano tradition of Duke Ellington understood here ???

both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith (A) and Duke Ellington (B) --- do we need to type both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and both in the stride-piano tradition of Duke Ellington .... isnt that understood?

Also, why is the usage of 'who' wrong in C?

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

a) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
b) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
c) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
d) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
e) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

The usage of "who" in choice C is wrong.

Take a run at this simplified example...

Tiger Woods, who is a famous golfer, endorses Nike, but he wears Reebok. [Correct]

Tiger Woods, who is a famous golfer that endorses Nike, but he wears Reebok. [Incorrect]

Why? --- The noun Tiger Woods does not have an accompanying verb. It is incomplete.

Choice C can be corrected as follows:

Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, was a traditional jazz pianist and composer, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

As you can see -- [Noun], [WHO]......., [Verb] + Modifier, [Coordinating Conjunction] + [Independent Clause]
[Monk], [WHO]......., [was] + traditional jazz.. , [YET] [He stood apart from the...]
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [2] , given: 39

Re: Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

The idiom both..and is deceptively used here. All options except C and D use the word both incorrectly here. C is a fragment, not a complete sentence. Hence the right answer is D.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 339

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 14:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
9 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 156

Kudos [?]: 1516 [9] , given: 122

Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
siddhans wrote:

Because we use idiom "both X and Y" too often, so when we see the idiom we will pick options having this idiom intuitively. GMAT, however, prefers standard idioms. In this question,
"both X and Y" must be used precisely, otherwise it's going wrong.

Note: Both X and Y <== X and Y MUST be parallel in meaning and grammar.
OG questions seem to be easy, but they have more sophisticated traps than we thought.

Wrong. Parallelism problem: both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington,
- "rooted" is verb, "Duke Ellington" is noun <-- cannot parallel.

Wrong. Parallelism problem: rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington,
- The stride-piano tradition AND Duke Ellington are not parallel.

Wrong. Modifier problem. The clause "who....." has a comma before it. Technically, the clause is NON-essential. It means we can omit the clause without any meaning change. But that's wrong. The clause is ESSENTIAL. We can't omit it.

Correct. parallelism: rooted in the stride-piano tradition of X and Y.

Wrong. Parallelism problem: rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington,
- The stride-piano tradition AND Duke Ellington are not parallel.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1987

Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 21:08
Can someone explain to me why the appositive "Jazz pianist and composer" in D is correct without a comma after it? Is it even an appositive? I quickly eliminated C-E because of this issue, but I realized in the end that D was the best answer.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-18-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 03:31
TooLong150 wrote:
Can someone explain to me why the appositive "Jazz pianist and composer" in D is correct without a comma after it? Is it even an appositive? I quickly eliminated C-E because of this issue, but I realized in the end that D was the best answer.

I guess The Chairperson and CEO Mr.X and Mr.X, the chairperson and CEO are the correct usage. The former doesn't require a comma while the latter does.

Cheers,
BG

Hit 'Kudos' if you find my post helpful

OG 13 Verbal Directory: official-guide-verbal-question-directory-og-13-and-og-161949.html#p1121171
Question Of the Day: http://gmatclub.com/blog/category/blog/ ... s/?fl=menu
Extreme Collection of 2000 PS & DS: 1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html?fl=similar
CR Tips & Approach to arrive at Best Answer: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached. I won't stop till I hit 700+

Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 03:31