Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 09:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [4] , given: 247

CAT Tests
A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 09:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:02) correct 67% (00:54) wrong based on 69 sessions
A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. Does the list contain at least two consecutive integers?

(1) If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of different values in the list does not change.

(2) At least one value occurs more than once in the list.

A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E) Statement (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data are needed.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Last edited by honchos on 24 Jun 2014, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [4] , given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
ill reduce the numbers to 5

(1) If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of different values in the list does not change.
suppose the numbers are 1, 3, 5, 7, 9
a) If we increase any of the above numbers by 1 then the number of distinct value does not change.
The values are not consecutive.

b) suppose the numbers are 2, 2, 3, 6, 9
If we increase the value of 2 by 1 then the list will become 2, 3, 3, 6, 9
The number of distinct values still remains same. But the numbers are consecutive.
For this to happen two numbers need to be consecutive.

Two different answers, therefore 1 is not sufficient.

Clearly insufficient.

Both together will give us condition b discussed above.
Hence both are sufficient together.

Ans: C

Last edited by shank001 on 18 Jun 2014, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1131

Kudos [?]: 5169 [2] , given: 164

Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 02:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
honchos wrote:
A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. Does the list contain at least two consecutive integers?

Even though shank001 has provided a great solution above, I would like to give my thoughts on this question.

Here, it is easy to fall for statement 1. At first, it seems as if statement 1 is sufficient. Say, if any single value is increased by 1, it doesn't match any other value already there in the list, it means that there are no consecutive integers. What you might forget that when you increase a number by 1 is that one distinct integer is getting wiped out and another is taking its place!

But your statement 2 should give you a hint. Since statement 1 doesn't tell you that all values are distinct, statement 2 should make you think that you need to consider the case where one value occurs more than once in the list. In that case, is it possible that number of different values in the list does not change even though there is a pair of consecutive integers?

Say 5, 5, 6, 9, 20, 50, 57, 87 ... etc
Now if you increase 5 by 1, you get 6 and number of distinct integers stays the same! In this case, if there are no consecutive integers, the number of distinct integers will increase. Hence if the numbers are not all distinct and the number of distinct numbers needs to stay same, there must be a pair of consecutive integers.

This tells you that statement 1 is not sufficient alone and you need both statements to answer the question.

Takeaway - Just as when you get an easy (C), you must check whether the answer could be (A) or (B), when you feel that the answer is (A) or (B), you might want to check whether the other statement is necessary to establish any one statement alone.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 247

CAT Tests
Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 11:02
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
honchos wrote:

Even though shank001 has provided a great solution above, I would like to give my thoughts on this question.

Here, it is easy to fall for statement 1. At first, it seems as if statement 1 is sufficient. Say, if any single value is increased by 1, it doesn't match any other value already there in the list, it means that there are no consecutive integers. What you might forget that when you increase a number by 1 is that one distinct integer is getting wiped out and another is taking its place!

But your statement 2 should give you a hint. Since statement 1 doesn't tell you that all values are distinct, statement 2 should make you think that you need to consider the case where one value occurs more than once in the list. In that case, is it possible that number of different values in the list does not change even though there is a pair of consecutive integers?

Now if you increase 5 by 1, you get 6 and number of distinct integers stays the same! In this case, if there are no consecutive integers, the number of distinct integers will increase. Hence if the numbers are not all distinct and the number of distinct numbers needs to stay same, there must be a pair of consecutive integers.

This tells you that statement 1 is not sufficient alone and you need both statements to answer the question.

Takeaway - Just as when you get an easy (C), you must check whether the answer could be (A) or (B), when you feel that the answer is (A) or (B), you might want to check whether the other statement is necessary to establish any one statement alone.

Karishma (1) gives YES and NO so Insufficient
(2) Insufficient

Even (1) and (2) together Gives yes and NO situation So answer should be E.

Suppose 1,3,3, 5, 7, 9,11, 13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37.

from (1) and (2) IF WE INCREASE 3 then we may get consecutive Number, but it is not essential. The condition is of May so (1) and (2) also Gives Yes and No situation hence the answer is E.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 11:16
If we increase 3 to 4, then the first statement is violated - the number of distinct values should remain same after increasing value by 1.
To satisfy both stmt one and stmt two, we need to make sure that increase by 1 does not create a new number in the list.
this can be achieved only when there are two consecutive numbers on the list.

hope this helps.

honchos wrote:
honchos wrote:

(2) Insufficient

from (1) and (2) IF WE INCREASE 3 then we may get consecutive Number, but it is not essential. The condition is of May so (1) and (2) also Gives Yes and No situation hence the answer is E.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 6

Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

(1) gives YES and NO so Insufficient
(2) Insufficient

hi lets shorten this set that you have considered. Suppose we have only first 6 elements in the set.
i.e . 1,3,3,5,7,9

now number of different elements in the set are 5 (1,3,5,7,9)

if i increase 3 with 1 then number of different element in the set becomes 6 (1,3,4,5,7,9) which violates the statement 1

but if we increase 1,5,7 or 9 with 1, number of different elements remains same. therefore we can safely conclude that we definitely have at least 2 consecutive integers in the set.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5169 [0], given: 164

Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 19:08
Expert's post
honchos wrote:
(2) Insufficient

Actually the first statement says that if ANY number is increased by 1, the number of distinct values does not change. So the number of distinct values should stay the same for EACH value in the list. So when we increase the 3 by 1, the number of distinct values should not change. Hence the set given by you above is not possible.
It must be
1,3,3, 4, 7, 9,11, 13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 247

CAT Tests
Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 21:15
honchos wrote:
(2) Insufficient

Actually the first statement says that if ANY number is increased by 1, the number of distinct values does not change. So the number of distinct values should stay the same for EACH value in the list. So when we increase the 3 by 1, the number of distinct values should not change. Hence the set given by you above is not possible.
It must be
1,3,3, 4, 7, 9,11, 13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37

Right Karishma,

But If I would have seen this question directly on Gmat. I would have opted E.

Karishma any advice, last time when I gave my examination on December 10 2013 I scored Q50 V36, 710.

Any advice How to take somewhere between 750-770

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5169 [1] , given: 164

Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
honchos wrote:
Karishma any advice, last time when I gave my examination on December 10 2013 I scored Q50 V36, 710.

Any advice How to take somewhere between 750-770

With a Q50, most of your effort should be directed toward Verbal. Just continue practicing some Quant questions regularly so that your skills don't rust.
As far as Verbal is concerned, I assume you are average to above average in 2 question types and quite good in the third one. To hit V42, you need to be quite good in 2 of the three and average to above average in the third. Pick up one of CR, SC and RC and work extra hard in that to ensure that you are very good in at least two of the three question types.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. D   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2014, 00:20