Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [114]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [18]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [17]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [1]
Send PM
Re: A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
honchos wrote:
A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. Does the list contain at least two consecutive integers?

(1) If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of different values in the list does not change.

(2) At least one value occurs more than once in the list.

Even though shank001 has provided a great solution above, I would like to give my thoughts on this question.

Here, it is easy to fall for statement 1. At first, it seems as if statement 1 is sufficient. Say, if any single value is increased by 1, it doesn't match any other value already there in the list, it means that there are no consecutive integers. What you might forget that when you increase a number by 1 is that one distinct integer is getting wiped out and another is taking its place!

But your statement 2 should give you a hint. Since statement 1 doesn't tell you that all values are distinct, statement 2 should make you think that you need to consider the case where one value occurs more than once in the list. In that case, is it possible that number of different values in the list does not change even though there is a pair of consecutive integers?

Say 5, 5, 6, 9, 20, 50, 57, 87 ... etc
Now if you increase 5 by 1, you get 6 and number of distinct integers stays the same! In this case, if there are no consecutive integers, the number of distinct integers will increase. Hence if the numbers are not all distinct and the number of distinct numbers needs to stay same, there must be a pair of consecutive integers.

This tells you that statement 1 is not sufficient alone and you need both statements to answer the question.

Takeaway - Just as when you get an easy (C), you must check whether the answer could be (A) or (B), when you feel that the answer is (A) or (B), you might want to check whether the other statement is necessary to establish any one statement alone.

Karishma (1) gives YES and NO so Insufficient
(2) Insufficient

Even (1) and (2) together Gives yes and NO situation So answer should be E.

Suppose 1,3,3, 5, 7, 9,11, 13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37.

from (1) and (2) IF WE INCREASE 3 then we may get consecutive Number, but it is not essential. The condition is of May so (1) and (2) also Gives Yes and No situation hence the answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
If we increase 3 to 4, then the first statement is violated - the number of distinct values should remain same after increasing value by 1.
To satisfy both stmt one and stmt two, we need to make sure that increase by 1 does not create a new number in the list.
this can be achieved only when there are two consecutive numbers on the list.

hope this helps.

honchos wrote:
honchos wrote:
A list contains twenty integers, not necessarily distinct. Does the list contain at least two consecutive integers?

(1) If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of different values in the list does not change.

(2) At least one value occurs more than once in the list.

Even though shank001 has provided a great solution above, I would like to give my thoughts on this question.

Here, it is easy to fall for statement 1. At first, it seems as if statement 1 is sufficient. Say, if any single value is increased by 1, it doesn't match any other value already there in the list, it means that there are no consecutive integers. What you might forget that when you increase a number by 1 is that one distinct integer is getting wiped out and another is taking its place!

But your statement 2 should give you a hint. Since statement 1 doesn't tell you that all values are distinct, statement 2 should make you think that you need to consider the case where one value occurs more than once in the list. In that case, is it possible that number of different values in the list does not change even though there is a pair of consecutive integers?

Say 5, 5, 6, 9, 20, 50, 57, 87 ... etc
Now if you increase 5 by 1, you get 6 and number of distinct integers stays the same! In this case, if there are no consecutive integers, the number of distinct integers will increase. Hence if the numbers are not all distinct and the number of distinct numbers needs to stay same, there must be a pair of consecutive integers.

This tells you that statement 1 is not sufficient alone and you need both statements to answer the question.

Takeaway - Just as when you get an easy (C), you must check whether the answer could be (A) or (B), when you feel that the answer is (A) or (B), you might want to check whether the other statement is necessary to establish any one statement alone.

(2) Insufficient

from (1) and (2) IF WE INCREASE 3 then we may get consecutive Number, but it is not essential. The condition is of May so (1) and (2) also Gives Yes and No situation hence the answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

(1) gives YES and NO so Insufficient
(2) Insufficient

hi lets shorten this set that you have considered. Suppose we have only first 6 elements in the set.
i.e . 1,3,3,5,7,9

now number of different elements in the set are 5 (1,3,5,7,9)

if i increase 3 with 1 then number of different element in the set becomes 6 (1,3,4,5,7,9) which violates the statement 1

but if we increase 1,5,7 or 9 with 1, number of different elements remains same. therefore we can safely conclude that we definitely have at least 2 consecutive integers in the set.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
honchos wrote:
(2) Insufficient

Actually the first statement says that if ANY number is increased by 1, the number of distinct values does not change. So the number of distinct values should stay the same for EACH value in the list. So when we increase the 3 by 1, the number of distinct values should not change. Hence the set given by you above is not possible.
It must be
1,3,3, 4, 7, 9,11, 13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [0]
Send PM
honchos wrote:
(2) Insufficient

Actually the first statement says that if ANY number is increased by 1, the number of distinct values does not change. So the number of distinct values should stay the same for EACH value in the list. So when we increase the 3 by 1, the number of distinct values should not change. Hence the set given by you above is not possible.
It must be
1,3,3, 4, 7, 9,11, 13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37

Right Karishma,

But If I would have seen this question directly on Gmat. I would have opted E.

Karishma any advice, last time when I gave my examination on December 10 2013 I scored Q50 V36, 710.

Any advice How to take somewhere between 750-770
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
honchos wrote:
Karishma any advice, last time when I gave my examination on December 10 2013 I scored Q50 V36, 710.

Any advice How to take somewhere between 750-770

With a Q50, most of your effort should be directed toward Verbal. Just continue practicing some Quant questions regularly so that your skills don't rust.
As far as Verbal is concerned, I assume you are average to above average in 2 question types and quite good in the third one. To hit V42, you need to be quite good in 2 of the three and average to above average in the third. Pick up one of CR, SC and RC and work extra hard in that to ensure that you are very good in at least two of the three question types.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

I used the following approach and marked E as the answer:

Statement 1) If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of different values in the list does not change.

Here, I used 2 sample Sets:
A = {10,2,3};# of different values = 3
B = {10,2,2};# of different values = 2

Option 1: A(+1) = {11,2,3}; # of different values = 3
Option 2: A(+1) = {10,3,3}; # of different values = 2 Discarded because does not satisfy the condition of different values
Option 2: A(+1) = {10,2,4};# of different values = 3
Are the numbers consecutive? YES.

But before I say, 1) is sufficient, I went to Set B.

Option 1: B(+1) = {11,2,2}; # of different values = 2
Option 2: B(+1) = {10,2,3}; # of different values = 3; Discarded because does not satisfy the condition of different values
Are the numbers consecutive? NO.

Therefore, Insufficient.

Statement 2: At least one value occurs more than once in the list.
Set B = {10,2,2} satisfies the condition here, so I took that. But it does not have 2 consecutive integers. So, the answer to the question is NO.
and also, C = {10, 2,2,3,3}. It has 2 consecutive integers. So, YES.
Insufficient

Statement 1) and 2) together:
B = {10,2,2}; # of different values = 2
And, B(+1) = {11,2,2}; # of different values = 2
Are the numbers consecutive? NO.

C = {10, 2,2,3,3}; # of different values = 3
C (+1) = {11,2,2,3,3}; # of different values = 3
Are the numbers consecutive? YES.

Still insufficient.

Please explain where did I go wrong? Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Send PM
Kudos