Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: Alternative approach to GMAT SC? MGMAT not helping much. [#permalink]
Hi NewSc2, I think you are doing quite fine except SC & with a little effort on SC, you can reach a reasonable score.

My input in red below.

NewSc2 wrote:
Can anybody recommend some strategies and resources?

P.S. I'm a native speaker. I think what might be screwing me over is my job and background -- one of my primary job responsibilities is to write copies and ad material for my company. Everything I write needs to be concise and have flow. I'm also a big fan of William Zinsser's writing books, and these long-form, technical, detailed sentences are really throwing me off.

I went through the same phase initially but then after a lot of practice on this forum, I managed to bring my SC % up. Have you used the tag function here at this forum?? Do use that & you will feel great. There are every type of SC with detail explanations. Participate in forum & you will feel the difference.

P.P.S. Oh, and if it helps, I'm consistently finishing the Verbal section with lots of time left on the clock. Like 10 minutes or more. Probably a holdover habit from rushing through the Quant section, where I'm always left rushing through the last 5-10 problems.
If you are finishing in or before time, that's not a problem. Infact that's a great point, provided you are not doing bad in rushing through the problems.

Best of luck & keep us posted!!!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
NewSc2 wrote:
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
That's strange. With MGMAT SC I definitely improved my skills.

Maybe you went too fast and fell in their silly traps. It's very easy to get caught in SC.

How did you study off the MGMAT SC? Just read it a few times over? Take note of anything in particular?

As (or is it "like"? arrgghhh) I said, I'm not fully done with the book. I didn't fully grasp some of the quant books until I read over their advanced sections. Might finish up the book and do a couple quick re-reviews. I study pretty slowly though; it's taken me about a week to cover the first 10 chapters from MGMAT SC.

People normally do go through SC book atleast twice, some go through even 3-4 times. If you do make notes while studying, that will be great too. Error log is also a must, so do maintain one.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2931 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
I would recommend making notes while reading the book, very helpful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I had a similar problem when using the SC guide. I'd never formally learned grammar so all the "present past perfect" and "gerunds" thrown around in the answer explanations really didn't help me (I felt like I was having to learn a second language so massive kudos to the non-native speakers using this book!).

Unfortunately I didn't have time to go through the book a second time before my GMAT as I bought the book quite late, but I would agree with the comments above regarding taking notes and re-covering the content. I came away from my one (and only) pass through the book with maybe half a dozen high level notes some of which were broken down into 3 or 4 sub rules. This seemed to be good enough for me personally in changing my average performance into pretty good although if I'd had time to cover it again I do think I'd have improved.

I would suggest that you do look at the OG12/Verbal guide questions each section points you to though as I didn't find the exercises in the book that helpful in linking the content to GMAT style questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yes I do take notes. The book has too much information to review it more than once, so I read my notes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy,IT management
 Q0  V0 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
Send PM
Hi NewSc2,
Since mgmat SC is not working for You i will say you to try out GMAT PILL method for SC..You can seperately buy that SC part for soething arnd 74$ i dnt know exactly.Its a video based concept explaination method and their SC has very GOOD reviews..they have explaination for 600 level and 700 level questions also..so that will be of great help to u.. :)
Also they have recently introduced quiz portion....

thanx
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi Sandeep, can u share your experience for gmat pill?? What were the pros & cons in your opinion??

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
I have done Mgmat Sc 3 times and my accuracy on OG12 is 63%. I have started Mgmat SC again with a hope to improve this % in my second attempt of OG.

My advice to you is to persevere and take help from any grammar book for the topics you do not understand from Mgmat SC. It is quite comprehensive and with revision it will certainly improve.

Taking notes will help you too.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Hussain could you please provide more details how you improved your Sc with some stats such as you were at x% accuracy and with y% of preparation and following z approach you were able to hit the rate of a%.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
besides problem sets from gmat club and other books you could also try different ways to improve like reading periodical such as wallstreetjournal or even a good book. I know when i was "stuck" at SC i took Knewton and being taught by someone else opened my eyes to SC and it just "clicked".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
besides problem sets from gmat club and other books you could also try different ways to improve like reading periodical such as wallstreetjournal or even a good book. I know when i was "stuck" at SC i took Knewton and being taught by someone else opened my eyes to SC and it just "clicked".

Would you recommend MGMAT SC or Knewton for SC?

Thanks,
Dawg
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
I'll suggest you to try Veritas guides, I have heard great things about those guides.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
I really did not like the MGMAT SC either. I feel like it overcomplicated things and quite a bit was not intuitive. I suggest you try the Powerscore SC. I only used the Powerscore CR but their style of teaching was very easy to follow.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Haha! I just completed my first MGMAT test and got the same score as you 630! I also finished 20 minutes before the bomb goes off. My SC was okay though (I only studied 2 chapters of MGMAT SC), but my CR (studied with PowerScore CR) was bad.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello, everyone:

Good thread - I've heard pretty good things about MGMAT's SC lessons, but one thing I'd caution anyone against with Sentence Correction is simply trying to memorize their way to success on these questions. It can be done...but for most of us it's probably pretty inefficient to try to brute-force learn all of the individual rules and applications.

