Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User
A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 02:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

16% (02:21) correct 84% (01:24) wrong based on 209 sessions
16. A reason Larson cannot do the assignment is that she has an unavoidable scheduling conflict. On the other
hand, a reason Franks cannot do the assignment is that he does not quite have the assertiveness the task
requires. So, the task must be assigned to Parker, the only supervisor in the shipping department other than
Larson and Franks.

The argument depends on assuming which one of the following?
(A) Larson has the assertiveness the task requires.
(B) The task cannot be assigned to anyone other than a supervisor in the shipping department.
(C) Franks would be assigned the task if Franks had the assertiveness the task requires.
(D) The task cannot be assigned to anyone who has any kind of scheduling conflict.
(E) No one who is not a supervisor in the shipping department has the assertiveness this task requires.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 56

Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 02:53
I went with E, I am shocked with the OA. My reasoning is as below:

Conclusion: So, the task must be assigned to Parker, the only supervisor in the shipping department other than Larson and Franks.

Premise 1: Someone with unavoidable scheduling conflict cannot be assigned this task.
Premise 2: The assignee must be assertive.

Conclusion: The only remaining supervisor must be assigned the task.

So what is the underlying assumption?

Only the supervisors are assertive and no one else is... which is stated in E. Where as the OA talks about ANY scheduling conflict, whereas the argument is clearly saying Larson has UNAVOIDABLE scheduling conflict. so how come OA is D??

While this can be inferred from the argument, this is not an assumption.
(B) The task cannot be assigned to anyone other than a supervisor in the shipping department.
This also seems an inference than an assumption, hence eliminate.
(C) Franks would be assigned the task if Franks had the assertiveness the task requires.
This is obvious and not an assumption,
(D) The task cannot be assigned to anyone who has any kind of scheduling conflict.
ANY kind of scheduling conflict is stretching the info given in the argument. hence incorrect
(E) No one who is not a supervisor in the shipping department has the assertiveness this task requires.
The only remaining choice and also a good assumption that only supervisors have the assertiveness for the task. Correct

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 02:57
To be honest, none of the choices look good to be an assumption in this case.
Conclusion: The task must be assigned to Parker, the only supervisor in the shipping department other than
Larson and Franks
For me, the possible assumption : Task could be assigned to a supervisor with no unavoidable scheduling conflict and assertiveness required for the tsk

I selected B as only best among worst options. Negate B, we get The task can be assigned to anyone other than a supervisor in the shipping department., the conclusion falls part.

But none of the options look satisfying. Would like experts' inputs here.

What's the source?
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 03:06
I googled this question and OA is B while another doc says D. Confused :-(

Here are the links:

http://www.efflux.us/LAPTOPBACKUP%2011- ... 0%2345.pdf

http://student.kaptest.com/secure/pdf/T ... on-23b.pdf

Would like experts to comment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 29

Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 08:59
Chose B.
Was shocked to see D as the OA.
D is attacking only one part of the premise,ie assertiveness,while B is attacking the conclusion ie only Patrick,the supervisor,other that the two,in the shipping deptt.,can be selected.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1133

Kudos [?]: 5183 [4] , given: 164

Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
msj1234567 wrote:
16. A reason Larson cannot do the assignment is that she has an unavoidable scheduling conflict. On the other
hand, a reason Franks cannot do the assignment is that he does not quite have the assertiveness the task
requires. So, the task must be assigned to Parker, the only supervisor in the shipping department other than
Larson and Franks.

Argument:
Larson cannot do the assignment.
Franks cannot do the assignment.
Parker is the only other supervisor in the shipping department.

Conclusion: Parker must do it.

(B) is the correct assumption - The task cannot be assigned to anyone other than a supervisor in the shipping department. We are certainly assuming that since Parker is the only other supervisor, he must do the assignment. Only a supervisor in shipping dept can do the assignment.

This is not correct. Anyway, it says 'any kind of scheduling conflict' while the premises mentioned that Larson has 'unavoidable scheduling conflicts'. This implies there might be some scheduling conflicts which can be readjusted/avoided etc.
Even if the option had said "The task cannot be assigned to anyone who has an unavoidable scheduling conflict.", it would still not be an assumption because it is already given in the argument. So it is not a missing premise and hence not an assumption.

Answer (B)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5183 [1] , given: 164

Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 22:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatprav wrote:

ANY kind of scheduling conflict is stretching the info given in the argument. hence incorrect
The only remaining choice and also a good assumption that only supervisors have the assertiveness for the task. Correct

There are some issues here:

This cannot be inferred from the argument. The argument says 'A reason Larson cannot is unavoidable scheduling conflict...' There could be other reasons she cannot do the assignment and one of them could be that she doesn't have the assertiveness.

We are assuming this.

You jumped to: Parker must do it.
This means we are assuming that only a supervisor from shipping dept must do it.

