Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.97
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 11

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 13:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
Just received the following email from Wharton regarding the Group Interview. The following is an excerpt:

FORMAT

Your discussion will have a prompt and a purpose and you will work towards a tangible outcome with your group. The team-based discussion is additive and does not replace the opportunity for an individual exchange. There will be time allotted for a short one-on-one conversation regarding your candidacy with a member of the Admissions staff or Admission Fellow during the interview. This will also provide an opportunity to ask any questions that you may have.

Below are examples of the type of prompts that may be used during a session (Please note that we will provide you further information on the prompt for your team based discussion after you are invited to interview and sign up): What one talent or strength should a leader rely on most in daily life?
If you could teach one thing about innovation to a group of new employees, what would it be?

GENERAL TIPS
Come prepared to share your individual thoughts.
You should plan to spend no more that one hour in preparation.
Do not expect the interviewer to give you feedback - literally or figuratively. Be careful to avoid any interpretation of verbal or non-verbal communication, as both may mislead you.
Interviews are not a popularity contest. The interviewer is there to assess your fit for the Wharton MBA program.
The key is to relax, be genuine, and enjoy the opportunity for us to get to know you and you to get to know each other!


**Note: this email was not an invite to interview, just a what to expect should you be invited.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 120
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 14:12
Received that email above as well. Heart jumped for a second, thinking I received a "ding" notice. I'm very curious to see how this new interview format goes.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Posts: 17
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 14:21
Same here, I was a little worried when I saw it. Interesting new design on the interview format...I can't imagine being in there with all the other hungry candidates trying to get a piece of the teamwork pie.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 397
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 16:21
joe82 wrote:
Same here, I was a little worried when I saw it. Interesting new design on the interview format...I can't imagine being in there with all the other hungry candidates trying to get a piece of the teamwork pie.


I am so happy to see Wharton has this new format, its innovation in itself. It also differentiates itself from other schools like Harvard and Stanford.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Posts: 96
Location: Kuwait
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 23

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 01:21
I feel like this slightly throws me out of my comfort zone. I mean, I was mentally prepared for one-on-one interviews with my colleges. Now we're going to be scrapping for footage time in a room full of ultra smart people. I think its going to be interesting but excruciatingly nerve wracking.
_________________

INSEAD - MBA Class of December 2015
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/insead15d/
WhatsApp Group (Admits): PM me with your number to join the group :-)

Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3229
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 03:00
Expert's post
Group dynamics my friend. Plus, it's a classic tactic of interrogation or inquisition. It's always the silent ones that are dangerous!
;)
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 04:24
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
joe82 wrote:
Same here, I was a little worried when I saw it. Interesting new design on the interview format...I can't imagine being in there with all the other hungry candidates trying to get a piece of the teamwork pie.


I am so happy to see Wharton has this new format, its innovation in itself. It also differentiates itself from other schools like Harvard and Stanford.


I wonder if you can really call the Group Interview an 'innovation'. Business schools in India have done it for decades, and they stopped doing it probably because they realised that it was not the best way to evaluate candidates. Most such "Group Interviews" will end up being chaotic, with each participant trying to beat the other on verbal real-estate. Wharton is trying to do something different, but I really wonder if they did the 'Research' (as they mention in their essay question) before deciding to deploy an evaluation tool that has all been abandoned by universities that used it in the past.
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 128
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 04:35
Consulting companies throw job applicants into these team-based discussions to weed out the unassertive folks.

I wonder how Wharton is going to organise these team-based discussions for international applicants based in cities with very few or almost no applicants. Perhaps we're expected to fly to the nearest country where there is a larger pool of applicants. Has anybody asked Wharton Admissions about this?
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 05:07
Expert's post
theK wrote:
Consulting companies throw job applicants into these team-based discussions to weed out the unassertive folks.

I wonder how Wharton is going to organise these team-based discussions for international applicants based in cities with very few or almost no applicants. Perhaps we're expected to fly to the nearest country where there is a larger pool of applicants. Has anybody asked Wharton Admissions about this?


The email listed the cities they would have interviews in (London, Mumbai, SF, etc). I'm guessing if you don't live near one of those cities, you would have to fly to whichever is closest to you. Similarly for US applicants, we'll have to travel to either SF or Philly regardless of where we live -- though a campus visit is not necessarily a bad thing to make time for.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 128
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 05:37
mba2014hopeful wrote:
The email listed the cities they would have interviews in (London, Mumbai, SF, etc). I'm guessing if you don't live near one of those cities, you would have to fly to whichever is closest to you. Similarly for US applicants, we'll have to travel to either SF or Philly regardless of where we live -- though a campus visit is not necessarily a bad thing to make time for.


Thanks, mba2014hopeful. Does it include any of the Australian cities or Singapore by any chance? If not, do you mind sharing which cities in the Pacific and South East Asia regions are listed in the email?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 05:50
This is what was listed:

The off-campus interviews will be held in Dubai, London, Mexico City, Mumbai, New Delhi, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Disbelief! The Countdown Begins
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 7

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 06:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Pashya wrote:
I feel like this slightly throws me out of my comfort zone. I mean, I was mentally prepared for one-on-one interviews with my colleges. Now we're going to be scrapping for footage time in a room full of ultra smart people. I think its going to be interesting but excruciatingly nerve wracking.


Alright, this is loser talk. You my friend are a member of GMATClub. You scored highly on your GMAT. You are applying yousrelf to one of the top busines schools in the world. From this I can tell you are a bright driven individual. If you are getting an interview at Wharton, you will be one of those ultra smart people in that room. You are clearly on par with the best of the best. If you cant muster up the self confidence and courage to get in there and make a few points during the discussion, then you don't deserve Wharton. Its not about scrapping for time, I am very reserved in these situations, but I will go in with a game plan. I know I wont dominate the conversation, but I will try to get a few key points in and build off others in the room.

Come on, we got this.
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 128
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 06:54
sid05 wrote:
This is what was listed:

The off-campus interviews will be held in Dubai, London, Mexico City, Mumbai, New Delhi, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo.

Thanks, sid05. That corresponds to what Adam Markus has on his blog:
http://adam-markus.blogspot.com.au/2012 ... n-mba.html

For the international applicants that have been invited to an interview, can anybody share with me the dates for the sessions in Singapore? Much appreciated.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 07:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
theK wrote:
sid05 wrote:
This is what was listed:

The off-campus interviews will be held in Dubai, London, Mexico City, Mumbai, New Delhi, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo.

Thanks, sid05. That corresponds to what Adam Markus has on his blog:
http://adam-markus.blogspot.com.au/2012 ... n-mba.html

For the international applicants that have been invited to an interview, can anybody share with me the dates for the sessions in Singapore? Much appreciated.


Invites won't go out until Oct 23 to Nov 9. Hang tight until then.

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 120
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:33
2
This post received
KUDOS
Throwing out an idea here. Would anyone be interested in setting up an anonymous google hangout-style chat where we can practice the group discussions? I'm sure no matter how the practice sessions go, we'll be a bit more prepared for the cluster-f when the real interview happens.

PM me if you're interested
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3229
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 07:29
Expert's post
Very cool idea! Let us know if this works out.
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 397
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 22:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

I wonder if you can really call the Group Interview an 'innovation'. Business schools in India have done it for decades, and they stopped doing it probably because they realised that it was not the best way to evaluate candidates. Most such "Group Interviews" will end up being chaotic, with each participant trying to beat the other on verbal real-estate. Wharton is trying to do something different, but I really wonder if they did the 'Research' (as they mention in their essay question) before deciding to deploy an evaluation tool that has all been abandoned by universities that used it in the past.


I am afraid you have confused innovation with invention. Wharton has innovated. They will use an existing technique which was not in use at Wharton all along and adopt it for their own good. A clear differentiator from rest of the top tier schools.

Anyways I think Group discussion will not be the main metric this year as it is the first year of use.The weightage of the GD should be similar to that given to candidate's IR score. Wharton will evaluate the GD this year and then consider to use it more regularly depending on the outcome.

