Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Operations
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V37
GPA: 3.87
WE:Analyst (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
icecube6000 wrote:
My application status on MyOwen page has changed to "Interview invitation". I have not received any interview invite e-mail. Furthermore, when I click on the interview invitation link to learn more, it takes me to a page that asks to contact campus coordinator to schedule an interview and a campus interview. I cannot see a skype/video conferencing interview option.

1) Have I been actually invited for interview or is this a normal status change for all applicants?
2) If yes, how can I schedule a skype/video conferencing interview?

I am an intl. applicant and cannot travel to campus for interview.

I believe all interviews are set up through the campus visit email (campus coordinator). Go to the site here https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbi ... rocess.cfm

It explains how to schedule an interview. I had to email them with resume, and GMAT score and the date I wanted to Interview and visit. They respond pretty quickly in my opinion. Since you want a skype interview you may want to indicate that in the email to them. I emailed wanting to visit but we could never agree on a time and date that worked for both of us, so I just interviewed here in my hometown when a rep was here.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
HPmba2015 wrote:
comiclown wrote:
Here's my theory, regarding the GMAT score condition: Vanderbilt was supposed to release the decision by the deadline March 8th. Just then the ranking went down by 5 places (source US News ranking). They must have made a last minute decision to not release admission decisions for some of the applications with GMAT scores that might keep Vanderbilt's average down. Not that I blame them but it was hard to understand why there was no communication by the decision deadline. Thoughts?

I think that's reading too far into it. If I am not mistaken, the rankings are based on the class of 2014, which I understand to be a pretty competitive class. It was commucated to me that this years applicants are also highly competitive. I can't image that they do not have enough applicants with high enough scores that they cannot balance it all out to their target. I would just give them and ask for them to clarify.

I might be completely wrong but I think that what would help Vanderbilt rise in the rankings besides a slightly higher avg GMAT is lowering their acceptance rate to less than 30%.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
comiclown wrote:
Has anyone been admitted with condition? i.e, take GRE if you have sumbitted GMAT or vice versa? Why do you think they might be requesting this?

Just looked on my MyOwen Page. Finally have been admitted but it also says "Offered Admission Condition"
Your Application Status: Offered Admission Condition
Congratulations! On behalf of Vanderbilt University’s Owen Graduate School of Management, we are delighted to offer you admission to the MBA program beginning in fall 2013. A letter and welcome package will be mailed to you with information regarding your offer of admission, including details on your condition(s).

However, I guess I have to wait to see what the condition is. So comiclown...you are not alone. If anyone knows where on the MyOwen page or where I can see the condition without having to wait for the mail, please let me know
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DSGB2014 wrote:
comiclown wrote:
Has anyone been admitted with condition? i.e, take GRE if you have sumbitted GMAT or vice versa? Why do you think they might be requesting this?

Just looked on my MyOwen Page. Finally have been admitted but it also says "Offered Admission Condition"
Your Application Status: Offered Admission Condition
Congratulations! On behalf of Vanderbilt University’s Owen Graduate School of Management, we are delighted to offer you admission to the MBA program beginning in fall 2013. A letter and welcome package will be mailed to you with information regarding your offer of admission, including details on your condition(s).

However, I guess I have to wait to see what the condition is. So comiclown...you are not alone. If anyone knows where on the MyOwen page or where I can see the condition without having to wait for the mail, please let me know

After reading this I decided to take a look at my Owen Page and mine also said Accepted Offer with Conditions. This is what it said below:

Your acceptance and enrollment are conditional upon receipt and verification of all official transcripts and test scores. If you have previously requested that Vanderbilt University receive your standardized test score report from the testing service, or your official transcript, please note that verification for official transcripts and test scores will not take place right away. Verification takes place after May 15th for most applicants. Verification for later applicants takes place within four weeks of receiving your enrollment deposit. Congratulations on your decision to pursue your degree at Vanderbilt!

So I guess that is my condition? That was definitely not there when I was accepted a couple of months ago. Interesting, I am going to contact the person that has been helping me and ask her about this, ill let you know what she answers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
is it me or does it feel like Owen does a poor job communicating next steps with admitted students? It's been almost a week and the only email I have received was a Welcome Week email with no further instructions or time frame expectations.

can anyone who had been admitted in previous rounds tell me how long it took them to receive their welcome binder and what was included in it? Just a letter and scholarship info? I know decision release was last Friday, so trying to see when I should expect details in the mail.

MyOwen also says "Offered Admissions Conditions" as well

@DSGB2014: you should call the admissions office and ask what your condition is. i wouldn't wait for it in the mail since it might be something you have to get on right away.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GRE 1: Q158 V166
Send PM
comiclown wrote:

So, I would have loved to have been a mouse during the application committee reviews to understand their process. I, too, have been offered an admissions with condition to take the GMAT and score at least a 700 with quant 75th percentile. I did not receive any communication until March 13th.

It was explained to me that I can put a deposit down and take the GMATs by June 1st. If I don't score at 700 or higher, then I will be refunded the deposit, but will obviously left without a seat in the Fall. Now if Vanderbilt was the one and only place I applied and got into, then I would play ball with them.

I enjoyed my Vanderbilt visit and thought the Admissions team was excellent. However, I am severely disappointed with the extended delay past the posted deadline (this has been unprofessional and looks like they are uncoordinated/disorganized), lack of communication and condition on my admission with a seemingly double-standard of accepting the GRE score.

I thought Vanderbilt was one of my top choices, but I have to reevaluate my offers. For future applicants, Vanderbilt should clearly state that they will really only accept GMAT with at least 75th percentile quant.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry to hear about that MicroViro, I submitted my GRE with quant on the 80th percentile and wasn't asked to take the GMAT. I really wonder why they made you do that.

MiroViro wrote:
comiclown wrote:

So, I would have loved to have been a mouse during the application committee reviews to understand their process. I, too, have been offered an admissions with condition to take the GMAT and score at least a 700 with quant 75th percentile. I did not receive any communication until March 13th.

It was explained to me that I can put a deposit down and take the GMATs by June 1st. If I don't score at 700 or higher, then I will be refunded the deposit, but will obviously left without a seat in the Fall. Now if Vanderbilt was the one and only place I applied and got into, then I would play ball with them.

I enjoyed my Vanderbilt visit and thought the Admissions team was excellent. However, I am severely disappointed with the extended delay past the posted deadline (this has been unprofessional and looks like they are uncoordinated/disorganized), lack of communication and condition on my admission with a seemingly double-standard of accepting the GRE score.

I thought Vanderbilt was one of my top choices, but I have to reevaluate my offers. For future applicants, Vanderbilt should clearly state that they will really only accept GMAT with at least 75th percentile quant.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by fv113 on 14 Mar 2013, 16:02.
Last edited by fv113 on 14 Mar 2013, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q158 V152

GRE 2: Q160 V155
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
I applied to Owen's 4th and last deadline last week...hopefully they can let me know before Welcome Weekend!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MiroViro wrote:
comiclown wrote:

I ended up calling the admissions office and figuring out what the condition was. My interviewer told me yesterday that it's that they want to see 75%tile in Quant. So they asked that I retake GMAT by June 1. I was just notified that I got a fellowship to Emory (Goizueta)..so I'm going to call back and tell Consuela this and if they can't offer anything without the GMAT being retaken then I'm off to Emory. ADmission with condition is so uncoordinated and unprofessional to me and really is a turn off in my opinion. Goodluck to you all who have Owen as top choice. I hope it works best for you all. I am not going to retake any test again (requires prep to do best and its been a while since I sat for exam). I would encourage all admitted students and prospectives to check their status to make sure they dont have a "condition" lol...its just funny thinking about it and typing it out actually.

I'll let you all know if they try to stay competitive and grant me something similar to Emory's offer since they arent requiring me to retake anything.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congratulations! on your Emory fellowship! This is amazing and a great honor!! Keep us posted on how it turns with Vanderbilt, and best of luck!

DSGB2014 wrote:
MiroViro wrote:
comiclown wrote:

I ended up calling the admissions office and figuring out what the condition was. My interviewer told me yesterday that it's that they want to see 75%tile in Quant. So they asked that I retake GMAT by June 1. I was just notified that I got a fellowship to Emory (Goizueta)..so I'm going to call back and tell Consuela this and if they can't offer anything without the GMAT being retaken then I'm off to Emory. ADmission with condition is so uncoordinated and unprofessional to me and really is a turn off in my opinion. Goodluck to you all who have Owen as top choice. I hope it works best for you all. I am not going to retake any test again (requires prep to do best and its been a while since I sat for exam). I would encourage all admitted students and prospectives to check their status to make sure they dont have a "condition" lol...its just funny thinking about it and typing it out actually.

I'll let you all know if they try to stay competitive and grant me something similar to Emory's offer since they arent requiring me to retake anything.

Originally posted by comiclown on 15 Mar 2013, 08:56.
Last edited by comiclown on 15 Mar 2013, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
DSGB2014 wrote:
MiroViro wrote:
comiclown wrote:

I'm sorry to hear they're taking such a position. I agree with you, it seems kind of bush league. It's also not something I would expect from a school like Vandy - who seems to do a lot of the other things so well. I would NOT want to take the GMAT again. Ultimtely I think you're making the right decision with Emory. Good luck with everything!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I talked to Kim about my condition and she mentioned that it was to attend USBCC, the international students orientation. I was under the impression that it was waived since I got my undergraduate in the US but guess not. I would have freaked out if they had asked me to retake the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q158 V166
Send PM
DSGB2014 wrote:
MiroViro wrote:
comiclown wrote:

Wow, Congratulations on your Emory Acceptance and the Fellowship!! I can't wait to hear how the call to Vanderbilt goes. Hopefully, they're open to negotiating with you. Best Wishes!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
In this fall, this is very tough, in this fall I'm going to take my talents to South Beach and join the Miami Heat...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rrossjd wrote:
In this fall, this is very tough, in this fall I'm going to take my talents to South Beach and join the Miami Heat...

Soooo you are picking Jones, Vandy or Olin Lebron?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
between those, i'm firstly dead set on no more grad school tuition debt or bank loans
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
any admitted students receive the link to the FB group for c/o 2015? if so, can you help PM me? I cant seem to find it on FB. thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts