Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [15]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619186 [9]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [6]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:South Asian B-schools
 Q48  V18
Send PM
Re: A firm is divided into four departments, each of which contains four [#permalink]
Kudos
my approach

4 Dept (I,II,III,IV) with 4 people in each dept.

To choose 1st team member = we have 16 options (4 dept x 4 people)
To choose 2nd member = we have 12 options (3 dept x 4 people)
To choose 3rd member = we have 8 options ( 2 dept x 4 people)

unique teams = 16 x 12 x 8...i don't know where i am wrong ..help me ...

:(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A firm is divided into four departments, each of which contains four [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer is 4^4

Solution:
Each department has 4 people and we must select 1 person from each department: 4C1

There are 4 departments and we must form team of 3 people and no two person in the team must be from the same department: 4C1 * 4C1 * 4C1 * 4C0

Number of ways it can be arranged: 4

4*(4C1 * 4C1 * 4C1 * 4C0) = 4*4^3 = 4^4

Cheers
/Milap
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 609 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
@bhushan252
YOu calcualted the permutation, in which we consider a team (r, s, d) and (d,s,r) different. However they are same when it comes about selecting people.
SO divide you permutation result by r!
Permutation: n!/(n-r)!
Combintaiton: permutation/r!
so your result that is 16 x 12 x 8 divided by 3! is the answer that is 4^4 (B).
Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, I got the right answer, but i am not sure if my approach is right. Lets say we have only 3 groups from which we have to pick one person from each group. The the number of combinations would be 4*4*4. Now, since we have 4 groups and we need to pick three at a time, the number of ways we can do this is 4C1=4. Hence total number of ways u can pick 3 people (1 person from each grp) from four groups is 4 (4*4*4) = 4 ^ 4.

What if we had six grps, wud the answer be 6C3 * 4*4 *4 ? GMAT experts, please help.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619186 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anandnat wrote:
Guys, I got the right answer, but i am not sure if my approach is right. Lets say we have only 3 groups from which we have to pick one person from each group. The the number of combinations would be 4*4*4. Now, since we have 4 groups and we need to pick three at a time, the number of ways we can do this is 4C1=4. Hence total number of ways u can pick 3 people (1 person from each grp) from four groups is 4 (4*4*4) = 4 ^ 4.

What if we had six grps, wud the answer be 6C3 * 4*4 *4 ? GMAT experts, please help.

Correct. If there were 6 departments then: \(C^3_6\) # of ways to choose which 3 department will provide employee for the team and as each chosen department can provide with 4 employees then total # of different teams will be \(C^3_6*4*4*4=5*4^4\).

A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which contains four people. If a project is to be assigned to a team of three people, none of which can be from the same department, what is the greatest number of distinct teams to which the project could be assigned?
(A) 4^3
(B) 4^4
(C) 4^5
(D) 6(4^4)
(E) 4(3^6)

The same approach for the original question: \(C^3_4\) # of ways to choose which 3 department will provide employee for the team and as each chosen department can provide with 4 employees then total # of different teams will be \(C^3_4*4*4*4=4^4\).

Answer: B.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A firm is divided into four departments, each of which contains four [#permalink]
Bookmarks
A firm is divided into four departments, each of which contains four people. If a project is to be assigned to a team of three people, none of which can be from the same department,what is the greatest number of distinct teams to which the project could be assigned?
(A) 4^3
(B) 4^4
(C) 4^5
(D) 6(4^4)
(E) 4(3^6)

I did receive an explanation but did not really understand. My way to comprehend this was as follows,

Since there are 3 people to be choosen (and none can be repeated from the same department);
the number of ways to choose the departments are 4C3 ways. For selecting a person from each department is 4C1 X 4C1 X 4C1 ways. So the total number of ways (I presume my calculation is leading to distinct teams) is
4C3 X 4C1X 4C1 X4C1 ways= 4^4 ways. Could anyone please validate my thinking or correct me. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I'm trying to solve the problem using reverse combination approach.Please,Can anyone help.

Need to choose 3 people from 16 so 16C3.

No. of ways to choose 3 people from the same team 4C3.since there are four teams (4C3)^4

16C3 - (4C3)^4

=560-256

=304
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
klueless7825 wrote:
I'm trying to solve the problem using reverse combination approach.Please,Can anyone help.

Need to choose 3 people from 16 so 16C3.

No. of ways to choose 3 people from the same team 4C3.since there are four teams (4C3)^4

16C3 - (4C3)^4

=560-256

=304

First of all, this approach is complicated, convoluted and error prone. I'd go by Bunuel's explanation. Different permutation and combination problems are done using different methods. You just need to pick the most apt one for a specific type.

Anyway,

This is not entirely correct.
Number of ways to choose 3 people from the same team: 4C3. Correct
There are four teams: (4C3)^4. Not correct.

Remember, here you need to add the numbers not multiply because you choose from 1 OR choose from 2 OR choose from 3 OR choose from 4.

Secondly, you have missed out another case in which just 1 candidate is picked from 1 team AND 2 candidates are picked from another team. Because, that will also be the NOT one candidate from each team.

So, actual answer could be arrived by this:
\(Total=C^{16}_{3}=560\)

Picking all 3 candidates from just one team:
\(C^4_1*C^4_3=16\)
OR(i.e. +)
Picking 2 candidates from one team AND picking 1 candidate from one of the remaining teams
\(C^4_1*C^4_2*C^3_1*C^4_1=288\)

Total number of ways in which 1 candidate is NOT picked from each team
\(16+288=304\)

Now, to find the left-overs just subtract from total:
\(560-304=256=4^4\)

Ans: "B"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I'm still confused. How would this question be answered if I was using the slotting method?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619186 [3]
Send PM
Kudos