Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2003, 11:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:39) correct 49% (02:09) wrong based on 82 sessions
Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal right to see their medical records. As a doctor, I see two reasons for this. First, giving them access will be time-wasting because it will significantly reduce the amount of time that medical staff can spend on more important duties, by forcing them to retrieve and return files. Second, if my experience is anything to go by, no patients are going to ask for access to their records anyway.

Which one of the following, if true, establishes that the doctor's second reason does not cancel out the first?

(A) The new law will require that doctors, when seeing a patient in their office, must be ready to produce the patient's records immediately, not just ready to retrieve them.
(B) The task of retrieving and returning files would fall to the lowest-paid member of a doctor's office staff.
(C) Any patients who asked to see their medical records would also insist on having details they did not understand explained to them.
(D) The new law does not rule out that doctors may charge patients for extra expenses incurred specifically in order to comply with the new law.
(E) Some doctors have all allowing their patients access to their medical records, but those doctors' patients took no advantage of this policy.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 17 Jun 2013, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: CR - Medical Records [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2003, 11:40
asandeep wrote:
Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal right to see their medical records. As a doctor, I see two reasons for this. First, giving them access will be time-wasting because it will significantly reduce the amount of time that medical staff can spend on more important duties, by forcing them to retrieve and return files. Second, if my experience is anything to go by, no patients are going to ask for access to their records anyway.┬б┬▒

Which one of the following, if true, establishes that the doctor┬б┬пs second reason does not cancel out the first?

(A) The new law will require that doctors, when seeing a patient in their office, must be ready to produce the patient┬б┬пs records immediately, not just ready to retrieve them.

(B) The task of retrieving and returning files would fall to the lowest-paid member of a doctor┬б┬пs office staff.

(C) Any patients who asked to see their medical records would also insist on having details they did not understand explained to them.

(D) The new law does not rule out that doctors may charge patients for extra expenses incurred specifically in order to comply with the new law.

(E) Some doctors have all allowing their patients access to their medical records, but those doctors┬б┬п patients took no advantage of this policy.

A is best.

The doctor should be ready..whether or not the patients want access.

so the staff has to retrieve it anyway.

hope this makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2003, 12:33
:yes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 22:14
what does 'cancel out' mean here ?
I think 'Cancel out' is not formal enough to be used here
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 335

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 02:55
Some one please help :)
I am not sure what to make of this question

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief | ISB Preparation Kit
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1154 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 03:06
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Some one please help :)
I am not sure what to make of this question

Hi ankurgupta03 ,

the passage states two reasons:
1) Giving them access will be time-wasting.
2) No patients are going to ask for access to their records anyway.

The second one seems to exclude the other, and we are asked to find a case in which BOTH are valid, hence the second does not cancel out the first.

A simple case is the one in which for every visit a doctor makes, he has to be ready to give access to the documents, regardless of whether the patient asked for them.
In this particular case, both reasons are valid so the second does not cancel the first.

A is the correct answer.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2013, 03:28
totally blown away. i could not get me head around this question!

EXPERTS!

can someone explain what is wrong with C and D
Re: Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2013, 03:28