Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [39]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [4]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
Re: Believed to have originated from local hospitals, oceangoing garbage [#permalink]
Kudos
I think all the answer choices are incorrect .I found B is wrong because it uses "this" to modify an action or an entire clause.Is it acceptable?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Believed to have originated from local hospitals, oceangoing garbage [#permalink]
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Why is (A) incorrect?

Is it because although Believed correctly modifies garbage, the modifier THAT here incorrectly modifies entire preceding clause
and we need parallelism as suggested better in (B) D and E are total mess since we need FANBOYS to connect two independent clauses.
C is out because of modifier issue. Coma + believed is incorrect.

Hey adkikani ,

'That' in A is actually used as an essential modifier, hence making a wrong meaning.

Moreover as abansal1805 mentioned, it has modifier issue as well.

techiesam wrote:
I think all the answer choices are incorrect .I found B is wrong because it uses "this" to modify an action or an entire clause.Is it acceptable?

Hey techiesam ,

I don't think there is any issue with option B. By using 'and this' , we are trying to convey the result of what happened in the previous clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
Believed to have originated from local hospitals, oceangoing garbage [#permalink]
abhimahna wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Why is (A) incorrect?

Is it because although Believed correctly modifies garbage, the modifier THAT here incorrectly modifies entire preceding clause
and we need parallelism as suggested better in (B) D and E are total mess since we need FANBOYS to connect two independent clauses.
C is out because of modifier issue. Coma + believed is incorrect.

Hey adkikani ,

'That' in A is actually used as an essential modifier, hence making a wrong meaning.

Moreover as abansal1805 mentioned, it has modifier issue as well.

techiesam wrote:

Hey techiesam ,

I don't think there is any issue with option B. By using 'and this' , we are trying to convey the result of what happened in the previous clause.

But Manhattan GMAT says to avoid "this" kind of use of this.It says Finally, on the GMAT, do not use this or these in place of nouns. A sentence such as This is great is unacceptably vague to the GMAT. and this, like every pronoun, refers to some noun phrase, not to any clause.

According to Manhattan GMAT

Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, AND THIS suggests the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of years ago.---The sentence is wrong.

daagh sayantanc2k
any help.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
techiesam I agree that the use of "this" in B is not very GMAT-like. However, there is no better answer. The sentence is clearly trying to convey that the whole situation may be responsible for the levels of pollution. It doesn't make sense to say that the refuse itself "provides an explanation," because we're trying to understand why that refuse/pollution is showing up on beaches, so we need to include the practice of dumping. B is not a very good answer, but the others are worse.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Can any expert suggest why THIS is correct? I thought that the THIS pronoun cannot be used to refer to an entire clause.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
generis GMATNinja Is the usage of "This" to refer to the clause correct? Can a preposition refer to an entire clause? if yes, then which ones can refer to the entire clause.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Believed to have originated from local hospitals, oceangoing garbage [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
abansal1805 wrote:
Believed to have originated from local hospitals, oceangoing garbage scows dump medical refuse that may provide an explanation for the existence of unacceptable levels of pollution at several local beaches.

A. Believed to have originated from local hospitals, oceangoing garbage scows dump medical refuse that
    B. Oceangoing garbage scows dump medical refuse that is believed to have originated from local hospitals, and this
    C. Oceangoing garbage scows dump medical refuse, believed to have originated from local hospitals, that
    D. Originated, it is believed, from local hospitals, an oceangoing garbage scow dumps medical refuse and
    E. Originating, it is believed, from local hospitals, oceangoing garbage scows dump medical refuse and

Arvind42 wrote:
generis GMATNinja Is the usage of "This" to refer to the clause correct? Can a preposition refer to an entire clause? if yes, then which ones can refer to the entire clause.

Hi Arvind42 , up to now, GMAC has not accepted the use of this to refer to a clause or the idea or event described by that clause.

Some grammar constructions have no gray areas.
Subjects and verbs must agree.
Fragments or comma splices are incorrect.

We cannot predict with certainty what GMAC will do next in areas that occasionally become gray areas.

Will GMAC publish a question in 2021 in which "this" is allowed to refer to a clause?
Highly doubtful. But I cannot give you a guarantee.

I am 99 percent certain that GMAC will not allow THIS to stand for a clause.
For example, in one official question that has appeared year after year in the guide, the word this is used as it is in (B) here,
and the official explanation contains exactly one sentence about (D): The referent of THIS is unclear.

Spoiler alert: One incorrect answer to the official question just referenced is revealed.
In this official question (OG 2020 #879), HERE, the OE rejects (D) solely because "[the word] THIS has no clear referent." In that option D, this is supposed to refer to the facts described in the clause.

The rule seems clear enough.

Dmitry Farber, above, wrote a great answer.
This question is not very GMAT-like.
The other four options contain errors that are worse than the "this" error.

Takeaway: I am 99 percent that GMAC would not allow "this" to stand for an entire clause or an unstated idea.
In this question, we choose option (B) despite what is almost certain error in its use of "this" because (B) is the best of the lot.

I hope that analysis helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V37
Send PM
Can you please tell what is wrong with Option C

Oceangoing garbage scows dump medical refuse, believed to have originated from local hospitals, that may provide an explanation for the existence of unacceptable levels of pollution at several local beaches.

Here "that" is referring to "dump medical refuse", which may provide an explanation for the existence of unacceptable levels of pollution at several local beaches.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos