Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [16]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [2]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Re: 11th Hour App Advice - things to consider before submitting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kingfalcon wrote:
Great stuff, Paul!

Thanks King Falcon! I posted one just for you ....
Send PM
Expert Reply
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
I am compiling a list of best tips and practices, so you don't get caught with your pants down - 1 hour before submitting. I always tell my clients, do not wait a few days before the deadline to begin completing your online app, because you just may have an oh-**** type moment.

This is a dynamic list. So feel free to post any quick and relevant tips, and I will consider adding.
One more thing - if you like this list and want me to keep adding more, please give this post "kudos" by hitting the, um, kudos button.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

1. Most applications on the applyyourself.com domain won't take scanned transcripts bigger than 700kb. You can shrink your transcripts (online) here - https://goo.gl/8EQeC
2 . Schools like Columbia host their own applications (ie. not through applyyouself.com) - I wouldn't push the limits of good judgment when submitting close to the deadline. Try to submit a few hours before the deadline or risk having the server slow way down.
3 . You can't cut and paste short answers onto the online app fields when using Google Chrome. You have to use Firefox. No one uses Internet Explorer .... joking, but I have not tested cut/paste with Explorer.
4. Most schools include short essays on their app. Tuck has their international experience essays (250 words), Yale has a professional statement, HBS does ask you for your goals and Darden does a good job of hitting you up with an elevator pitch essay.
5. Also know that all schools have a short answers on their app that will ask you for employment history, significant awards, extracurriculars. Do not simply cut and paste from your resume - try to make your answers complete sentences.
6. Short answers on the app will most likely have character limits, not word limits. There is a difference. Also note - that characters includes spaces.
7. In general, don't mail it in on your online app answers - the "data sheet" is the first thing the admissions committee will see. Do not get off on the wrong foot by being sloppy or incomplete. Grammar counts.
8. Some schools ask you what other schools you are applying to - this has a purpose. It's like being on a date and getting asked how many other people you are seeing.
9. Columbia asks you what "current students" you have spoken to - they want names. Other schools simply ask you what student or alums you have talked to.
10. Don't put down that you have attended an event if you have not. They do try and keep track - and they will check.
11. Resumes should be traditional - no color, pictures, weird fonts. The resume is supposed to be a sales document - so it has to be aesthically pleasing. Think like this - would a recruiter hire me for a consulting job if they saw my rainbow colored, alphabet soup looking resume?
12. Columbia asks for a picture - use a picture that is professional, not gangsta or gangnam. So don't fake bake, pucker your lips or wear anything with sequins or flair. Chicago wants a slide show - no grainy motorola star-tac quality pics, or pics with your shirt off.
This is good - This is bad -

Looks like I received some kudos for this post ... Lol. So here goes.

13. If you're cutting it close on the word counts or if you are filling up all the short answer boxes on the online form, it is okay to use acronyms. Just don't go crazy using them if the adcom doesn't have a clue as to what they are. Reference this post - question-about-acronyms-140189.html#p1128830
14. Don't be a dbag and submit your recommendation on behalf of your recommender. If he or she is too busy find another recommender or dress up as a clown to get their attention. A good reason is that the writing will probably sound like your style of writing. A better reason is that some schools do record your IP address. It really looks un-kosher to have your app, your rec 1 and rec 2, coming from the same IP. Don't believe me, see linky - https://technolutions.com/slate/advantage. Scroll down to the bottom and read the fraud section - ya, they are talking about you Willis.

2012.10.16 - Looks like Falcon gave me some kudos mclovin'. Here is another tip.
15. Download Ginger Software - https://bit.ly/R7S0YB. It's a free online proofreader as well as a downloadable executable file and chrome extension. It's not 100% fool-proof, but it is good to catch most errors. In fact, I think it's remarkably good at catching most errors. It's an especially useful tool for ESL applicants.
Also, for those of you who need a basic grammar refresher look here - https://bit.ly/S11O8g

This is all for now, I will post more later.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I've always wondered... Are the work email IDs of people working at Yahoo "@yahoo.com" IDs??
GMAT Club Bot