Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Where would you work

You may select 1 option
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: *** WHAT INTERNSHIP WOULD YOU TAKE? *** [#permalink]
I voted #1, seems like the most fun and job meshes well with your expereince. Finance (was an analyst for ~ 2 years) bores me to tears, regardless of the role. Consulting is very interesting to me but the travel sucks. VC is another "not so exciting" function. I was talking with a few VC firms on campus this year and it just is not for me. Plus, I think your background is well suited for # 1 and allows you to avoid an unbearable traveling schedule. However, if you remotely think you might be interested in VC, I would say take it, since as you said " VC is really hard to break into". Which ever you choose good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Wow, this is the hardest decision I've ever made....

I'm down to the Financial Svcs firm or the VC opportunity. The alkehawl firm is dead in the water. I discovered what their full time offers are and they can forget it.

Last night I went to bed thinking "Absolutely VC. You only get one chance to do that. The hours are good. It's local. The people seem nice. I could wear jeans. I want to be an entrepreneur one day anyway, why not accelerate this? General Management programs are plentiful and I can always go from VC to GM but I can't go from GM to VC, at least not easily."

This morning I woke up thinking "The economy next year sucks. Odds of a VC offer are slim to begin with, and probably real slim next year. I don't have that kind of risk appetite. The financial services firm provides far more cash, a corporate apartment, a solid GM experience and a strong likelyhood of a fulltime offer, which although its not in a city I'd much want to move to, if the economy goes boom, I'm covered. Plus, I keep hearing the firm is really quite good and strong."
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
I vote VC. Sorry, pal, but you do not make and impression of a person in desperate need of these fifty nine cents 8-) , and it may be just too good an opportunity to miss.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
helg wrote:
I vote VC. Sorry, pal, but you do not make and impression of a person in desperate need of these fifty nine cents 8-) , and it may be just too good an opportunity to miss.

LOL.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
rhyme, i am not worried about you for next year. you'll get a job - i am sure of it.

The GM job would be good, no doubt. A solid foundation, and I bet they know how to deal with interns. You'd have a good experience.

The VC job really offers a unique opportunity. The question, of course, is if this is an opportunity that you want.

Will the VC folks offer you a robust experience? Small organizations often don't deal as well with interns - having had interns myself, it takes planning and support to offer a good experience.

Will you be unhappy at the VC firm? It's a different culture from what you're used to. If you're miserable, it doesn't matter how good the experience is.

And finally, assuming the fit is good and that they will make good use of you, IS this the foundation you want? DO you want to explore VC? I am certain that GM will still be there for you after this summer. VC - less sure. So if you want to explore it, now is probably the time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Is the VC firm in Chicago? If it is then it probably makes it harder to decide since you wont have the housing issue play a factor in the decision. Personally I think you know your goals best so probably can figure out whats best for you. That said if you turn down the VC thing you may have that lingering question, What if?

Chances are you turn down the VC you shut that door for good. However, if you turn down the GM position you still have a very solid shot of getting hired. At the VC there is always the potential they have some amazing start up they are funding that you may want to work for post grad in a management roll. If you want to get into a startup at all prior VC experience will look great to companies trying to get funding since you will have knowledge of the industry and the ever important contacts.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Wow, this is the hardest decision I've ever made....

I'm down to the Financial Svcs firm or the VC opportunity. The alkehawl firm is dead in the water. I discovered what their full time offers are and they can forget it.

Last night I went to bed thinking "Absolutely VC. You only get one chance to do that. The hours are good. It's local. The people seem nice. I could wear jeans. I want to be an entrepreneur one day anyway, why not accelerate this? General Management programs are plentiful and I can always go from VC to GM but I can't go from GM to VC, at least not easily."

This morning I woke up thinking "The economy next year sucks. Odds of a VC offer are slim to begin with, and probably real slim next year. I don't have that kind of risk appetite. The financial services firm provides far more cash, a corporate apartment, a solid GM experience and a strong likelyhood of a fulltime offer, which although its not in a city I'd much want to move to, if the economy goes boom, I'm covered. Plus, I keep hearing the firm is really quite good and strong."

Wow, tough decision and I can see why it's such a dilemma.

Go the safe but potentially less exciting route? Or go the riskier but potentially more rewarding route?

All in all, not a bad situation to be in. Let us know what you decide.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Is the VC firm in Chicago? If it is then it probably makes it harder to decide since you wont have the housing issue play a factor in the decision. Personally I think you know your goals best so probably can figure out whats best for you. That said if you turn down the VC thing you may have that lingering question, What if?

Chances are you turn down the VC you shut that door for good. However, if you turn down the GM position you still have a very solid shot of getting hired. At the VC there is always the potential they have some amazing start up they are funding that you may want to work for post grad in a management roll. If you want to get into a startup at all prior VC experience will look great to companies trying to get funding since you will have knowledge of the industry and the ever important contacts.

I think you've captured the problem quite well. The what if question really IS the question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Is it only a what if thing? Is your only goal to secure a job full time from your internship? I think of the internship more of an opportunity to experiment, learn what you like, increase your marketability for full time, and open up options. I think a VC firm on your resume is going to be a great thing - eto accomplish all of these goals.

Sure you might lock up an offer with higher likelihood at the GM-Finance role, but you'll increase your marketability no matter what you pursue at the VC firm - plus satisfy all the other goals (with less of a weight on potential full time experience).

It all depends on what your primary goal is. If to secure a full time job at GM-Finance, well then you have your answer. If all of the other things - I vote VC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
Rhyme,

Your poll seems to be going strong. I thought you would've made the decision by now.
As I said yesterday & has been repeated ad nauseum here, you will get more opportunities for GM while an internship in VC would be your toe into a tough field. Most VC firms (at least the tech ones on west coast) are populated with Stanford & HBS alumni. Even if you aren't interested in VC after the summer, working with such high calibre people is invaluable. Have you talked to 2nd years who have done VC before?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I was told by a bunch of people to view the internship as an experiment. If you are curious about banking give it a try, if you think you may want to do MC then give it a shot, if you want to see what marketing is about try that. Basically unless you are 100% clear on your goals its worth trying something just to try it. If you dont get your dream position from your #1 company then there is no harm in trying something else.

The VC thing seems like a great opportunity and will look good on a resume these days since VC is such a tough field to break into and has that cache attached to it. As long as its with a reputable firm and not one thats going to close up shop in mid July its probably worth testing out. For all you know you could find a calling you never really thought about.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I voted VC as well. And now the VC vote is above 50%!! I am thinking like everybody else. VC is a unique opportunity, and something that could have been achieved only through business school. For me, it would be a defining bschool experience, and make going to school more meaningful...

Rhyme, can you do both the internships over the summer? Is it even possible? Are they GSB students who do that? Also, I have also heard that thru the New Venture Lab, you end up effectively working for a local company, and its almost equivalent to an internship. Can you hedge your risky internship (VC) with a more standard Lab experience?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
ujjib wrote:
I voted VC as well. And now the VC vote is above 50%!! I am thinking like everybody else. VC is a unique opportunity, and something that could have been achieved only through business school. For me, it would be a defining bschool experience, and make going to school more meaningful...

Rhyme, can you do both the internships over the summer? Is it even possible? Are they GSB students who do that? Also, I have also heard that thru the New Venture Lab, you end up effectively working for a local company, and its almost equivalent to an internship. Can you hedge your risky internship (VC) with a more standard Lab experience?

i ran into a student at the gsb who said she did internships in both banking and consulting during the summer... dunno how she managed that though
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
I took the VC job. Its just too unique of an opportunity to pass up. (That I misheard the salary anyway, its actually substantially higher than I'd understood lol). So thats it boys -- close another chapter on the Rhyme Train Of Madness And Total Destruction(TM)!!

From 640 gmat and 40th percentile in math.... to a 700+ gmat... to the Chicago GSB... to VC.... whats next?

Tune in to find out!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I took the VC job. Its just too unique of an opportunity to pass up.

Cool. I voted Financial Service GM originally, but after I thought about it for a while I changed my mind to VC. Is there a particular industry focus for the firm?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I took the VC job. Its just too unique of an opportunity to pass up. (That I misheard the salary anyway, its actually substantially higher than I'd understood lol)

Congrats rhyme! Too many offers can do that to someone.
You still have 1 or 2 other ones you haven't heard from, right? Someone is gonna offer $2 pretty soon :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
.... whats next?

I hear Britney Spears is single...

(Congrats on the job choice and better than expected comp!)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3