Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 444 [2] , given: 217

GMAT Tests User
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (01:36) correct 32% (00:45) wrong based on 311 sessions
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

A. the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package
B. the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company’s severance package
C. their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers
D. their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company’s severance package is available to workers
E. the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company’s severance package is available to workers

How come D?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another tough SC [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
enigma123 wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

A. the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package
B. the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company’s severance package
C. their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers
D. their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company’s severance package is available to workers
E. the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company’s severance package is available to workers

How come D?

You have to compare most severance package to the automobile's severance package. in other words apples to apples.

ABC are out:
A & B : Compare Severance Package (SP) to workers
C: Compares SP to automobile company

Only D & E compare the right things.
In E the pronoun "they" is ambiguous and it is not clear what it refers to (workers, or severance packages).

D removes this ambiguity and hence is the right choice.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 24

Re: Another tough SC [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 16:32
This post received
KUDOS
Yep. D sounds right.. Another reason why E is wrong is the fact that it alters the meaning intended. "stay until the last day that they are scheduled to collect" implies that their JOB has something to do with collection rather than being about the collection of a severance package. :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 20

Re: Another tough SC [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 18:12
Argh...I keep forgetting the noun being compared has to be immediately adjacent to the unnecessary phrase in between the commas for the phrase to make logical sense, hence why choice C is incorrect.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another tough SC [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 18:18
+1 for D.

This is a classic Comparison problem.

Unlike most severance packages => indicates that the comparison must be between the severance packages. => only D and E remain.

E is wordy and awkward. D wins.

Crick
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another tough SC [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
Straightforward D, I thought.

We can quickly narrow it down to D and E based on looking out for what we are comparing.

The problem with E is: which require workers to stay until the last day that they are scheduled to collect. The last part of this sentence to collect, seems to leave the meaning lingering in mid air. We are forced to ask the question to collect WHAT? That's what is awkward with answer choice E. So, choose D and move on.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Another tough SC [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 22:04
In comparison rule with package in the initial modifier. The potential correct choices include both D and E.

Now, we consider the meaning of D and E.

E. the last day that they are scheduled to collect

The same problem: the last day that singers are scheduled to sing => it sounds ridiculous. So, choice E is out

The correct choice is D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 72

Re: Another tough SC [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 22:35
enigma123 wrote:

Option A ,B & C are comparing Severance packages with either the workers or the automobile company hence incorrect.
Option E is wordy as the last day that they are scheduled to collect does not reflect to whom does they refers to and moreover it is awkword.
Option D is the correct one as it compares the Severance packages with the automobile company's severance package and is concise.
+1 kudo for this tough question from me

If you like my post, Press +1 KUDO. It is the best way to say Thanks .

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 20:36
I am not convinced about why is E wrong.

In fact, I felt D is wrong because "their last scheduled day" sounds awkward. Scheduled for what??

I have read all the forums regarding this question and I am not convinced with the explanation.

Could somebody help me, please?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 09:10
gmatter0913 wrote:
I am not convinced about why is E wrong.

In fact, I felt D is wrong because "their last scheduled day" sounds awkward. Scheduled for what??

I have read all the forums regarding this question and I am not convinced with the explanation.

Could somebody help me, please?

Their last scheduled day. Here, it means that the last day they are supposed to work.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Technology
Schools: HKU '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 06:07
This post received
KUDOS
It's hard to understand that if you are not a native English speaker.
I was not sure what a severance package is, but I guessed right. However, it's difficult to understand what is meant with collect. I think that's kind of Idiom for "to get" ...

I picked E, cause "in order to collect" sounded wordy to me...as I'm not a native my ears might be wrong here ;-)
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 0 [6] , given: 43

Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to [#permalink] New post 23 May 2014, 21:33
This post received
KUDOS
D is quite evident. A,B and C cannot be the answer because in each, there is a confusion whether 'they' refers to the automobile company or the workers. E sounds absurd.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 44

Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 06:02
enigma123 wrote:

How come D?

Can someone explain me what is meant here by "to collect"? WHAT should be collected? That was the main problem for me in this question

I'm not a native speaker and between D and E I selected E because I thought that it explains (by using "that") the last day is what should be collected
Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2014, 06:02