It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Usage of the idiom - as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 75

Usage of the idiom - as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 05:49
I came across a sentence in manhattan SC book which is listed under incorrect usage of 'as'. Below is the sentence
They worked as a sketch artist.

Now my question is, if the sentence is re written as - they worked as sketch artists, would this be correct? If not, please let me what would be the correction.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HBS '19, CBS '19
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 10:36
mischiefmanaged wrote:
Now my question is, if the sentence is re written as - they worked as sketch artists, would this be correct? If not, please let me what would be the correction.

Definitely! "They worked as a sketch artist" is false because the pronoun is plural while "a sketch artist" is singular.
"They worked as sketch artists" is correct.

--
Need Kudos

If you find this post hepful, please press +1 Kudos

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 62

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8988 [0], given: 113

Re: Usage of the idiom - as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 11:04
mischiefmanaged wrote:
I came across a sentence in manhattan SC book which is listed under incorrect usage of 'as'. Below is the sentence
They worked as a sketch artist.

Dear mischiefmanaged,

My friend, whenever you ask a question about a specific sentence in a specific book, always always always give the page number and cite the exact source, including volume & edition.

It appears that this sentence is wrong because of a pronoun singular/plural mismatch. Were they presenting it as a pronoun problem or as an idiom problem with the preposition "as"? I would have to see the exact context before I could comment on what they are saying.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 11:49
Hi mike,

I am referring to manhattan SC 6th edition guide 8, page number: 141, topic: as.
By looking at the sentence, even I understood that the error is singular/plural mismatch. But, i was unsure why that was it mentioned in idioms chapter.

Please help.
Thank you in advance.

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 14:11
mischiefmanaged wrote:
Hi mike,

I am referring to manhattan SC 6th edition guide 8, page number: 141, topic: as.
By looking at the sentence, even I understood that the error is singular/plural mismatch. But, i was unsure why that was it mentioned in idioms chapter.

Please help.
Thank you in advance.

Dear mischiefmanaged,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Yes, that is a little unusual. Yes, the problem is 100% the singular/plural mismatch: that's precisely why it's wrong, and they say as much in the parenthetical mark following the sentence.

I may be assuming here, but I think they were trying to make a subtle point about the nature of that idiom. You see, if we have a sentence of the form A is/are B, that is a kind of "equation" between A and B, and obviously there has to be matching between A and B on a number of levels (singular/plural, logical, etc.) Well, the idiom A [verb] as B is also a kind of equation, and in similar fashion, there needs to be matching between A and B in this case as well. Certainly A and B have to match in terms of singular & plural, and there has to be a basic logical congruence to the roles. A sentence of the form "My horse worked as a plumber" is entertaining and humorous, and may be typical of, say, a whimsical children's book, but of course, such a sentence would not come within a 100 miles of the GMAT SC. On the GMAT, A and B must be strictly logically compatible.

Those folks at MGMAT are very smart. That's my guess about why this odd point appears right there in the idiom chapter.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 03:09
Thank you so much, Mike

Re: Usage of the idiom - as   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2016, 03:09

Usage of the idiom - as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mikemcgarry

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap