Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACCA
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink]
with the schools you are applying i think a retake should be considered unless you got a killer GPA. Diversity helps though :). Did you check your answers for verbal? 15 mins is a lot of time...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
with the schools you are applying i think a retake should be considered unless you got a killer GPA. Diversity helps though :). Did you check your answers for verbal? 15 mins is a lot of time...

I definitely think our friend here could score 700+ without much more prep. 15 minutes is a lot.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
shaselai wrote:

I definitely think our friend here could score 700+ without much more prep. 15 minutes is a lot.
Hussain15 wrote:

Hi Schemer, welcome to gmat club!!

I think your score is quite good. Just go through this thread to arrive a final decision.

Best of luck & keep us posted.

I guess not finishing the quant. spurred me to finish the verbal even faster. Do people read the passage before attempting the questions or do they concentrate on looking for the answers to the questions in the passage? I think I may have lost points because of my approach in RC.

I am planning to retake the test around this time next year (I would have to recover my OG12 :x ). I am thinking 2 months of preparation (3 hours a day average). I am currently preparing for CFA level 1 (June 2011)and would be concentrating on that for now but I intend to contribute on this forum and learn more about b-school.

I am planning to use the manhattan books for preparation (going the self study route). But where can I get 700+ level questions which are not outside the scope of GMAT?(I see that OG12 contains 600-700 level questions) and are there other books or materials I should seriously consider reviewing inorder to get a score in the top percentiles (especially for quant generally and DS specifically because I feel that I am still guessing in DS)? Also, should I put off buying any books until around June next year? Because I am thinking that some awesome books may be released within the next year or the manhattan books may be updated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
wow. you have a balanced score. you should be able to increase your quant and verbal with MGMAT books. I am trying my best to push from Q46 and V28 by using this forum and mgmat books.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
wow. you have a balanced score. you should be able to increase your quant and verbal with MGMAT books. I am trying my best to push from Q46 and V28 by using this forum and mgmat books.

I have read that the verbal books are great but I have not read much about the quant. books. Are the quant. books very good?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Congratulations !
690 is good enough considering the diversity factor in your case.

If you feel like retaking the GMAT, you should try and improve your verbal score. Did you use Manhattan Sentence Correction book during your prep? If not, then the book is highly recommended :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dokiyoki wrote:
Congratulations !

If you feel like retaking the GMAT, you should try and improve your verbal score. Did you use Manhattan Sentence Correction book during your prep? If not, then the book is highly recommended :)

I did not use any manhattan material. I would like to improve on both the quant. and verbal so I am also interested in getting a highly recommended quant. material especially for DS. Do you think I can significantly improve my quant. score with manhattan material and OG12?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
schemer wrote:
dokiyoki wrote:
Congratulations !

I did not use any manhattan material. I would like to improve on both the quant. and verbal so I am also interested in getting a highly recommended quant. material especially for DS. Do you think I can significantly improve my quant. score with manhattan material and OG12?

You seem to have good foundation in the Quant section hence i wouldnt recommend the entire set of 5 Quant books. But I would strongly recommend MGMAT Number properties book if you wish to buy one at all.

You might also want to visit a local library or a book store to go through the rest of books of the set and figure which best suits your preparation needs.

You can also try GmatClub Tests. Have heard great things about it !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You might also want to check this out: https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-books-77703.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dokiyoki wrote:

You seem to have good foundation in the Quant section hence i wouldnt recommend the entire set of 5 Quant books. But I would strongly recommend MGMAT Number properties book if you wish to buy one at all.

You might also want to visit a local library or a book store to go through the rest of books of the set and figure which best suits your preparation needs.

You can also try GmatClub Tests. Have heard great things about it !

I would like to know if the MGMAT books would be sufficient inorder to push my quant. score further (especially with algebra in DS)?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guess i wasnt 'to the point'.
MGMAT should definitely help improve your Q score.
I am not sure if there are any good books available specifically for DS.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
schemer wrote:
I am hoping to switch to investment banking or PE/VC post MBA. Do people trying to switch to PE/VC concentrate on entrepreneurship or finance or both at B-school? I am hoping to have part completed CFA when I apply and also to be much better able to articulate my expectations post MBA.

what should I try to achieve in the next two years to be more competitive when I apply and how important are extra-curricular activities to being accepted to top MBAs.

schemer wrote:
[Also, should I put off buying any books until around June next year? Because I am thinking that some awesome books may be released within the next year or the manhattan books may be updated.

I would also appreciate insights on the questions above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'll take a crack at your other questions (although the mod may move some of this discussion to another forum), but I would note that switching into PE/VC post-MBA, without any prior PE/investment banking/management consulting experience, is pretty difficult. I think that a concentration in finance makes would give you a bit more flexibility to move around (vs. entrepreneurship).

On the PE/VC front, you will have to pick a route and examine the reasons why you would like to go into that particular field. While they're both on the buyside, they're pretty different in what they do. In PE, most people come from backgrounds that are ex-investment banking or ex-strategy consultants. Sure, there are outliers, but you'll find that the large majority has a background in finance or business development. In VC, a lot of the work is built on relationships. Thus, a lot of VC shops tend to run 'lean'. Their associates usually trend older and know quite a bit about the businesses that they're investing in.

Investment banking, on the other hand, is a bit easier (on a relative basis) to break into post-MBA. A majority of the investment banks have pretty structured associate programs specifically geared towards post-MBA grads.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts