Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
I have my car and I can't imagine not having it here. I live in the South Loop and have a parking space in my building that costs $100/month. I will admit that street parking in Chicago is a money pit. However, I don't have a car payment and pay less than $75/month for insurance so it's worth it to me to have the convenience of my car. I rarely take the metra, but will hop on the subway or a bus when CTA is more convenient than looking for street parking.

I know people with cars who live in a bunch of different neighborhoods (The Loop, SLoop, Streeterville, Hyde Park, Wicker Park, etc.). I think it's really a matter of preference. You'll be fine without one, but you'll also be fine with one.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
urarunner2 wrote:
To follow up on Cheetarah's comment, plenty of students do not have cars and get along fine. I didn't being my car but I thought it. In the end, I didn't want to worry about finding parking on campus or paying the large parking fee for my building (garage parking in Chicago can easily be $200+ a month). However, there are plenty of students who do bring their cars if you need to go to Costco or want a ride to or from campus.

You owe me gas money, Reese's peanut butter cups, and Skittles.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Kudos
cheetarah1980 wrote:
urarunner2 wrote:
To follow up on Cheetarah's comment, plenty of students do not have cars and get along fine. I didn't being my car but I thought it. In the end, I didn't want to worry about finding parking on campus or paying the large parking fee for my building (garage parking in Chicago can easily be $200+ a month). However, there are plenty of students who do bring their cars if you need to go to Costco or want a ride to or from campus.

You owe me gas money, Reese's peanut butter cups, and Skittles.

My charming personality more than makes up for the lack of gas money. I ate the peanut butter cups and Skittles.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
4/24-27

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
redrose521 wrote:
Do any students bring their pets? If so, is it convenient?

I have a cat and he is so sweet - I found him near my current apartment after he got lost because his original owner moved away... I don't want to give him up but am wondering how easy it is to bring pets... Thanks a bunch!

Yes, it's pretty common. There's even a Facebook group called Booth Tails (213 members strong) devoted to furry friends. Just make sure you ask when you're apartment searching. Some places prohibit pets (or just dogs) and most charge an additional fee or deposit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I thought Booz stopped reimbursing second year tuition a year or two ago, but I could definitely be wrong. I have over 100 data points that indicate MBB absolutely do not. They only offer sponsorship to those who worked there pre-MBA. For the latest on consulting comp, I've found this site to be the most accurate. WSO isn't bad either.

https://managementconsulted.com/consulti ... a-interns/

Also, elite consultancies definitely recruit at lower ranked schools than Ross. My class this summer includes folks from several top 20 (non top-10) schools. Below the top 10-12 schools (which offer unlimited geographic flexibility), many firms only recruit regionally. Fuqua feeds mid-Atlantic offices, Goizueta to Atlanta, Anderson to west coast offices, etc.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
The short version
You can go anywhere, and there's nothing you need to do now. Career Services and the 2Y's will help you figure it all out once you get on campus.

The long version
In general, any firm that comes to Booth offers near-complete geographic flexibility. The consulting firms typically each host an all-firm corporate conversation on-campus in mid-October, to which they bring 30-100 (depending on the firm; MBB on the high end) consultants from all over the world. The local recruiters will match you up with consultants from the office(s) you're interested in and also host region- and office- specific events in Chicago. For example, there might be a McKinsey NY/NJ lunch on campus or a Bain southern office dinner in the Loop.

Almost all first-round interviews are in Chicago (most on campus). Many of the firms will fly you to your preferred office for final rounds.

With regards to allocating slots, there's not a lot of magic. My sense is that the same people would get offers whether they were at HBS, Booth, or Ross. Small offices have more variable needs, so may be easier or tougher in some years than others, but there's no way to predict. There are only a few offices (Bay Area) that I would say are categorically tougher to get into. If a firm wants you, they will try hard to slot you into your top (or maybe 2nd) choice office. I never got the sense that they would decline a candidate based on office preference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
anyone know when the admitted students weekend is?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
dinho wrote:

Admitted student weekend is February 6-8, I asked on my admit call.

It sounds like they are also hosting admitted student events in various cities around the US. The event in DC is January 16th if I remember correctly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
candidate2014 wrote:
dinho wrote:

It sounds like they are also hosting admitted student events in various cities around the US. The event in DC is January 16th if I remember correctly.

:) of course they made it the same weekend as the Kellogg admitted students weekend. That will make things difficult
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dinho wrote:
candidate2014 wrote:
dinho wrote:

:) of course they made it the same weekend as the Kellogg admitted students weekend. That will make things difficult

I believe the same thing happened last year (if my memory of prior year threads is accurate). From the comments, it seems like it was pretty easy to do one day at Booth (consensus was Friday) and one day at Kellogg (Saturday)... YMMV
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
I saw the updated status on the website, but I have yet to receive any sort of welcome email. Have others received an email with details?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello everyone!

I'm excited to have been accepted and look forward to chatting with all of you. I am already (with my wife leading the charge) looking at apartment options around Millenium Park and South Loop. Anyone else doing some housing investigating yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
HBK2016 wrote:
I saw the updated status on the website, but I have yet to receive any sort of welcome email. Have others received an email with details?

None at my end either. I was told on the call about a welcome packet being sent via USPS. I assume that would have all the details
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
engazapp wrote:
HBK2016 wrote:

None at my end either. I was told on the call about a welcome packet being sent via USPS. I assume that would have all the details

Same here. I was so spaced out on the call from the immense ~36 hours of stress and the sudden immense relief that I missed all the details!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 4
Send PM
HWTMB wrote:
engazapp wrote:
HBK2016 wrote:

Same here. I was so spaced out on the call from the immense ~36 hours of stress and the sudden immense relief that I missed all the details!

Ha, I agree totally regarding the stress. Yesterday was a brutal day waiting for Booth, Ross and Kellogg (which never came). I felt exhausted at the end of the day and all I did was sit at a desk and stare at my phone (and check this forum).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No email for me either. Was told to expect it today.

My wife has started the housing hunt as well, but in Hyde Park as I'd be coming with two children as well :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts