Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 07:35
watchout4me wrote:
Guys,
Is there any way to review the essays submitted in the GmatPrep practice tests? The review screen at the end of the test shows only quant and verbal questions.

No. Next time open a Word file and switch windows during your GMATPREP test.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 395 [1] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 04:19
This post received
KUDOS
I have been giving several CATs ahead of the real thing, and have some feedback on the same. I dont think there is any doubt that the GMAT-Prep CAT is very good and quite reflective of the actual thing. Apart from this, I have also given 3 MGMAT ones and 1 Kaplan one.

On the Kaplan test, I am not a 100% confident on how accurate the scoring is, but the standard of the test seemed pretty much inline

On the MGMAT tests, the tests are incredibly hard ! On the three tests I have given I got a q50, q50 and q51 so I think my quant is pretty good. But I see very little advantage in doing the kind of questions they have on the test. they are incredibly hard almost to the extent that I can't see them being part of the GMAT ... In every CAT I have given, I have gotten questions which are much much harder than anything inside the OG which is supposed to be the official source !
Even on the verbal sections, the difficultly level is pretty high. An observation I had is that I got a lot of CR and RC questions wrong almost more than the SC ones I got wrong, I found this surprising because this was contrary to all my observations while preparing. My theory is that there are a lot of "hairy" questions in there whose answers are not very obvious and can be argued one way or the other. As an example look at the two questions below :

In Q1, the same fact that is use to conclude (c) is the answer is used to conclude that (d) isnt !

In Q2, it is claimed that (e) is the answer, whereas in similar questions earlier I have seen explanations which would say that the use of "her" is misplaces in this choice since the subject of the sentence is Agatha Christie's travels and not Agatha Christie making "her" an orphaned pronoun and hence this choice is incorrect.

I might be ranting a bit, but it is frustrating doing tests, where the quest to make them harder and harder ends up making the questions unrealistic and confusing.
Attachments

File comment: SC Question
Q2.JPG
Q2.JPG [ 49.79 KiB | Viewed 5392 times ]

File comment: CR Question
Q1.JPG
Q1.JPG [ 119.22 KiB | Viewed 5392 times ]

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 10:38
shrouded1 wrote:
I have been giving several CATs ahead of the real thing, and have some feedback on the same. I dont think there is any doubt that the GMAT-Prep CAT is very good and quite reflective of the actual thing. Apart from this, I have also given 3 MGMAT ones and 1 Kaplan one.

On the Kaplan test, I am not a 100% confident on how accurate the scoring is, but the standard of the test seemed pretty much inline

On the MGMAT tests, the tests are incredibly hard ! On the three tests I have given I got a q50, q50 and q51 so I think my quant is pretty good. But I see very little advantage in doing the kind of questions they have on the test. they are incredibly hard almost to the extent that I can't see them being part of the GMAT ... In every CAT I have given, I have gotten questions which are much much harder than anything inside the OG which is supposed to be the official source !
Even on the verbal sections, the difficultly level is pretty high. An observation I had is that I got a lot of CR and RC questions wrong almost more than the SC ones I got wrong, I found this surprising because this was contrary to all my observations while preparing. My theory is that there are a lot of "hairy" questions in there whose answers are not very obvious and can be argued one way or the other. As an example look at the two questions below :

In Q1, the same fact that is use to conclude (c) is the answer is used to conclude that (d) isnt !

In Q2, it is claimed that (e) is the answer, whereas in similar questions earlier I have seen explanations which would say that the use of "her" is misplaces in this choice since the subject of the sentence is Agatha Christie's travels and not Agatha Christie making "her" an orphaned pronoun and hence this choice is incorrect.

I might be ranting a bit, but it is frustrating doing tests, where the quest to make them harder and harder ends up making the questions unrealistic and confusing.

Good post shrouded1. I also have struggled with these unusual CR and RC questions on the MGMAT CATs and now I will switch to Kaplan tests.

Scoring system apart, how do you compare the questions from Kaplan to the GMATPREP's ?

Thanks.

