Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This is a CR from OG, so all those avoiding OG questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

This is a CR from OG, so all those avoiding OG questions [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 07:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:18) wrong based on 4 sessions
This is a CR from OG, so all those avoiding OG questions before taking Powerprep may skip this one.

I got the correct answer but I'm dubious about the explanation.

----------------

Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient roman medical treatise , is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first eighty pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining twenty pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148?

a) Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists
b) According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for ten months.
c) A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day.
d) there was only on outbreak of plague in florence in the 1100s
e) The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 07:59
I will pick D on this.

I think the argument says that the script seems to be from 1148 or so because there is no trace of any other activity afterwords in the script. So, it is possible that whoever worked on it earlier, died of plague.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 08:11
agree with D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 12:07
D is my answer also.

Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 15:42
IMO D is not correct because, there need not be only one out break in 1100, what if there was one later and the book was done by then...

I will go with E, because that way the fourth copyist was the last one to write the book and probably wrote it in 1148....

I am not very convinced with any answer, OE please

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 18:19
D is the best. if there was only on outbreak of plague in florence in the 1100s and this event was mentioned in the letter by forth copyist, then codex Berinensis was produced in 1148.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2005, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
The fact that there was one outbreak of the plaque still doesn't mean it was produced in that year though.

There were two world wars in the last century. The fact I wrote about them doesn't mean I completed the work in 1945
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 16:36
Is there such a beast as a purely Process of Elimination CR question? I also chose D, but I couldn't figure out the reasoning for life of me.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 17

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 17:06
This post received
KUDOS
I think its D because if there were other plagues, other than the one in 1148, known to have affected Florentine then the manuscript could have been written around those times as well, and thus would not support the argument that the thing was written in 1148.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 18:36
d
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 19:03
AJB77 wrote:
This is a CR from OG, so all those avoiding OG questions before taking Powerprep may skip this one.

I got the correct answer but I'm dubious about the explanation.

----------------

Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient roman medical treatise , is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first eighty pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining twenty pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148?

a) Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists -> this is irrelevant ,out of scope
b) According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for ten months. -> this hardly matters !!! its the incidence of plague not duration which should support the concl
c) A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day. -> this weakens
d) there was only on outbreak of plague in florence in the 1100s -> correct if only one occurance then for sure the report is produced in that year CORRECT acc to me OA PLSSSS
e) The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist -> this is just the trend discussed does not contribute to the given concl

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 19:45
OA is D.

@Shar

Thanks. Does the passage mean that the fourth copyist specifically mentions the year 1148? Or does it mean that the copyist mentions a horrible plague in florence that could only mean the one that occured in 1148 (because that is only time in the century when a plague occured there)?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [2] , given: 17

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 20:11
This post received
KUDOS
tamg08 wrote:
OA is D.

@Shar

Thanks. Does the passage mean that the fourth copyist specifically mentions the year 1148? Or does it mean that the copyist mentions a horrible plague in florence that could only mean the one that occured in 1148 (because that is only time in the century when a plague occured there)?

According to the passage, a letter mentioning a horrible plague, with the same handwriting as the 4th copyist's, was found so they're assuming that the manuscript itself was written around that time as well. Neither the letter nor the manuscript mentions any dates (if it were the case, there would be no question that the manuscript was indeed created in 1148). Historically, however, Florence is known to have been ravaged by the plague in 1148, so that's what the researchers are basing their assumption on.

Hope this clarifies.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Intern
Intern

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 06:27
According to the passage, a letter mentioning a horrible plague, with the same handwriting as the 4th copyist's, was found so they're assuming that the manuscript itself was written around that time as well. Neither the letter nor the manuscript mentions any dates (if it were the case, there would be no question that the manuscript was indeed created in 1148). Historically, however, Florence is known to have been ravaged by the plague in 1148, so that's what the researchers are basing their assumption on.

Hope this clarifies.[/quote]

Yes, I get it. Thanks! +1
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 11:29
Horrible and a meaningless question-that's why it is difficult as well!
If the 1st author of the treatise was alive then he would have solely written the manuscript. The fact that 4 of them were involved means that the first 3 may have been afflicted with the disease and died. Since the disease (plague) happened only once in Florence and took several lives, in 1948, the treatise must have been written in 1948. This is what, I think, the author is basing the answer on.
My ans. would be D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 13:14
jamesrwrightiii wrote:
The fact that there was one outbreak of the plaque still doesn't mean it was produced in that year though.

There were two world wars in the last century. The fact I wrote about them doesn't mean I completed the work in 1945

I agree with this quote, this question is very vague and only way you can work it out is POE

THe right answer (D) does not make any sense at all

Its just that other answers does not make ever more sense than the 'right' answer

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 05:25
I answered D, but only because I eliminated the four other answers.

The question is official material, but excuse my words - it sucks.

I get the idea that stenghten answer choices shouldn't be absolutely necessary to "prove" the conclusion, but the fact that there wasn't a plague 50 years before or after 1148 doesn't really provide the support we would feel is appropriate when such argument is made.

In order for us to consider the reasoning, we must assume a chain of things:
The copy was made within 1 year, because it is claimed it was probably made in 1148 => the fourth copyist "started to exist" once he started his work , because we have to exclude the possibility that he reported the plague in handwriting years before he started copying => a plague is the only cause of the disruption and the various copyists, not some other event => it is the plague in 1148 and not another plague

We have to assume so much and the correct answer choice confirms only the end of the chain " it is the pague in 1148 and not another plague".

What a question!
Re: OG CR - Codex Berinensis   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2011, 05:25