Again, the argument says 'A reason Franks cannot do is lack of assertiveness'. There could be other reasons too. Also, even if Frank had the assertiveness, the assignment could still be given to Parker.

Not true. It is possible that people who are not supervisors in shipping dept are not allowed to do this assignment/don't have the required skills/have scheduling problems etc. The reason others are not allowed could be anything. We cannot assume that no one else has the required assertiveness.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 23:17
Thanks a lot for your input. Really helped. Honestly, I considered B best among worst looking at the premises and conclusion. Finally only when I applied negation,I got the correct answer.

In case of assumption questions, we can have so many assumptions but is it like the correct assumption need only attack the assumption or say fill the gap between premises, though not completely?

Because, for me, one of the the possible assumptions : Task could be assigned to a supervisor with no unavoidable scheduling conflict and assertiveness required for the task.

Please help me understand. Thanks.

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
msj1234567 wrote:
Larson and Franks.

Argument:

(B) is the correct assumption - The task cannot be assigned to anyone other than a supervisor in the shipping department. We are certainly assuming that since Parker is the only other supervisor, he must do the assignment. Only a supervisor in shipping dept can do the assignment.

This is not correct. Anyway, it says 'any kind of scheduling conflict' while the premises mentioned that Larson has 'unavoidable scheduling conflicts'. This implies there might be some scheduling conflicts which can be readjusted/avoided etc.
Even if the option had said "The task cannot be assigned to anyone who has an unavoidable scheduling conflict.", it would still not be an assumption because it is already given in the argument. So it is not a missing premise and hence not an assumption.

Answer (B)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 56

Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 02:46
Great! thanks for the reply karishma! I am glad to see D is not correct. And thanks for the analysis of my answer. I have a follow up question...

Regarding A, Since Larson was mentioned first, I assumed she had the assertiveness. Is it possible that given little more info such as "The only reason Larson was not assigned the task is she had unavoidable scheduling conflict..." A would then become an inference?

Also, inline with mba1382 query above, how best to differentiate between what to assume and what not to assume? I probably assumed way too much in E?

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

There are some issues here:

This cannot be inferred from the argument. The argument says 'A reason Larson cannot is unavoidable scheduling conflict...' There could be other reasons she cannot do the assignment and one of them could be that she doesn't have the assertiveness.

We are assuming this.

You jumped to: Parker must do it.
This means we are assuming that only a supervisor from shipping dept must do it.

Again, the argument says 'A reason Franks cannot do is lack of assertiveness'. There could be other reasons too. Also, even if Frank had the assertiveness, the assignment could still be given to Parker.

Not true. It is possible that people who are not supervisors in shipping dept are not allowed to do this assignment/don't have the required skills/have scheduling problems etc. The reason others are not allowed could be anything. We cannot assume that no one else has the required assertiveness.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5183 [2] , given: 164

Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 19:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mba1382 wrote:
Thanks a lot for your input. Really helped. Honestly, I considered B best among worst looking at the premises and conclusion. Finally only when I applied negation,I got the correct answer.

In case of assumption questions, we can have so many assumptions but is it like the correct assumption need only attack the assumption or say fill the gap between premises, though not completely?

Because, for me, one of the the possible assumptions : Task could be assigned to a supervisor with no unavoidable scheduling conflict and assertiveness required for the task.

Please help me understand. Thanks.

Assumption - A missing necessary premise. This post discusses each one of these words in detail - missing - necessary - premise: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/03 ... sumptions/

Check it out. An assumption must fill a gap that is required but it may not fill it completely.

Look at the breakdown of the argument:

Argument:

Does the conclusion follow from the given premises? No. A number of issues have not been dealt with.

What about now?

Argument:
Only a supervisor from the shipping department can do the assignment.
Parker has no scheduling conflict and has all the required skills.

Now is it a much tighter argument (though it may not be perfect)? Does your conclusion follow more naturally from the premises now? There could be many assumptions for a conclusion to be true. We need to find one of them (the given options will have only one assumption). It must be an assumption i.e. it must be true for the conclusion to hold.
If we find that a supervisor from another department can do the assignment, then 'Parker must do it' becomes false. It's not necessary that he MUST do it. Someone else can also do it.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 20:13
I chose 'B'. D can not be the correct answer as Franks did not have schedule conflict, however, did not get the assignment, not because of scheduling conflict but because of not having assertiveness.
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 21:54
Please modify the OA as B since expert inputs and web sources have B as OA.

msj1234567 wrote:
Larson and Franks.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 21:13
i believe that the answer is B not D.
the assumption is a new piece of info that supports the conclusion. answer D is not a new info. it is a restatement of one of the premises "A reason Larson cannot do the assignment is that she has an unavoidable scheduling conflict". answer D is an inference not assumption.
Re: A reason Larson cannot do the assignmen   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2014, 21:13