You'll find that the GMAT:

Frequently tests the same few major error categories - Subject/Verb and Pronoun Agreement; Parallel Structure (comparisons, lists, etc.); Verb Tense; Modifiers; Logical Meaning of sentences
    Sporadically includes rare idioms (e.g. instead of vs. rather than; different from vs. different than)
    Almost never requires you to know one of the rare idioms, and almost always gives you an opportunity to avoid those by focusing more on the higher-level, recurring errors
    Very frequently tries to "hide" the major errors by including excess description, idiomatic differences in answer choices, etc.
So, as you study you should attempt to become really comfortable with the major errors, and train yourself to look proactively for those. Those are the things you know you can do well...the more obscure idiomatic or stylistic things can help you if you know it, but can hurt you if you put too much time and energy into trying to learn those at all costs. You'll end up "missing the forest for the trees" by overlooking major error types while stressing over the obscurities.

While you're looking for those major errors, see if you can shorten the sentences by glossing over adjectives, adverbs, and modifiers-without-errors. If you're comfortable with the major errors, they'll pop off the screen for you when you're reading fewer words.

For example:

Questions on the GMAT's Sentence Correction section, which employs descriptive modifiers like this one that I'm currently typing to obscure major errors like subject-verb agreement, tests your problem solving skills by requiring you to find the major errors despite long, unwieldy sentences.

If you eliminate the modifier in commas, and streamline the subject ("on the GMAT's SC section is also a modifier), it should be pretty clear that "Questions...tests..." is wrong. Questions would have to go with "test" - a major subject/verb agreement error that the GMAT will try to disguise on you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Brian -- I'm not sure if I just ran into a bad slate of MGMAT SC questions on the CAT exam, but I pretty easily notice all the large errors. The singular/plural actions, modifiers modifying a questionable clause, etc. Those are the first things I check for, and can easily cross them off.

Looking back on the SC questions I got wrong -- most of them I crossed off 3 wrong choices, and went back and forth between 2 before picking the wrong one. Mostly idiomatic and concision rules. For example:

"People debate *whether* X led to Y"
- Instead of leaving it as *whether*, I chose *about whether*, because I didn't think "debate whether" was the correct idiomatic usage. I thought people "debate about" things. I was wrong (*whether* by itself was right). Another choice I was mulling over was *if*. The answer explained *if* is supposed to lead to a future proposition, but *if* in that context is (incorrectly) used all the time in casual language.

"*Though he had had* success in his ventures, X opted out to pursue a different venture in favor of less regulation."
- I thought "he had had" sounded incorrect. So I chose *Even though he had*, but the sentence is correct as is. To me, "Even though he had success" was still past perfect, but MGMAT explained that it was just simple past (he had). So "had had" was correct, even though it sounded casual.

I mean, I understand these explanations after the fact, but who doesn't? These aren't major rules that the sentences violate. Almost every other question I got wrong was down to a little detail like that. The large subject-verb disagreements, tenses, and modifiers aren't too hard to spot.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey, NewSC:

Thanks for sharing those. That second one is definitely a verb tense error that they try to disguise with the "it sounds wrong" use of the word "had" twice.

The original "had" is the verb ("had success" means "possessed success" or "experienced success"..."success" on its own is not a verb, so you need some kind of past-tense verb there), and because this sentence involves a clear sequence (the person had success before deciding to opt out), the past-perfect use of "had" is necessary to grammatically make that distinction. You could also rewrite it with a different verb:

Even though he had experienced success, he nonetheless opted out...

"had" as a past-tense verb just takes the place of "experienced". The "experienced" example should note the need for "had" as a past-perfect indicator...the double "had" is just a clever device to make a verb-tense question look like an awkwardness/style/it-sounds-wrong question.

On the first one, think about this for "if" - what's the difference between:

I debate if someone has a different viewpoint

and

We debated if a national healthcare system would work

In the first it's pretty clear that I debate whenever someone has a different viewpoint...that viewpoint is the condition under which I debate. In the second, you'd think that it's clear that we debated whether a national healthcare system, but "if" is an unclear modifier in that case - grammatically it isn't different from the first case (could it be that our group would debate if and only if a national healthcare system was working at the time?).

It may seem like a stretch, but if you look at "if..." as a modifier, you can check it off as a clarity-of-meaning issue. "If" leaves ambiguity as to the meaning, whereas "whether" does not. Putting a reason to those errors can be pretty helpful as you study, because then the test is much more logical than a quick-recall knowledge test. If the major error categories are your guiding principles, you can figure almost any of these out without having to rely on "that's just the rule". There are certainly some SC questions in the Official Guide and in other places that seem to require pure-memorization idioms, but I've talked to some of the authors of the GMAT and they maintain that SC is as much a problem solving test as any other question type, and that "higher-order thinking" is what they're after.

Please note, I'm not completely campaigning against knowing idioms...I'd just much rather that people on any section of the test try to place some order on why the rules they're using are logically true, since that's a skill that you can replicate over and over again, whereas just plain memorization can be hit-or-miss, and isn't what the GMAT is really about.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2