Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Word limits!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.97
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Word limits!!! [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 04:47
24 hours to go and I'm stuck trying to get my essays down from 2,200 to 1,600 words! Help...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Word limits!!! [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 05:06
This post received
KUDOS
dadekoya wrote:
24 hours to go and I'm stuck trying to get my essays down from 2,200 to 1,600 words! Help...

1600 words, 24 hours to go...is this for Stanford?

If so, I would use their 750 / 450 / 400 words as a guideline for each of your essays. Take a critical eye to whole sentences, even paragraphs, that aren't answering the question directly and be brutal about the cuts. You need to cut about 30% of your essay set, and I think the most efficient way is to remove an example (if you have 3+ in the essays) and then flesh out the remaining examples in a bit more detail.

With 24 hours to go, I'm not sure if the consultants will be able to turn it around for you, although you could try asking for expedited service...or whatever rush services they offer (do they?)

Having said all that though, if it is Stanford, and you're serious about this application, perhaps take the time to refine it into an application you're happy with, and submit in R2?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 42

Re: Word limits!!! [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 15:23
etta wrote:
dadekoya wrote:

1600 words, 24 hours to go...is this for Stanford?

If so, I would use their 750 / 450 / 400 words as a guideline for each of your essays. Take a critical eye to whole sentences, even paragraphs, that aren't answering the question directly and be brutal about the cuts. You need to cut about 30% of your essay set, and I think the most efficient way is to remove an example (if you have 3+ in the essays) and then flesh out the remaining examples in a bit more detail.

With 24 hours to go, I'm not sure if the consultants will be able to turn it around for you, although you could try asking for expedited service...or whatever rush services they offer (do they?)

Having said all that though, if it is Stanford, and you're serious about this application, perhaps take the time to refine it into an application you're happy with, and submit in R2?

This is great advice. I'm in the same boat!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Word limits!!! [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 19:21
This post received
KUDOS
When getting my essays down to the word limit, I found that I had two habits, which I learned to break.

1) Even in conversation, I tend to use two or more words that mean the same thing, when just one would do. For example, I might say something like "achieve the project's results or goals." Well, "results" and "goals" mean the same thing here. So I studied every sentence I had that contained an "or" to see if I could eliminate words.

2) The other thing I found was that you need to strike the right balance between providing enough detail so that the reader stays engaged with your story and follows the sequence of event vs. providing too much where you get bogged down and the reader is starting to lose the plot and probably will start to skim. I think this is especially true of work stories. B school admissions officers don't work in your industry and so they won't understand every minute detail that might be important to you because you actually do the job. And reading thousands of leadership project stories can get really repetitive.

So you do need to provide some detail and explain anything that needs explaining, but I found that I was trying so hard to *really* explain why the project was a success for my company that I lost sight of the larger message about leadership, teamwork, my confidence, etc.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Word limits!!! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 07:07
Another thing I would say is watch your adjectives and adverbs. A lot of times, you can replace these words with a strong action verb.
Re: Word limits!!!   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2013, 07:07