Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Alternative ways to study after taking first GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kwel wrote:
Thank you so much for your input!! You're correct, I am young (and stupid!) and am now a lot more confident in my new study plan.

Ha-ha. No worries at all. Inexperienced would be the word ;-)
You can also check this out: GMAT Schedule - this will help you organize things a bit better (look on the second page for the 2014 version of the file i posted).
If you have any questions - just search. It is answered here.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Alternative ways to study after taking first GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
kwel wrote:
I took the GMAT about month ago, and got a 560. I am now again studying for the test but know that I should tweak the way I study. Unfortunately I did not discover this awesome forum before I took the first test. Would love it if you guys could chime in and let me know if you think I'm on the right course.

This is how I studied the first time:
- I checked out an old GMAT book by Peterson's from the local library. I completed the book and took all nine available practice tests
- I did the practice problems and two practice tests from the GMAT software provided by GMAC.
- Used the free one week GMAT tutoring trial from the Economist. Did the practice test.
- Did practice problems with an iPad GMAT app.

I scored Q35, V32, AWA 4 IR 5 for a total of 560.

This is how I plan to study this time:
- I purchased the MGMAT set of books
- I purchased OG15

Am I on the right track to working to get a higher score? Thanks in advance 8-)

Hi kwel , :)

As someone who is preparing for GMAT I would like to share how I prepare , which books I refer to etc

Time
2-3 months

Books Used:
OG 13th edition Book , Quantitavie Review , Verbal Review , 700-800 Question Set on GMAT club forum .
Maintain Error Log
Download the Excel Sheet of Question of OG 13 . This helps . Trust me!
Manhattan GMAT SC , RC , CR Books . Fab Books .
Kaplan Premier Book .
2 CATs and questions from mba.com
CATs from Manhattan GMAT , Kaplan GMAT , Princeton Review GMAT , GMAT Club Tests atleast 50 Full Length Tests atleast . ( Though sounds heavy , yet its my way of looking at GMAT since I am a non native speaker and a slow learner .
Free Videos and articles on Youtube, GMAT PrepNow, etc.
Follow GMAT Club Forum

Studying:
Usually 6-9 hours on weekdays . MUST!
Usually 10-12 hours on Saturdays and Sundays. Usually 1 CAT on the weekend with review (weekend usually included going back to redo old questions, even questions I got right before) MUST!

Advice:
1) The books were pretty good, but there’s a lot of advice that conflicts from book to book, so it takes a little while to figure out what’s true and what’s not. The OG 13th edition is a MUST HAVE.
2) Find an expert to work with. Use a course or a tutor.
3) There’s a lot of bad advice out there about pacing, representative questions, etc. (and the problem is a lot of it’s free). Be suspicious. If you practice something for a full month and it doesn’t work, then it’s not going to help you hit your goal. Be prepared to learn some new things.
4) Stay calm and write everything down. GMAT questions are actually pretty straight forward if you just stay organized.
5) The Quant section is NOT a math test and the Verbal section is NOT a vocabulary test, so don’t treat them like they are.
6) Learn which questions to avoid.
6) Take the breaks, no matter how good you feel. Have a snack, a drink and run to the bathroom.

All the best bud!
Regards
GMAT Club Bot
Alternative ways to study after taking first GMAT [#permalink]