Last edited by MBAUncle on 16 Sep 2010, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 13:04
I agree completely with the fact that many of the CR and RC questions are skewed in MGMAT tests. Loose reasoning is a commonplace in MGMAT tests.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 04:04
This post received
KUDOS
I dont think the free Kaplan test is CAT. I tried taking the test for the second time and got exactly the same questions.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 23:57
nice info
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 10:39
what abt 800 score tests?i havent used them.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 10:45
heard that 800score is not CAT either... but i am not sure
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 21:53
Has anyone tried Grockit CATs ??
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1987

Kudos [?]: 6437 [0], given: 3569

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 21:54
Expert's post
diwagmat wrote:
heard that 800score is not CAT either... but i am not sure

I believe they have upgraded them to be CAT's just a few months ago.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 16:05
Does anyone have an experience with the MGMAT question banks? Not the CATs but the 25 question question banks you get with each book purchase? I've done a couple and they seem very hard, to the point where I have no idea on a good amount of the questions. I'm scoring anywhere from 610 to 660 on CAT exams, I have a month left until the exam and would like to get up to 700.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 19:59
Hi all, i need some help. I'm taking my GMAT in two weeks time and last night i took a practice test on the GMAT prep. I didn't do the AWA section because i mainly wanted to see how i fare in the verbal and quant sections. Apparently they showed how many questions i got right and wrong but didn't show me my score. Is that possible? The only thing button that was available was the End Exam button on the bottom left of the screen. Please help.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 09:53
Thank you for the comprehensive list.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 09:54
imanouw wrote:
Hi all, i need some help. I'm taking my GMAT in two weeks time and last night i took a practice test on the GMAT prep. I didn't do the AWA section because i mainly wanted to see how i fare in the verbal and quant sections. Apparently they showed how many questions i got right and wrong but didn't show me my score. Is that possible? The only thing button that was available was the End Exam button on the bottom left of the screen. Please help.

You skipped the score screen. There is no way to bring it back.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 05:25
Has anybody given the Free Kaplan test recently? I've visited previous forums which suggest that Kaplan is a very tough exam, both on quant and verbal. Honestly, I am not doing great in the practice tests! I gave MGMAT yesterday, scored 640 (Q47, V31) and in Kaplan, I scored 670 (Q45, V39) today. I found Kaplan test relatively easier though!

Can anybody tell me if Kaplan has made some changes to their practice tests and made it simpler now?

It's really difficult to judge your performances with such discrepancies(if any).

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 161

Kudos [?]: 833 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
Quant was easy for kaplan but verbal was convoluted.

The scoring of quant was quite hard but that of verbal was lesser harsh.

I got q47 with 2 mistakes.

Use all the tests -except gmatprep- for endurance and time management. Do not stress much on the scoring.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 19:24
Dear all,
I am looking to get some great practice on CAT practice tests before my GMAT in 3 weeks.

I see that there are many options. I think I am OK with spending up to $100 to get some test experience under my belt before the real thing.

The question is: Which is the best value for my money? I have only 3 weeks, so practically speaking, I have no real use for more than say, 6 or so practice tests.

If I did not miss out anything, the CAT options are, in no particular order:
1. Kaplan Premier
2. Manhattan CAT
3. GMAT Club online tests

Can anybody please advise on a product that would be most suitable for my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Manager
Manager
Schools: Penn State (Admit and Matriculating), Simon (R3-WL), Rady (R2-Admit w/$), Merage (R2-Ding w/o Interview), Rutgers (R2-Admit)
WE 1: Photo USA
WE 2: ASUS Computer International
WE 3: Cavium Networks

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 10:49
I'd say Manhattan Review would be the best bang for your buck. Amazing deal on Amazon.
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1987

Kudos [?]: 6437 [0], given: 3569

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 11:09
Expert's post
If you get a MGMAT Book (any one of them except OG companion or MGMAT Math Foundations), they all come with 6 online CAT tests.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 21:13
Dear bb,
Thanks for your advice.

I checked out the Manhattan Strategy guides on Amazon, and the Product Details does not mention anything about having access to 6 free CAT tests online for buying any of their guides. The Product Details page does, however, mention that I will get access to one of their online Question Banks for buying a guide book.

I have no particular use for any of these guide books, since I will be taking the GMAT in a few weeks. However, if buying a $17 guide book on Amazon means I will get 6 practice CATs, I'll get a book. I'm leaning towards the Number Properties book, since I might be a little rusty on the tricks the GMAT tests on prime factorization and such. What do you think?

Thanks!

Paul
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2010, 21:13