Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 14

Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 11:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

38% (02:20) correct 62% (01:39) wrong based on 6 sessions
Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition present from birth, type-2 diabetes is acquired in adulthood, generally as a result of obesity and inactivity. The number of cases of type-2 diabetes has been steadily increasing in the United States since 1970, indicating to many researchers that the American population is becoming increasingly heavy and sedentary. If the government wishes to stem the spread of the disease, it should educate the public about the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle and promote healthful diets and exercise.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason to believe that the proposed education program will NOT be effective?

School health programs already educate middle-school students about the issue.

The public already has access to this information through the Internet.

Food companies encourage the public to indulge in unhealthful snacks.

The government has not set aside money for such a program.

Healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 234 [1] , given: 18

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
Agree with E.

School health programs already educate middle-school students about the issue >> even if they educate, the plan talks about something to be done in the future as a part of its implementation, not relevant

The public already has access to this information through the Internet. >> so what? plan talks about educating or (re)educating public and promoting health foods

Food companies encourage the public to indulge in unhealthful snacks. >> may be, government plan is out of picture here

The government has not set aside money for such a program >> okay, this might fail the plan, but it is digressing from the 'ways' in which the plan will be implemented

Healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people. >> Correct, direct attack on the plan's success, i.e. even if the plan is implemented properly ( the two ways are perfect) it will not succeed.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [1] , given: 13

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
gurpreet07 wrote:
Thanks the OA is E....but i personaly dont agree with OA...B is also a direct attack on the conclusion

Well, B just says that public has access to this information through internet. It does not mean that people are actually accessing that information or following it. Also, anybody having access to some information does not mean that he/she is educated with that information. You know what I mean? So I think B is not correct and only E is the best answer here.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 234 [1] , given: 18

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
Lets take another example. Lets say the government wants to educate everyone about the bad consequences of corruption. For this they give an advertisement in the TV. However, gurpreet07 ( or everyone in the country) already knows everything about the bad effects corruption and no one is really bothered. Do you think the government's plan will fail since people already know this information ?? Infact it might succeed because the advertisement will emphasize or remind you of the bad effects of corruption :)

I know, you might have counter arguments but this is just to provoke your thoughts in another direction :) if you are in india, you might have seen this JaagoRe advertisement from TataTea guys, something similar to that :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 13

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 11:19
IMO E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 11:26
hgp2k wrote:
IMO E

Kindly explain your answer option
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 11:39
Economist wrote:
Agree with E.

School health programs already educate middle-school students about the issue >> even if they educate, the plan talks about something to be done in the future as a part of its implementation, not relevant

The public already has access to this information through the Internet. >> so what? plan talks about educating or (re)educating public and promoting health foods

Food companies encourage the public to indulge in unhealthful snacks. >> may be, government plan is out of picture here

The government has not set aside money for such a program >> okay, this might fail the plan, but it is digressing from the 'ways' in which the plan will be implemented

Healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people. >> Correct, direct attack on the plan's success, i.e. even if the plan is implemented properly ( the two ways are perfect) it will not succeed.

Thanks buddy!

gurpreet07, please let me know if you still need further explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 11:48
Thanks the OA is E....but i personaly dont agree with OA...B is also a direct attack on the conclusion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 11:55
hgp2k wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:

Well, B just says that public has access to this information through internet. It does not mean that people are actually accessing that information or following it. Also, anybody having access to some information does not mean that he/she is educated with that information. You know what I mean? So I think B is not correct and only E is the best answer here.

Oki I understood now, your point make sense.....
Thanks g88 response
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 12:09
Economist wrote:
Lets take another example. Lets say the government wants to educate everyone about the bad consequences of corruption. For this they give an advertisement in the TV. However, gurpreet07 ( or everyone in the country) already knows everything about the bad effects corruption and no one is really bothered. Do you think the government's plan will fail since people already know this information ?? Infact it might succeed because the advertisement will emphasize or remind you of the bad effects of corruption :)

I know, you might have counter arguments but this is just to provoke your thoughts in another direction :) if you are in india, you might have seen this JaagoRe advertisement from TataTea guys, something similar to that :)

yes i am india new delhi..
hehe i got your point nice explanation.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 12:26
Economist wrote:

:cool
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 23:24
IMO E.
Intern
Intern

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 23:29
Definitely E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 08:55
This is a good question actually...
One important thing here is that the attack is made on the very premise the conclusion is based on and not on the way conclusion has been derived from the premise....
Even I got trapped in B...thanks to hgp2k....
Intern
Intern

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 22:15
defenitely E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 23:14
The conclusion of the argument is that the government should educate the public
about the dangers of inactivity and poor diet in order to stop the spread of type-2
diabetes. The basis for the claim is that inactivity and poor diet are the main
factors in developing type-2 diabetes. We are asked to find a choice that will
show that this plan likely will not work.
(A) The fact that schools educate middle school students about a disease that is
generally "acquired in adulthood" does not address the effectiveness of an adult
education plan sponsored by the government.
(B) The fact that the public already has access to this information through the
Internet, does not say anything predictive about the effectiveness of the plan.
Even with access to the information, there is a good chance that most people are
not exposed to the information.
(C) Just because food companies encourage the public to indulge in unhealthful
snacks, does not mean that a program that teaches them to do otherwise would
not be successful.
(D) The fact that the government has not set aside money for such a program,
does not say much about the projected program's effectiveness.
(E) CORRECT. Choice E states that healthful foods and exercise programs are
beyond the financial means of many people. This suggests that even with the
best planning, the program might not achieve its goals simply because people
cannot afford to follow the program's advice
Re: Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2013, 23:14