Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Re: Anderson(UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all Admitted Students [#permalink]
Yes, that makes sense since I got my fellowship offer on Jan 28th.

Ji Choi confirmed that they got my fellowship acceptance. I'm amazed that she replied my email within 2 minutes!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
lowrys11 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:
lawgirl27 wrote:

Hey mgh234, I think you are overthinking but I guess it is normal, as choosing what b-school to go is a huge decision! anyway, any of the schools you are considering would be an excellent choice!

Being said that, here are my two cents: all of the schools you are considering will offer you the opportunity to enter consulting or finance, I truly don't think that you will be in a worse position in any particular school.
Particularly about UCLA, I have spoken with many students that made a career switch to consulting (entering McKinsey and BCG) or to finance (landing excellent jobs in banks such as JP Morgan). They told me that they did not find it more difficult than some friends they had in other schools like Booth and Columbia. The good think about UCLA is that less students will be interested in pursuing careers in finance and consulting (as most people are interested in entrepreneurship and Media and entertainment) which means less competence. Also, I do not know about consulting but UCLA is really strong in finance.

Of course, if you prefer any other schools for other reasons, that is a completely different story!

In my case UCLA has always been my first choice mainly because of personal fit with the school and its community :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I actually work at JPMorgan investment bank now, but in a non-front office project role. If I attend UCLA, I may consider trying to jump to FO finance since UCLA is stronger there. Although, I wonder what % of the finance jobs are front office...I was speaking to a friend from Duke MBA, and some of the people they send into consulting are "human capital consulting" not management consulting, and some of the people they send to Citigroup/JPMorgan are consumer bank rotational programs and operations, not the investment banking. It's tough to get an accurate picture from the employment reports I guess. I'm just very concerned about the ROI overall, since I'm very close to the post-mba starting median salaries at a lot of these schools, and certainly would be above them by the time I graduate if I stayed on my current path (while having a 40 hour work week). Wouldn't mind it if I can get a better long term career path, but not even sure if that's the case anymore. I'm worried I'll graduate with $100k+ in debt, same pay I would've made, worse hours, and further away from VP than I am now (I'd get VP in my current job in 2 years). Plus, I've gotten pretty serious with my girlfriend and leaving for 2 years will be difficult.

On the other hand, I'm not very happy on my current career path and feel like I could do a more prestigious/interesting job (I graduated during height of financial crisis, and lost a front office offer I thought I had), and I've been in NYC for 9 years and really want an opportunity to live somewhere else. I've wanted to live in LA for years, and I have a lot of good friends who live there. I just wish I could get some more clarity around what % chance I'd have at getting a pure front office finance or management consulting job. The employment reports only tell you company (which isn't useful) not the divisions, and they only throw their most successful students at you for discussions, so it's tough to get a good gauge.

Hey, I hear you on that. I am in a similar boat as you, have been doing either IBD or equity research in the bulge bracket for the last 7 years, made A2A and will make VP this April. Seems like the increasing experience requirements for MBAs have kinda dislocated typical finance career trajectories. This is my two cents though, the Anderson level schools will give you a shot at front office, but its not going to be lev fin at GS, something more like industry group at Wells Fargo or something like satellite BofaML (not judging either one either way, but I think everyone can recognize they are two different lifestyles/trajectories). That has been the experience of my friends at Tepper/Ross as well. PM me if you wanna chat on these topics as I am trying to wrap my head around career trajectory/switching as well.

Thanks! Were your friends part-time or full time at Ross? I'd love to hear more examples of the finance (or consulting) jobs people were able to get.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I was admitted during rd1 and got $$$. Super excited about Anderson. I currently live (and love) LA. And am hoping to end up in biotech/pharma on the West Coast.

Anybody have similar healthcare or biotech/pharma interests at Anderson? Advice or resources you'd recommend?

ALSO, I'm dying to know.. anybody know statistics on number of people getting scholarships at Anderson and other competitive schools? How did I manage to trick them into liking me so much? haha :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
iceemano wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was admitted during rd1 and got $$$. Super excited about Anderson. I currently live (and love) LA. And am hoping to end up in biotech/pharma on the West Coast.