The Innovation group will probably end up looking at the data and proposing whether the GD styled interview works. Another point here is that the Wharton GD differs significantly from those in IIMs. This I gathered from the examples provided for the candidate's preparation. From the examples, its clear that Wharton's topics are general affairs rather than current affairs, which gets tested in IIMs.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2010
Posts: 33
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 21:53
Anybody have any idea what Wharton is looking for in the hobbies or related activities section of the app? It seems like "hobbies" suggests things like, I enjoy cooking and skiing in my free time, but I don't belong to any club or organization or hold a title with respect to these activities, and there is no start/stop date. I'm debating whether to include these types of hobbies (eg, "Cooking" is my "club" and I have been doing it from xx/2004 to present and spend about 3 hrs per week doing it) or just leave this section blank. Also thinking about adding very old club involvements, like I was on a ski team in high school, in order to indicate that I have been involved in this activity for a long time, but on the other hand maybe it is just stale and unimportant at this point. Thoughts?
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3229
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 02:03
Expert's post
madammepsychosis wrote:
Anybody have any idea what Wharton is looking for in the hobbies or related activities section of the app? It seems like "hobbies" suggests things like, I enjoy cooking and skiing in my free time, but I don't belong to any club or organization or hold a title with respect to these activities, and there is no start/stop date. I'm debating whether to include these types of hobbies (eg, "Cooking" is my "club" and I have been doing it from xx/2004 to present and spend about 3 hrs per week doing it) or just leave this section blank. Also thinking about adding very old club involvements, like I was on a ski team in high school, in order to indicate that I have been involved in this activity for a long time, but on the other hand maybe it is just stale and unimportant at this point. Thoughts?


Well, I would leave out the ski thing. You hit the nail on the head when you wrote the word "Stale"... If you haven't done it since high school, it's likely not all that relevant. As for the cooking, that can be great, but we need to know that it's more than three hours of you just slapping some tomatoes in the pan to put on your spaghetti! You need to find some concrete way to make it relevant and interesting (like, you have taken courses in three types of cuisine, you know how to make Peking Duck, you test two new recipes a week, etc.... Make it UNIQUE and INTERESTING!
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2010
Posts: 33
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 06:39
JonAdmissionado wrote:
madammepsychosis wrote:
Anybody have any idea what Wharton is looking for in the hobbies or related activities section of the app? It seems like "hobbies" suggests things like, I enjoy cooking and skiing in my free time, but I don't belong to any club or organization or hold a title with respect to these activities, and there is no start/stop date. I'm debating whether to include these types of hobbies (eg, "Cooking" is my "club" and I have been doing it from xx/2004 to present and spend about 3 hrs per week doing it) or just leave this section blank. Also thinking about adding very old club involvements, like I was on a ski team in high school, in order to indicate that I have been involved in this activity for a long time, but on the other hand maybe it is just stale and unimportant at this point. Thoughts?


Well, I would leave out the ski thing. You hit the nail on the head when you wrote the word "Stale"... If you haven't done it since high school, it's likely not all that relevant. As for the cooking, that can be great, but we need to know that it's more than three hours of you just slapping some tomatoes in the pan to put on your spaghetti! You need to find some concrete way to make it relevant and interesting (like, you have taken courses in three types of cuisine, you know how to make Peking Duck, you test two new recipes a week, etc.... Make it UNIQUE and INTERESTING!


Seems sensible. I do put a lot more into cooking that just basic sustenance (know you were just making a point :-D ) -- I like to challenge myself and cook new and exciting dishes when I can (unfortunately, work and other commitments (MBA apps) don't afford me time to test 2 new recipes a week, but when I do get time I might spend a whole day in the kitchen), love classic French the best -- but, still, how do you work this into the Wharton hobbies section? They give you four entries to fill in: Club/organization, Positions held, Start date/end date, and # hrs per week. There is no room for explanation, other than 250 characters for all your hobbies combined to explain which activity you enjoy the most and why. Is it bad to just leave the hobbies/interests section blank entirely and depend only on the more formal ECs listed in the activities section? I would like to show some of my other interests outside of work to highlight a multifaceted personality, beyond what I will be writing in one of my essays (which conveys just one of my personal passions), but seems like this is the only place to do so (no room on my resume, and even if I did have room I frankly think it a little amateurish to list hobbies on a professional resume). Might just end up scrapping the whole section, though.
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2012, 06:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
460 Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1614 25 Apr 2012, 00:55
Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton Exec 2013 - Calling all applicants souvik101990 0 15 Feb 2013, 09:00
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants aerien 126 01 Jan 2013, 18:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  81    Next  [ 1615 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.