Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '18
Send PM
Re: Alternative approach to GMAT SC? MGMAT not helping much. [#permalink]
Have you taken a look at Powerscore SC? I had both Powerscore SC and MGMAT SC - after flipping through both, I was definitely a lot more comfortable with the way Powerscore was trying to cram information into my head. I also felt it was organized better too.

Besides that, if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch - I HIGHLY x100000 recommend getting the GMATClub Toolkit. Whenever you have a second (except maybe when you're in the bathroom) SOLVE SOME SC! Bookmark the ones you get wrong, and review them when you are in the right mindset for actual studying. You'll be amazed at how many you'll be able to go through in a regular day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I think the biggest trap in SC is the "yeah this answer sounds good to me". GMAT writers know that and will take advantage of it. One must be able to justify his answer using proper rules that rely on grammar, syntax, idiom, etc, just like we do for math.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
I think the biggest trap in SC is the "yeah this answer sounds good to me". GMAT writers know that and will take advantage of it. One must be able to justify his answer using proper rules that rely on grammar, syntax, idiom, etc, just like we do for math.

Yeah, but that's the difficult part. I don't sit and look at a sentence and think "remember your past participle rules! and the little exceptions!" There are like 20-30 major rules and exceptions to almost all of them, not to mention all the minor rules and idioms and concision preferences. The big rules like parallelism and subject-verb agreement are pretty much "sounds good to me" rules. You can't answering a question bad. You answer questions wrong. Can I technically explain why the former sentence is incorrect? Do I need to?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
I just started with the MGMAT SC book too and less impressed than the math books, exactly what you said the explanations rely too much on glossary terms that you really don't need to know. I was surprised since so many people recommended this book. I found the Kaplan 800 much better but have the same issues as you, it's mostly idioms or expression that trip me up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Michmax3 wrote:
I just started with the MGMAT SC book too and less impressed than the math books, exactly what you said the explanations rely too much on glossary terms that you really don't need to know. I was surprised since so many people recommended this book. I found the Kaplan 800 much better but have the same issues as you, it's mostly idioms or expression that trip me up.

Quick follow up:
After I wrote the original post I started doing a lot of the SC questions available here (they've helped out a lot), and I also ran through the whole Advanced series of questions in the OG Verbal book listed at the end of the MGMAT SC book. I did very well, only missing 3. Took the diagnostic test yesterday and only missed 1 on SC.

I have a feeling that the GMAC's SC questions are much more logical than the MGMAT's CAT exams, or even the GMAT 800's (which I've found to be pretty terrible, tbh). MGMAT's CAT relies on idioms and meaning, GMAT 800 relies on... really specific arcane rules (I was getting very frustrated on these, consistently scoring about 66% on these). Conversely, the questions from OG weren't exceptionally difficult at all. The right answer usually stood out quite clearly.

I'm kind of at a crossroads right now. I've found a pattern in some of the MGMAT and Kaplan 800 questions that I have not seen in OG, specifically in CR, SC, and Combinatorics/Probability (i.e., Comb/Prob is almost nonexistent on the real test).

For example, the Kaplan 800 and MGMAT like to use very specific, aggressive answers against "weaken the argument" CR. The MGMAT shies away from bringing in outside assumptions to any of their CR answer choices. I found myself answering towards these tendencies on the OG12 diagnostic test, and got both questions wrong.

EDIT: Even though the MGMAT SC book is a little tough, it's still pretty good overall. I haven't found another resource that breaks down all the rules well. When I got to the Idiom list on Ch. 9, most of the big Idioms (like vs. as, which vs. that) had been covered well in prior chapters.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2