Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 04:50 It is currently 14 May 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HBS '19 CBS '19
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28631 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Usage of the idiom - as [#permalink]
Hi mike,

I am referring to manhattan SC 6th edition guide 8, page number: 141, topic: as.
By looking at the sentence, even I understood that the error is singular/plural mismatch. But, i was unsure why that was it mentioned in idioms chapter.

Please help.
Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28631 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Usage of the idiom - as [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mischiefmanaged wrote:
Hi mike,

I am referring to manhattan SC 6th edition guide 8, page number: 141, topic: as.
By looking at the sentence, even I understood that the error is singular/plural mismatch. But, i was unsure why that was it mentioned in idioms chapter.

Please help.
Thank you in advance.

Dear mischiefmanaged,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Yes, that is a little unusual. Yes, the problem is 100% the singular/plural mismatch: that's precisely why it's wrong, and they say as much in the parenthetical mark following the sentence.

I may be assuming here, but I think they were trying to make a subtle point about the nature of that idiom. You see, if we have a sentence of the form A is/are B, that is a kind of "equation" between A and B, and obviously there has to be matching between A and B on a number of levels (singular/plural, logical, etc.) Well, the idiom A [verb] as B is also a kind of equation, and in similar fashion, there needs to be matching between A and B in this case as well. Certainly A and B have to match in terms of singular & plural, and there has to be a basic logical congruence to the roles. A sentence of the form "My horse worked as a plumber" is entertaining and humorous, and may be typical of, say, a whimsical children's book, but of course, such a sentence would not come within a 100 miles of the GMAT SC. On the GMAT, A and B must be strictly logically compatible.

Those folks at MGMAT are very smart. That's my guess about why this odd point appears right there in the idiom chapter.

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much, Mike

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot