Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 04:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 17:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

95% (01:46) correct 5% (00:00) wrong based on 49 sessions
Analysts blamed May’s sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.
(A) colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed
(B) which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing
(C) since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed
(D) being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing
(E) having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 438 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # May's sales [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 18:11
kt00381n wrote:
Analysts blamed May’s sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.

A and C out
which incorrectly refers to "regions" .. it means regions slowed the sales .

Its between B and D.

slowing modifies "unexcited merchandise and weather"

B looks good.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # May's sales [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 10:53
I will go with A.

"slowing" begins adverbial clause and distorts the meaning. It was the weather, which slowed the sales. the clause between "weather" and "which" in the original sentence is a modifier to "weather".
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # May's sales [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 11:30

Only B is clear. both "which" are wrong in A and C.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # May's sales [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 12:02
kt00381n wrote:

which is referring to regions -- wrong-- A, C are out.

D out for being ( easy one)
E -- awkward ...

B wins.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC # May's sales [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 17:35
My pick is B.
which - this clearly refers to the weather and
slowing - this is acting like a Noun
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # May's sales [#permalink] New post 08 May 2009, 07:56
IMO B

(A) colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed --> colder and wetter here will incorrectly modify for retail sales rather than weather. which after the commas also wrongly modifies for regions, meaning that regions slowed the sales
(B) which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing -->which best modifies for weather. Slowing ... also correctly modifies for unexciting merchandise
(C) since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed --> itdoes not clearly modify for any Noun. Besides, same error as A
(D) being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing -->being is mostly wrong, usually is also wrong used
(E) having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed -->complicated structure, distorted original meaning
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 04:16
kt00381n wrote:

Hi,

I know the correct answer is B, but my understanding is that "slowing..." as a participial phrase modifies the entire main clause - "Analysts blamed...". Meaning analysts blame is the reason for slowing of sales. Or, is the participial phrase selectively modifying a part of the main clause? If so, could you please help me in a systemic way of identifying the noun modified by the participial phrase.

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1124 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 04:28
This post received
KUDOS
kiranck007 wrote:
Hi,

I know the correct answer is B, but my understanding is that "slowing..." as a participial phrase modifies the entire main clause - "Analysts blamed...". Meaning analysts blame is the reason for slowing of sales. Or, is the participial phrase selectively modifying a part of the main clause? If so, could you please help me in a systemic way of identifying the noun modified by the participial phrase.

Thanks.

"which (the weather) was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing"

"slowing" refers to the weather, not to the analysts. How could analysts slow sales of barbecue grills?

Generally speaking the ING form can be found in two ways:
1)COMMA + -ING, in this case it modifies the preceding clause (it is used to show the results of an action as in this case most of the times)
2)"ONLY" -ING, in this case modifies the preceding noun or noun phrase.

Both ing forms refers to the preceding clause/name. Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1517 [1] , given: 247

Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The concept of the present participle (verb+ing) modifying with or without the comma preceding it has the following significance IMO. Of course, as Zorralou has rightly said, without the comma, there is not much confusion, as it forthrightly modifies the preceding noun.
But in the case of the comma preceding, we all know it modifies the entire preceding clause. What exactly is meant by the preceding clause? Some have said it is the subject, some others say it is the verb because it is an adverbial modifier. May be they are correct in their own right. But more importantly, and very often, it highlights the gist of the entire preceding clause and not just a part of it.
Let’s see how in this given case; Now, slowing is the participle under question. Something has caused the slowing. Is it the weather alone or the unexciting merchandise alone or both put together? You will appreciate it is both together that have contributed to the slowing. Logically analysts cannot contend for being modified as, their job is just to pass appropriate comments. So the modified parts are really the merchandise and the weather put together, both noun forms objects of the verb blamed; so, the whole gist is about the result of some things impeding something collectively in the context.

In the light of the above, we have to dump all the choices that pinpoint something with a relative pronoun, (which) Choices A and C fall under this category. Choice E uses the verb –slowed- as an action of the noun weather, which is a fractured meaning from the original intent.
Between B and D, both use the verb+ ing preceded by a comma. But the use of ‘being’ colder and wetter in D is unnecessarily superfluous; being used as a modifier of weather, is not acceptable; B even without the word being is crisp and tidy.
So B overrides D.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 20:19
daagh wrote:
The concept of the present participle (verb+ing) modifying with or without the comma preceding it has the following significance IMO. Of course, as Zorralou has rightly said, without the comma, there is not much confusion, as it forthrightly modifies the preceding noun.
But in the case of the comma preceding, we all know it modifies the entire preceding clause. What exactly is meant by the preceding clause? Some have said it is the subject, some others say it is the verb because it is an adverbial modifier. May be they are correct in their own right. But more importantly, and very often, it highlights the gist of the entire preceding clause and not just a part of it.
Let’s see how in this given case; Now, slowing is the participle under question. Something has caused the slowing. Is it the weather alone or the unexciting merchandise alone or both put together? You will appreciate it is both together that have contributed to the slowing. Logically analysts cannot contend for being modified as, their job is just to pass appropriate comments. So the modified parts are really the merchandise and the weather put together, both noun forms objects of the verb blamed; so, the whole gist is about the result of some things impeding something collectively in the context.

In the light of the above, we have to dump all the choices that pinpoint something with a relative pronoun, (which) Choices A and C fall under this category. Choice E uses the verb –slowed- as an action of the noun weather, which is a fractured meaning from the original intent.
Between B and D, both use the verb+ ing preceded by a comma. But the use of ‘being’ colder and wetter in D is unnecessarily superfluous; being used as a modifier of weather, is not acceptable; B even without the word being is crisp and tidy.
So B overrides D.

Ok, IMO, If the participial phrase is at the beginning of a sentence set off by a comma then there is no confusion as it modifies the subject of the following clause. Problem is when participial phrase is at the end of a sentence set off my by a comma. Just one additional question, If a participial phrase comes in the middle of a sentence set off by commas, will it modify the preceding clause or the subject of a following clause: I may not have an appropriate example here, please help.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1517 [0], given: 247

Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 21:46
Expert's post
As I see the issue, as long as it does not start a sentence, the present participial, whether in the middle or at the end of a sentences, should fall in line with modifying the entire gist.
EG: The tribal of the pre-agro era who knew no other means of food preparation, hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds, resorted to controlled fires for cooking their staple diet.
Here the modifier - hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds-placed in the middle modifies not only the tribal but also their lack of knowledge of other means of food preparation. You might call it a noun phrase, but that modified part should carry the gist of the clause or phrase in toto.

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 22:27
daagh wrote:
As I see the issue, as long as it does not start a sentence, the present participial, whether in the middle or at the end of a sentences, should fall in line with modifying the entire gist.
EG: The tribal of the pre-agro era who knew no other means of food preparation, hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds, resorted to controlled fires for cooking their staple diet.
Here the modifier - hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds-placed in the middle modifies not only the tribal but also their lack of knowledge of other means of food preparation. You might call it a noun phrase, but that modified part should carry the gist of the clause or phrase in toto.

My Question had one more point. Does "hunting and eatin....." always modifies "The tribal" or it can also modify "resorted to controll....". It may not make sense here.
Putting it in general, does participial phrase in the middle of a sentence modifies the preceding clause or a following clause? Getting my point? Because, I have seen examples( i don't have them now) where participial phrase modifies the following clause. Is there a standard rule? Or is it case dependent?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1517 [1] , given: 247

Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It may not be a general rule since many rules can bend to the need of the context in question. Here in this case, how can hunting animals in the wild modify -resorted to controlled fire. Both are totally different factors. But if you have seen some examples where a middle-sentence modifier modifies what comes what after, then we have to definitively see the context. Even before seeing the premises, how can we formulate the conclusion? Modification means a definite change in the nature of the thing modified, either in the form of additional info, or leading to an outcome from the facts mentioned etc etc; modification isn't just indication. It is inter-relation.

I do see, my professments may have lot of contrarian happenings. I am interested in knowing them.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 10:44
Expert's post
Got it Correct.

Which modifies the noun preceeding it, in this case it is the 'regions', which is incorrect. So A n C go off
in E, 'and' creates a new sentence with no subject so it is a fragment.
in D, 'being' is used which is wrong
So B is correct

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 10:48
Expert's post
i am noticing lot of people misguides others with their wrong diagnostic of the questions. i would request the admin to filter of those posts.

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 20:42
As I can see the posts there is a confusion on -Ing modifier:

So here it is used in 3 ways

(1). To Modify NOUN

Using high technology, the engineer fixed the machine.

(2). To modify Verb and Verb's subject

I fought with my friend, making him cry.

Who made him cry= I
Action of fighting made him cry = fought

(3). To present the result of the main clause

The company is in debt after loss in first quarter,minimizing its costs in the second quarter.

minimizing=action
The company.... First quarter is considered a NOUN PHRASE

So NOUN PHRASE + ACTION

Hope it helps

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Analysts blamed Mays sluggish retail sales on unexciting   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2013, 20:42