Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [1]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Veritas? E-GMAT? GMAT Pill?Choosing a course... please help! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
If you want to try the Veritas Course, you can download their mobile app - they offer the lessons for free in the in-app section. They used to charge $50 per lesson or something like this.

Another recommendation I would have is for you to look into who is offering a free trial (I think Magoosh and eGMAT do). not sure yet about Veritas or GMAT Pill.

Finally, look at the money back policies with each provider and see what they are and what are your chances to get money back should your score not improve - some are very generous and others are less so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi this is Leo here. Just want to share my experience and hope it is helpful. Like you, I did poorly in my first attempt, scoring 680. Determined to improve, I sign up for GMAT Pills and scored 730 after one month of preparation. I am currently admitted into London Business School and will be starting two weeks later.

From my experience, GMAT Pills is designed for busy professional. Although I was a student, I have to take CFA Level 1, run a student club I have founded, handle school work and manage a small side business during the GMAT period. I feel that the method is simple and straight forward. The course only focus on the things that matter and leave the other irrelevant craps out, which was good to me as all I wanted was a good score within the limited amount of time. With the mobile apps, I was able to learn when I was on the road, gyming or waiting for lessons.

I am unsure if GMAT Pills is the best resource you can use (because I have not tried all of them) but it works perfectly well for me. I hope that my experience may aid you in making your decision. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Leo
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
navylam wrote:
brianlange77 wrote:
Hey -- good question and glad you are doing the research. I won't tell you that any particular service is the best (although I do have a preference there!!). The best thing to do, IMHO, is to try to sample out each class, and see which approach/teachers/methodology fits best with your style.

Quick challenge for you -- If you have really specific needs you are looking to address... have you considered tutoring instead of the full class?

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,
I am specially weak in RC for that I am slow-reader. but heard many people say that one strategy is to be really good at SC and CR so as to give more time to do RC, so I am actually considering to take class for Verbal in general. Not sure about tutoring, that sounds expensive? Any money-back guarantee?

Thanks!

That sounds more like a wishful outcome than a strategy! It's like saying, I am not good at managing money, but I've heard if I can understand options trading and the commodities market, that might make things okay! :-)

Everything has a cost -- just make sure you are paying for what you really need!!!
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
labixiaoxin wrote:
hhhhhhhhhhhhhfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Good point!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I took Veritas Prep... I'm not quite sold on the live session classes, to be honest. The books were okay, but I'm retaking the GMAT and I haven't even touched them at all.

I self-studied mainly with them and MGMAT books, but I'm a non-native speaker so my perspective is different.
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey -- good question and glad you are doing the research. I won't tell you that any particular service is the best (although I do have a preference there!!). The best thing to do, IMHO, is to try to sample out each class, and see which approach/teachers/methodology fits best with your style.

Quick challenge for you -- If you have really specific needs you are looking to address... have you considered tutoring instead of the full class?

Thanks!

-Brian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
brianlange77 wrote:

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,
I am specially weak in RC for that I am slow-reader. but heard many people say that one strategy is to be really good at SC and CR so as to give more time to do RC, so I am actually considering to take class for Verbal in general. Not sure about tutoring, that sounds expensive? Any money-back guarantee?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fozzzy wrote:
It really depends no what your style of study is if you feel one course helps you better go for it, asking for others opinions won't help.... Everyone's style of study is different.

Its like saying a person who likes to study from books has to choose an on-line course for his preparation. Would this strategy work for him?

Thank you Fozzzy for so actively responding to my posts, really appreciate your help. i just want to get more perspectives and more importantly to involve actually the prep- institutes for more clarity :)

Thank you i also agree your perspective :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
If you want to try the Veritas Course, you can download their mobile app - they offer the lessons for free in the in-app section. They used to charge $50 per lesson or something like this.

Another recommendation I would have is for you to look into who is offering a free trial (I think Magoosh and eGMAT do). not sure yet about Veritas or GMAT Pill.

Finally, look at the money back policies with each provider and see what they are and what are your chances to get money back should your score not improve - some are very generous and others are less so.

bb, i am so surprised that the founder of this site writes to respond my post! i actually quite admire you spotted the unmet need for GMAT test takers and started such a great platform for us!

Back to the topic, thank you so much for the tips on veritas, will definitely try it out!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATPill wrote:
Quote:
to be honestly stingy, why not just use the free resources?

Navylam,

The free resources we provide are fantastic. However, simply doing questions may not get you to where you need to be.

Perhaps more important is the 'speed learning' techniques we teach in our course. These are the techniques that empower you to break through the upper end of your GMAT score range. You won't get these techniques and the hundreds of video explanations that demonstrate how to apply them without membership. So while you may have free access to the Practice Pill Platform, you won't have access to the good stuff that will actually help you improve.

For example, with this video: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... -lo-mo.mp4

You might not learn anything by simply doing the question. Only by watching the video and understanding the approach will you be better able to handle other similar types of questions. AND improve on speed.

We generally don't provide multiple levels of guarantee because it potentially confuses users of our site. But given your high Q score, we can potentially work something out with your verbal in terms of the guarantee. Please message support@gmatpill.com.

Hope that helps,
GMATPill

Hi GMAT Pill representative, thank you so much for answering to my post, this is my main purpose to start this thread.
to be very direct, what are the unique selling points of your classes over E-GMAT or Veritas? I want to discuss this here because it is also useful for other test-takers to know.

About the money-back policy I will PM you. thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
navylam wrote:

Hi GMAT Pill representative, thank you so much for answering to my post, this is my main purpose to start this thread.
to be very direct, what are the unique selling points of your classes over E-GMAT or Veritas? I want to discuss this here because it is also useful for other test-takers to know.

thanks!

Hi navylam,

Our approach is designed for busy working professionals with limited time to study.

These are working professionals who do not have time to understand the meaning of what a SUBJUNCTIVE CLAUSE is or a what a PARTICIPIAL PHRASE is.

So fundamentally, our approach to the test differs greatly. Others tend to put "labels" on certain phrases - we focus more on thought process.

In the spirit of Nike's "Just Do It" slogan - we just do GMAT questions and show you how we are thinking. We don't overanalyze or put fancy labels anywhere. We just do it. For those with limited time to study - this is important.

So that's how we are different from a fundamental/philosophical perspective.

We've also outlined how we are different on this page: https://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/gmat-pill-discount/

To summarize:

1) We are the ONLY GMAT Prep Course Taught by a Team of Stanford Graduates

2) No Other Prep Company Has Been Featured on…Businessweek, Bloomberg, Breaking Into Wall Street, and Harvard Business School

3) No Other Prep Company Offers Lifetime Membership, 50 pt Guarantee… …AND a Complete Mobile Solution On iPhone/Android/iPad

4) No Other Prep Company Has Helped a (Non-Native) Student (Kang: 760) Get OFF the Waitlist …AND Score a $50,000 MBA Tuition Scholarship

5) ]No other Prep Company Hires ITS OWN STUDENTS - including one (James: 770) who earned a $93k Full-Tuition Scholarship to London Business School

6) No other Prep Company Has Free Full-Length Practice Test - complete with performance and time analytics - as well as discussion links for each question:

7) No other Prep Company Has a free Online OG Tracker - Open for Discussion

8) No other Prep Company Has This:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
I have been using the Empower Gmat course for 2 months now. I find it helpful and the explanations are great.

But, I do not see anyone talking about in forums here? How well known is the course and their teachings?

Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I can't comment on that source -- but I may suggest posting it as its own topic if you truly want people to be able to respond to your inquiry. It will get 'buried' here.
Thanks.
Brian

PrincessZ wrote:
I have been using the Empower Gmat course for 2 months now. I find it helpful and the explanations are great.

But, I do not see anyone talking about in forums here? How well known is the course and their teachings?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhfffffffffffffffffffffffffff
GMAT Club Bot