Anybody have similar healthcare or biotech/pharma interests at Anderson? Advice or resources you'd recommend?

ALSO, I'm dying to know.. anybody know statistics on number of people getting scholarships at Anderson and other competitive schools? How did I manage to trick them into liking me so much? haha :shock:

Congrats iceemano!

I was also admitted R1 but no $$$. I'll do my best to ask nicely for scholarship consideration. I've just sent my deposit today, and cannot wait to get started! I love the buddy system they provide as well as the fact that the Management Consulting Association reached out to me (my career goal) and already have a few things on my to-do list to prepare for the upcoming year.

As for your question, I would go ahead and check the club website or just ask any current students to put you in touch with those in healthcare or biotech/pharma. Linkedin is a great way to find people and reach out as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.57
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Matriculating as of today, right on the deadline! Very excited to move to LA and meet the rest of you.
Director
Director
Send PM
BinyaBinyaPollywog wrote:
Matriculating as of today, right on the deadline! Very excited to move to LA and meet the rest of you.

I'm debating duke versus UCLA...if you don't mind me asking, what was your decision process in choosing ucla over ross?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE:Programming (Investment Banking)
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:

I'm debating duke versus UCLA...if you don't mind me asking, what was your decision process in choosing ucla over ross?

Several reasons:

- LA weather... I'm completely and utterly done with this snow.
- I already attended Michigan for undergrad and have an existing network there
- UCLA seems to have better job placement in the entertainment/media and technology industries, my top two industry interests... this is a list of the top hiring firms for the Class of 2013 at UCLA (defined as 5+ students hired). In bold are companies that are also considered top hiring firms at Ross (to Ross's credit, they had better placement at Cisco and Apple). Plus UCLA has a handful of one- or two-of hires at companies I'd consider working for (Electronic Arts, Riot Games, Netflix, among others)

Amazon
Mattel
Google
Adobe
Microsoft
Sony
Symantec
VMware
Walt Disney
Warner Bros.

- I'm also interested in entrepreneurship, and UCLA gives you the option to create a business as your 2nd year project rather than the traditional 6-month consulting project
- Ross requires a global immersion project which is not as important to me

I think it's important to also mention what WASN'T a consideration... both UCLA and Ross gave the impression of student cultures that were collaborative and supportive, NOT "backstabby" and cutthroat. I've heard good things about Duke's student culture also.

I am in the similar boat, got into UCLA with good $$ and Ross with none.. But given my career interest in management consulting I am thinking of choosing Ross over UCLA. Employment statistics favor Ross in that regard.
Director
Director
Send PM
PM me if you want to chat, I also am trying to do MC, and facing the same decision (Got $40k from UCLA and $18k from Duke). How much did UCLA give you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.43
Send PM
Does anyone know the maximum fellowship amount Anderson offers?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
For admitted students - when is Anderson's orientation, i.e. "welcome week"?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
JavertHL wrote:
For admitted students - when is Anderson's orientation, i.e. "welcome week"?

Thanks.

Check out this link: https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/degrees/mb ... erson-days

You can sign up via an admit blast link you got in your e-mail. There's also an agenda up on the admitted students group on Facebook.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Congrats to the recent R2 admits! Look forward to seeing you there in the fall.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Hello iceemano

I am joining Anderson and with similar career interests. Lets connect over email to take the conversation forward; jainpiyushjain@gmail.com

Cheers
PJ

iceemano wrote:
Hi everyone,

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
For those admitted students who are gearing up on stuff from Amazon.com, we are eligible to a free 6 month subscription of their Amazon Student program, which gives us free 2-day shipping and some exclusive offers. It will come in handy for textbooks and stuff for our new homes. If interested, just register your .edu e-mail address to your Amazon account, through the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup ... pe=generic

Best of luck!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived UCLA Anderson Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our UCLA Anderson Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated UCLA Anderson Forum for all fresh things related to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts