Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)
WE 1: Market Research
WE 2: Consulting
WE 3: Iron & Steel Retail/Trading
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 20:35
GMAC gives the (free) option of sending one's GMAT scores directly to 5 schools of one's choice. What's the benefit of doing this, if any, when one is nevertheless gonna fill full-fledged application forms for the same 5 schools (and thus include one's official GMAT scores)?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 21:32
Expert's post
The number that you enter is not official and will not be recognized as such by the schools. Ultimately, schools will only rely on the official score report, which is sent by GMAC.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 03:18
As bmillan01 stated, schools only accept officially reported scores. If you do not send via the GMAC during your sitting, you must pay $28/per school. $28 @ five schools, you're already over half the cost of another exam sitting.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 03:23
@Mohater: How do school trace a candidate's gmat score with his/her application?? I mean do a candidate submit the unique GMAT ID with application?? & then schools trace that ID from sent reports from GMAT??

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Manager
Manager
Schools: S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)

Reviews Badge
Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 10:22
Thanks for the info.

But yeah, I too am concerned about the same thing. GMAC would email me my official score report 20 days after my GMAT, and shouldn't I just attach a printed version of this "official" score report with all the applications?

Also, do you really mean that whoever applies to business schools (using GMAT), *each and every one* gets one's GMAT score sent via GMAC?
(because schools don't accept "unofficial" report... but GMAC does send every candidate his "official" score report 20 days later...)

Labor Omnia Vincit (Hard Work Conquers All)
My practice and final scores | My GMAT Club profile
My blog | My Google profile | My LinkedIn profile | Me on Twitter

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 12:04
Expert's post
Yes, each target school will receive an official score report from GMAC. You can inform the schools of your score before the official score report reaches them, and they will temporarily recognize that information during this time. But the schools require the official score from GMAC. There's no way around it.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2158

Kudos [?]: 7580 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 13:07
Expert's post
Hussain15 wrote:
@Mohater: How do school trace a candidate's gmat score with his/her application?? I mean do a candidate submit the unique GMAT ID with application?? & then schools trace that ID from sent reports from GMAT??

They will use your name, country, and the schools that do ask for it, may also use date of birth.
Schools assemble application packages and track if it is complete/incomplete since they need to get essays, recommendations, resume, gmat score, toefl score, transcripts - a few things go into it... everyone gets a file. It used to be a paper file; it is more organized now that everything or almost everything is electronic.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 13:48
28$/ school is too high. If I m sending my score to ABC school, then obviously I will be paying the application fee to the school. Why 28$/ school is applied by Gmac? Just to raise funds or to discourage the mass send of score reports?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 19:42
bb wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

They will use your name, country, and the schools that do ask for it, may also use date of birth.
Schools assemble application packages and track if it is complete/incomplete since they need to get essays, recommendations, resume, gmat score, toefl score, transcripts - a few things go into it... everyone gets a file. It used to be a paper file; it is more organized now that everything or almost everything is electronic.

Thanks bb!!!

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 03:28
Hussain15 wrote:

The applications, along with the GMAC, use a number of unique identifiers to verify identity and connect scores.

Name, date of birth, address, soc # (for US citizens/work visas/perm residents), date of exam sitting, etc.

You do not submit anything other than your unofficial score in your application. The GMAC submits a file to the school with the scores released to the school.

Note: I have had to call the GMAC/the school (different schools) to ensure my score was submitted. Each time, the GMAC had submitted my score, the dots were not connected for some reason from the GMAC submission file to my application.

Edit: Looks like bb already got to this one...

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 04:07
rishabhsingla wrote:
Thanks for the info.

But yeah, I too am concerned about the same thing. GMAC would email me my official score report 20 days after my GMAT, and shouldn't I just attach a printed version of this "official" score report with all the applications?

yup and that 20 days just for sending it is completely illogical in this modern age of IT and promt service.I think DHL now a days can send document to any part of world with in 2-3 days....
so 20 days is totally illogical when you consider it may hamper someone's application process...
is $250 just for setting hard questions ?
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 10:17
frank1 wrote:
rishabhsingla wrote:
Thanks for the info.

yup and that 20 days just for sending it is completely illogical in this modern age of IT and promt service.I think DHL now a days can send document to any part of world with in 2-3 days....
so 20 days is totally illogical when you consider it may hamper someone's application process...
is $250 just for setting hard questions ?

So you're saying that one doesn't need to send one's "official" score via GMAC? It's okay to attach a print of one's official score report with the applications?
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 10:27
rishabhsingla wrote:

So you're saying that one doesn't need to send one's "official" score via GMAC? It's okay to attach a print of one's official score report with the applications?

No, your score MUST be submitted by the GMAC.

Contact your the admission committee at your schools of choice for more info.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 11:44
I have another question on this topic. What is if, I am still undecided between EMBA and Part-time program in the same school. Do I need to send it to both of these programs or just one? Later on, depending on which program I can apply, school will be able to take the scores?

Please let me know.
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 12:19
lalithajob wrote:
I have another question on this topic. What is if, I am still undecided between EMBA and Part-time program in the same school. Do I need to send it to both of these programs or just one? Later on, depending on which program I can apply, school will be able to take the scores?

Please let me know.

Again, we're not admission committees here.

You need to contact the school you are applying to. The reps at the schools will let you know where you need to submit. You may also check if there are multiple listings for GMAT score submission for one school, but to the different programs offered (through the GMAC and mba.com)

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 22:55
Expert's post
lalithajob wrote:

Please let me know.

You want to send them to 2 different programs, so yes, send them twice just in case. Programs are usually listed separately and may have a different admissions committee/administrator/etc.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 23:44
rishabhsingla wrote:

sorry for some what diverting from main tropic...

any way what i mean is
it takes around 20 days to send official score to you after you take the test and i think those 20 days(so long) is illogical in the rapid world of IT....
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 00:41
frank1 wrote:
rishabhsingla wrote:

sorry for some what diverting from main tropic...

any way what i mean is
it takes around 20 days to send official score to you after you take the test and i think those 20 days(so long) is illogical in the rapid world of IT....

This is the max. Every process has its maximum turn around. For the GMAC, it is 20 days.

Most people have reported scores are released within two weeks.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas, HBS, UNC, Duke, Kellogg, etc
WE 1: Investment Banking Domain, Functionally-Technology
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 02:33
well.. i hav a problem at hand....
there are 2 schools for whom i am going to apply on their 2nd deadline...

and the best part is my gmat is scheduled on the day of deadline... so can i ask gmac to send scores to those 2 schools as a part of 5 free schools at the time of exam, meanwhile i complete rest of the application from my side...

will my score reach those schools thru gmac on that same day????

plzz help...
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 14:50
Expert's post
admad10 wrote:
well.. i hav a problem at hand....
there are 2 schools for whom i am going to apply on their 2nd deadline...

and the best part is my gmat is scheduled on the day of deadline... so can i ask gmac to send scores to those 2 schools as a part of 5 free schools at the time of exam, meanwhile i complete rest of the application from my side...

will my score reach those schools thru gmac on that same day????

plzz help...

So, planning is not your strongest skill, huh? :lol:

It is usually acceptable to submit your self-reported score to the school and they they will verify later but that may or not always work. Check with school.

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: What's the use of sending GMAT scores directly to 5 schools?   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2010, 14:50