Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What am I doing wrong. Stagnant scores? TS- 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

What am I doing wrong. Stagnant scores? TS- 700+ [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 19:26
It has been a long struggle for me. I started my GMAT Prep last summer. My very first MGMAT diagnostic score was a 540 (Q-33, V-30). I got this score without any Prep. I knew I had a long road ahead.

I went over the MGMT Strategy Guides. It took me a long time to get to a point where I could give tests since I have been out of school for 8 years and my math skills were extremely rusty.

In Mid-October, I gave my first GMAT Prep test and scored a 620 (Q-40, V-35). After that test, I went on and took 1 Kaplan CAT and scored a 670 (Q-49, V-32) and 1 MGMAt test and scored a 640 (Q-44, V-33).

After that I took an entire month, bough the gmat club tests and did a few Quant tests and a few Verbal tests. I revised all my errors thoroughly etc.

Today, I gave my 2nd GMATPrep and scored a 620 again!!!!! (Q-44, V-31). I ran out of time and I had to guess and rush through the last 10 Quant questions and last 7 or so Verbal questions.

I am extremely tired and disappointed. I have been keeping an error log but I don't have 2-3 very specific weak area. My weak areas and strong areas are all over the place depending on the test I give.

Any ideas please?

Thanks for the input.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2282

Kudos [?]: 8865 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What am I doing wrong. Stagnant scores? TS- 700+ [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 19:56
Expert's post
Huh. I don't see you username associated with GMAT Club tests (and you signed up just a few weeks ago?)

If your areas are strong, why only 620? Did you only make 2-3 mistakes? You had to make at least 15 in each section to score 620...
Also I can understand the math being rusty but it also looks like your Verbal scores have NOT moved at all in any of the tests - I would say that's your weakness. V30 is not strong for a native speaker. Q44 is not terrible at all by the way.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Re: What am I doing wrong. Stagnant scores? TS- 700+ [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 20:17
I use my username tied to my email id for the gmatclub tests.
This explains why you didn't see my username tied to the tests.

What are some good resources for verbal. Question banks? I have heard all the praise for the GMAt Club Quant tests but not for the GMAT Club verbal. I seem to be able to find excellent practice material for Quant. What would be the same for Verbal? Is Kaplan 800 good for verbal?

Also, my biggest hit was with timing having had to guess 10 questions on Math and 7 on Verbal. How can I improve my timing?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 3

Re: What am I doing wrong. Stagnant scores? TS- 700+ [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 17:05
This post received
KUDOS
gmatprep1982 wrote:
It has been a long struggle for me. I started my GMAT Prep last summer. My very first MGMAT diagnostic score was a 540 (Q-33, V-30). I got this score without any Prep. I knew I had a long road ahead.

I went over the MGMT Strategy Guides. It took me a long time to get to a point where I could give tests since I have been out of school for 8 years and my math skills were extremely rusty.

In Mid-October, I gave my first GMAT Prep test and scored a 620 (Q-40, V-35). After that test, I went on and took 1 Kaplan CAT and scored a 670 (Q-49, V-32) and 1 MGMAt test and scored a 640 (Q-44, V-33).

After that I took an entire month, bough the gmat club tests and did a few Quant tests and a few Verbal tests. I revised all my errors thoroughly etc.

Today, I gave my 2nd GMATPrep and scored a 620 again!!!!! (Q-44, V-31). I ran out of time and I had to guess and rush through the last 10 Quant questions and last 7 or so Verbal questions.

I am extremely tired and disappointed. I have been keeping an error log but I don't have 2-3 very specific weak area. My weak areas and strong areas are all over the place depending on the test I give.

Any ideas please?

Thanks for the input.

Based on my knowledge of things, you suffer from nerves and consistency issues far more than anything else. Just yesterday, I took the first GMATPrep exam, and score 700 (Q47 V40). Normally, I score around 42-44 in V, BUT because I panicked on a couple of late quant questions, and did the last four or five in about six minutes, I demoralized myself completely ahead of the Verbal.

Look at it this way - rushing through the last 10 Quant questions means that, if you had timed yourself slightly better, you could've scored around 46-48 in Q (which is a solid score). If you can get the timing down, you should be able to go into the Verbal section with more confidence, and score above the 35 you had the first time.

My personal advice would be to take a weekend off. Go out, have some fun, read a good book, and, most importantly, don't think about the GMAT. You'll see that after a couple of days off, you'll feel refreshed. Afterwards, go over OG13, and time yourself in increments. Do 30-40 questions in one go, and see how long it takes you. Don't clock-watch, just do the problems and see if how much time you need to shave. The more practice you get at this, the better your internal clock will be at identifying appropriate amounts of time to spend on a question. Remember - you can get 10 questions wrong per section and still score a 720. Don't get discouraged, no matter what!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2282

Kudos [?]: 8865 [1] , given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What am I doing wrong. Stagnant scores? TS- 700+ [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 18:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatprep1982 wrote:
I use my username tied to my email id for the gmatclub tests.
This explains why you didn't see my username tied to the tests.

What are some good resources for verbal. Question banks? I have heard all the praise for the GMAt Club Quant tests but not for the GMAT Club verbal. I seem to be able to find excellent practice material for Quant. What would be the same for Verbal? Is Kaplan 800 good for verbal?

Also, my biggest hit was with timing having had to guess 10 questions on Math and 7 on Verbal. How can I improve my timing?

Kaplan 800 is not good for verbal. I would recommend MGMAT books, Veritas Prep books, and a few people have liked the Aristotle materials.
There is also this thread: how-to-go-to-v40-from-v30-142366.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: What am I doing wrong. Stagnant scores? TS- 700+   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2013, 18:47