Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 06:43
michigancat wrote:
mehdiov wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archaeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkorn, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.
(B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.
(C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.
(D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.
(E) It is very difficult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

Can some body evaluate the level of such a question?

Many thanks

A good way to handle this question is to think of problems with the argument as you read. My initial thought was "climate change would defeat the argument". Since there was a choice about climate change, and all other choices seemed irrelevant, I went with D.

thnaks,

anay Idea about the level?
Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 06:49
I don't know. I would guess around 650 or so.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 07:00
michigancat wrote:
I don't know. I would guess around 650 or so.

that's all :( how do you evaluate ?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 09:06
D for me too. Is this a gmatprep question?
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 09:23
yes it is.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 09:41
i was leaning towards D since the others don't seem to be correct. but i don't understand how does the little climate change strengthens the argument though?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 01:40
+1 for D

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:27
D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 00:32
I will go with D
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 02:12
D.Somewhat easy.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:11
It's all about the location. D it is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 13:34
[quote="mehdiov"]Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archaeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkorn, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia. Irrelevant

(B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains. Slightly Weakens

(C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated. Irrelevant

(D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture. Bingo!

(E) It is very difficult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.
Weakens

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:05
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if, true, most strengthen the arguerment?

A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkon, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.

B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.

C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.

D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.

E) It is very diffucult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

If you can't explain your answer, we have nothing to learn from you ....

We have two kinds of wheat mentioned in the premises above:
1. wild emmer wheat
2. cultivated emmer wheat
---> Conclusion: wild wheat was cultivated first in the strip (the scope to follow)
(A): irrelevant as the premise is talking about "emmer wheat" not "another wild wheat, einkon"
(B): irrelevant as the fact that wild emmer wheat easily yield like traditionally domestic wheat does not prove anything that wild emmer wheat was first domesticated in the place. (B) might also weaken the argument by saying that this kind of wheat is very easy to cultivated so it can be done in anywhere not only. What if the very strong storm wind the wild wheat seat to further area and was cultivated in the place rather than the strip (just my imagination but hope you can understand my point)
(C) irrelevant as "the most nutrious of all the varieties of grain" wont affect the conclusion above.
(D): might be correct because it related to the unchanged conditions where emmer wheat "since before the development of agriculture." We can assure this answer by negate the answer by saying that "climatic conditions have not changed very little". If so, there's alot of negative effects which can affect the cultivation of the wheat
(E): weaken the argument as it possibly misunderstood emmer wheat with other kinds of wheat --> how we can assure that the emmer wheat was first cultivated there if we even hardly distinguise wheat?? By saying addtiontionally "without genetic testing" also wont work here as it makes irrelevant to support when and where the wheat was domesticated.

I just brief some of my thoughts. Hope it can help and please correct me if i've made mistake somewhere.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4459 [0], given: 162

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:31
Expert's post
MICKEYXITIN wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkon, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.

B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.

C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.

D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.

E) It is very diffucult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

1. wild emmer wheat
---> Conclusion: wild wheat was cultivated first in the strip (the scope to follow)
(A): irrelevant as the premise is talking about "emmer wheat" not "another wild wheat, einkon"
(B): irrelevant as the fact that wild emmer wheat easily yield like traditionally domestic wheat does not prove anything that wild emmer wheat was first domesticated in the place. (B) might also weaken the argument by saying that this kind of wheat is very easy to cultivated so it can be done in anywhere not only. What if the very strong storm wind the wild wheat seat to further area and was cultivated in the place rather than the strip (just my imagination but hope you can understand my point)
(C) irrelevant as "the most nutrious of all the varieties of grain" wont affect the conclusion above.
(D): might be correct because it related to the unchanged conditions where emmer wheat "since before the development of agriculture." We can assure this answer by negate the answer by saying that "climatic conditions have not changed very little". If so, there's alot of negative effects which can affect the cultivation of the wheat
(E): weaken the argument as it possibly misunderstood emmer wheat with other kinds of wheat --> how we can assure that the emmer wheat was first cultivated there if we even hardly distinguise wheat?? By saying addtiontionally "without genetic testing" also wont work here as it makes irrelevant to support when and where the wheat was domesticated.

I just brief some of my thoughts. Hope it can help and please correct me if i've made mistake somewhere.

You are right. You have explained perfectly why B is not the answer. Let me give you the reason why D IS the answer.
D says: "In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture."
and we know that wild emmer wheat is still flourishing in that strip. If the climatic conditions were the same before the development of agriculture, it increases the possibility that wild emmer wheat flourished at that time too. Hence the people of that strip could have domesticated it. Therefore, (D) strengthens the argument. (Remember, it doesn't prove that emmer was first domesticated in that strip, it only increases the probability. That is what a strengthen option does.)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 03:01
Dont you think that you are assuming too much?

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MICKEYXITIN wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:

1. wild emmer wheat

You are right. You have explained perfectly why B is not the answer. Let me give you the reason why D IS the answer.
D says: "In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture."
and we know that wild emmer wheat is still flourishing in that strip. If the climatic conditions were the same before the development of agriculture, it increases the possibility that wild emmer wheat flourished at that time too. Hence the people of that strip could have domesticated it. Therefore, (D) strengthens the argument. (Remember, it doesn't prove that emmer was first domesticated in that strip, it only increases the probability. That is what a strengthen option does.)

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 07:46
Expert's post
noboru wrote:

I probably am assuming the implications. But the point is that we need to strengthen the argument. Not make it valid. Which means I have to look for data that makes the conclusion even more possible, not necessarily establish it beyond doubt. This is the only option that does so because of what it implies.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 12:39
OK, I guess that if an answer strengthenes the conclusion at least 1%, that is OK.

noboru wrote:

I probably am assuming the implications. But the point is that we need to strengthen the argument. Not make it valid. Which means I have to look for data that makes the conclusion even more possible, not necessarily establish it beyond doubt. This is the only option that does so because of what it implies.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 13:21
Expert's post
noboru wrote:
OK, I guess that if an answer strengthenes the conclusion at least 1%, that is OK.

Either an option strengthens the conclusion (to whatever degree - it's hard to quantify) or it doesn't.
Also, the higher questions require you to consider the implications of what is given i.e. to think a step ahead.
And, all questions are not perfect. We need to make the best of whatever is given to us and select one out of the given 5. In many questions, we could debate that none of the options are perfect but the point is, you have to choose one.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, HEC, Said
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 22:00
Nice question. What is the source?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:20
noboru wrote:

Either an option strengthens the conclusion (to whatever degree - it's hard to quantify) or it doesn't.
Also, the higher questions require you to consider the implications of what is given i.e. to think a step ahead.
And, all questions are not perfect. We need to make the best of whatever is given to us and select one out of the given 5. In many questions, we could debate that none of the options are perfect but the point is, you have to choose one.

@ Noboru & VeritasPrepKarishma: thank you for sharing some of your opinions which help me get deeper thought on this argument. I think your opinion of strengthening argument that just "strengthen the conclusion at least 1%" is possible. I read this in the "The PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible" and see it helpful in several cases. for me, in case the answer is too blur to be assured, we can navigate the option to see if the option is negated, whether it weakens the argument. that's the way i often use.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Re: CR: Interesting one   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2010, 09:20